Grado Fan Club!
Apr 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #13,996 of 65,649
  I haven't heard any Grados as of yet. If you guys were to recommend just one model to get for EDM, hip hop and rock music for $200 or under which would it be?

Grados are absolutely amazing for rock the SR225 would be very good here, hip hop will be fine depending on how much bass you desire. For EDM I'd think that Grado will not be to everyones taste - the bass doesn't extend deeply and powerfully down to where a lot of EDM has sub bass and impact - a few EDM tracks with splashy treble might be a bit troublesome, whereas rock isn't.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #13,997 of 65,649
  I haven't heard any Grados as of yet. If you guys were to recommend just one model to get for EDM, hip hop and rock music for $200 or under which would it be?

I depends on how warm you want the sound to be and how much bass (quantity) you want.

If you want more bass/more warmth, the SR80i
If you want more highs/less warmth, the SR225i (perceived better detail)

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #13,998 of 65,649

I depends on how warm you want the sound to be and how much bass (quantity) you want.

\

really? i never found the 80 to have more bass than the 225i, assuming you're using the same pads with both.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #13,999 of 65,649
  Here ya go, something for your new PS1000's

Thanks for the music, I'll check it out later tonight!

The last line that you wrote....that is the key, right there. 
smile.gif

Joseph, glad to hear your first impressions are positive.

When I had my chromed 325is, I just loved the finish.....I liked them better than the flatter metallic finish.

Thanks, I'm getting a nice positive first impression.
And yeah, the chrome is nice!

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #14,000 of 65,649

\

really? i never found the 80 to have more bass than the 225i, assuming you're using the same pads with both.

I was talking about the respective stock pads.
I never found the midrange Grado to play well with the flat pads (imo), they sounded muffled.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #14,001 of 65,649
I agree they do sound a bit muffled with the (S) cushions. If you want more bass from either the 80/225, or for that matter any SR/RS model, TTVJ flat pads IMO give the most bass but less highs, but also narrow the sound-stage more. IMO the (L) cushions are the ones to go with! And although I've never heard the 225's, I would think they would have a bit more bass than the 80's.

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #14,003 of 65,649
I'm listening to some training on Treatment Planning at work on my iGrado's.

I am always amazed at how under-rated these portable cans are.  Amazing voice and imaging with spoken word.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #14,006 of 65,649

Sounds like you are a real DIY person. Have you looked at the stuff Bottlehead sells? Can you, in your opinion, build an even better amp from scratch as it were? Just wondering here, sure sounds like you totally know what you are doing. I got to hear all 3 Bottlehead amps and they all sounded really great, really liked the one they call the SEX amp as it will work with both low and high imp phones and sounded real good. Only problem I would have with it is it is really quite large. Have a hard time finding a place to put it on my desk or headphone/computer table.

I wouldnt think that I could build one thats better, as I just find schematics online that use the components that I want to use and adapt it to my purposes.  I have just enough skill to follow the dots, and while its a godsend to find a pcb already made of what I'm trying to piece together, most of the time I just point to point most components anyways, or adapt a board or a piece of a board.  I have made my own pcbs....but as anyone who has will say, its very tedious, and the chemicals used arent cheap or easy to work with, but you have no choice sometimes

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #14,007 of 65,649

\

Agreed. I find the 225i's to have both more and tighter bass.

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #14,009 of 65,649
I have a question regarding sr100. I just bought a pair and when I took foams off I saw that right drivers is moving when I push it. Left driver is glued on wrong angle (5 to 10 degrees - left part of the driver is lower, right is higher).
Could it be that Grado made them poorly? 
Is there a way to take drivers of and glue again without destroing cups?

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #14,010 of 65,649
  I have a question regarding sr100. I just bought a pair and when I took foams off I saw that right drivers is moving when I push it. Left driver is glued on wrong angle (5 to 10 degrees - left part of the driver is lower, right is higher).
Could it be that Grado made them poorly? 
Is there a way to take drivers of and glue again without destroing cups?

if you made a considerable investment in these vintage cans, you could always have Grado do the work for you. You can shoot them an email, I suspect they won't charge you much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back