Grado Fan Club!
Mar 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #12,872 of 65,645

What kind of music do you tend to use the LCD-2 for vs your Grados? 

Just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

my 2c mark....

i now have some good headtime on the LCD-2 and trying to find some LCD-X to try out. for jazz/classical, i'm going to call it pretty even with my RS1 (i'm not super into jazz/classical so i'm no authority on what should sound better), i actually prefer the soundstage on the rs1 because of the intimacy especially for jazz. for anything with bass (as in modern pop/hip hop/EDM) it's not even a question to be asked...LCD-2. for acoustic / rock / metal / guitar based or even ambient stuff....it's a harder game to play. for me, i prefer my rs1 very ,much to the LCD-2 in this regard but the audeze do not sound bad at all, in fact they are beautiful, fast, and remarkably accurate. they just don't have that "grado sound" which i prefer. i'm hoping to replace my he400 with some lcd-2 next christmas as i have a large collection of "bass music"

if i HAD to own only one, i'd get a second job and own both. variety is the spice of life, and planars / grados make a very complimentary pair IME/IMO

i should add one thing that doesn't get talked about much...but every planar i've heard (including my he400 and the lcd-2) don't sound nearly as good at really low volumes, they lose a lot of presence. in this category, the grados are the best i've ever heard, when using lower than reference volumes grados sound amazing.

Cool stuff. We both know how flipping great Grados are with metal!

My tastes are veering into the classic jazz realm more so than classic, but I will always be an old rocker and metal guy at heart. I have a growing but fairly small ambient, electronic collection and pop/indie but it's relatively small. (let me give a sidebar thumbs up on the new St. Vincent)

Sounds like a toss up. My take away from your post is that you're able to get quite a bit of mileage with the RS1. I dig my 225i and honestly my HP listening is pretty small percentage wise vs speakers, but sometimes I wonder if I want something a little "more". More what? That's the question I have to figure out
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #12,873 of 65,645

I got mine from e-bay from the seller Bioscience geek.....you get to pick the tin you want, the opamp, volume pod ,led color ect.......a 9 volt battery last forever in it.  $40

He also solders in the opamp socket so you can swap out opamps quickly, without having to do any soldering yourself.

Makes for a great cheap and portable solution....hooked up to a sanza clip zip that plays flac files.

I use iem's with my cmoy as my bedside rig, the isolation on the iems is great and does not bother my wife.

At last, I can use the quote function again.

I know that they're just made of tin, but at that price, they can't be making much profit.
confused.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #12,874 of 65,645
Well look what I found in town!

Fiio A1 speaker amp, 14 watts, small, light and has receive some great reviews. Paid $65, it's been discontinued for a while so I was surprised to find one. Once I get the appropriate cables I'm going to use it with the LCD-2s. Cheaper than the lyr or emotiva and smaller.

nice !

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #12,875 of 65,645
I gotta say, I'm really, really enjoying the heck out of these SR325is when I get some head time with them. Kinda wish I had gotten them for myself! Haha

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #12,876 of 65,645
I gotta say, I'm really, really enjoying the heck out of these SR325is when I get some head time with them. Kinda wish I had gotten them for myself! Haha

Who did you buy them for ?

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #12,878 of 65,645
My roommate for his bday. Everyone deserves at least one set of good sound!

Wow....great birthday gift....he should really enjoy!

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #12,881 of 65,645
  If anybody wants to know, I'd love some GS1000i's for my birthday!! My birthday is on whatever day those headphones show up here.

lol, how bad do you want them ??

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #12,882 of 65,645

same.

i'm mad i didn't bring mine back with me to my parents house for spring break!

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #12,885 of 65,645
  Well, I heard the Grado sound for the first time today via a new pair of iGrados.  Beautiful sound and quite comfortable... when I put them on right side up.

+1
I really like the iGrado's.  I keep a pair at work, and when  I see someone using crappy headphones with their cellphone or whatever, I let them give the iGrado's a shot.  The looks on their faces are priceless.

Easily the most under-rated headphone that I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back