Grado Fan Club!
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #11,176 of 65,674
Here is a sneak peek at what I got my son for Christmas.

Thanks to Rick B here at the forums for the great deal on the 225i's....they even came with a set of TTVJ flat pads!

The modi is new, the cans and the amp are used...but both are in fantastic condition.

My son is going to be so pumped!

My sister got him a cd...AC/DC Live At River Plate....gonna be a rocking Christmas
L3000.gif

Glad he is not a member here...no sneak peek for him!

i've have that same set up, it is sweet indeed, !!

hey, i just learned how to do the spoiler, although i kinda messed it up !! lol
eek.gif

very nice christmas present whirlwind !!

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #11,177 of 65,674
Thanks guys.

I can't wait to see his face when he gets it.

When he gets it all set up, I will give it a listen.

I did plug the 225's in my amp, to make sure they worked ok....but I did not listen for very long, in fear he may come home.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #11,179 of 65,674
And all the talk of RS1i's is making me want to spend some serious money :D

Mine should be here Thursday 
smily_headphones1.gif

And I'm pretty sure there will be a new (to me) LD1+ under the tree in the morning. I'll be able to give the Bushmills a listen on it before I ship them out on Thursday and just in time for the RS1's to arrive on Thursday. Can't wait!

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #11,180 of 65,674
You guys will like the LD1+

It is a great little amp for the money.

Being able to roll tubes and opamps is a great option at a very affordable price.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #11,181 of 65,674
  You guys will like the LD1+

It is a great little amp for the money.

Being able to roll tubes and opamps is a great option at a very affordable price.

Yeah, I loved mine until I killed it...lol

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #11,183 of 65,674
  Mine should be here Thursday 
smily_headphones1.gif

And I'm pretty sure there will be a new (to me) LD1+ under the tree in the morning. I'll be able to give the Bushmills a listen on it before I ship them out on Thursday and just in time for the RS1's to arrive on Thursday. Can't wait!

the ld 1+ and the rs1 are great together thats for sure

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #11,184 of 65,674
  This might be a stupid question... but is there any danger in plugging heaphones in and out of the amp whilst it is turned on?

Not a stupid question, at all. I used to wonder the same thing, but I still did it as long as the volume was all the way down, When I received the WA6, in the manual it states it is perfectly fine to plug/unplug headphones as long as the volume is all the way down, there is no harm to the amp/headphones. So being I always did this, this just reassured me.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #11,185 of 65,674
  Not a stupid question, at all. I used to wonder the same thing, but I still did it as long as the volume was all the way down, When I received the WA6, in the manual it states it is perfectly fine to plug/unplug headphones as long as the volume is all the way down, there is no harm to the amp/headphones. So being I always did this, this just reassured me.

Thanks for that! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Another question... whilst i'm saving up for my DAC, I have to plug the little dot amp into my sound card... this only has a 3.5mm jack output (that I can use) and this has an on-board amplifier... 
I will have to get (or make) a splitter from the 3.5mm jack to RCA's... will this be ok considering that the jack on the sound card already has an amplifier on the card?

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #11,186 of 65,674
  Thanks for that! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Another question... whilst i'm saving up for my DAC, I have to plug the little dot amp into my sound card... this only has a 3.5mm jack output (that I can use) and this has an on-board amplifier... 
I will have to get (or make) a splitter from the 3.5mm jack to RCA's... will this be ok considering that the jack on the sound card already has an amplifier on the card?

connect to the 'green' line out on the soundcard. 

Here is the page form your soundcards manual. Assuming it is the one in your profile.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #11,188 of 65,674
My LD1+ came with a 1/8 or 3.5mm terminated end to L/R RCA jacks. Didn't yours? If yes, you plug the 1/8 or 3.5mm to the output on the sound card and the L/R into the LD1+. If not you can buy one, check Monoprice or Amazon.
As far as the 2nd question, I had ordered the AudioQuest DF, which I returned, ( I'm not sure but I think this is the same thing as a sound card), their both DACS? Anyway I believe that all DACs have amps in them, and I also was wondering the same thing, would it effect the sound of the main amp (LD) that the headphones were plugged into? I believe it is a very slight amplification coming out of the sound card/DAC, so I don't believe it would effect the amps sound, but don't quote me on this, I'm sure someone else can tell you for sure.
BTW, good question! I would like to know for sure also.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #11,189 of 65,674
Looks like this soundcard in particular supports line level input to the receiver/AV system (in this case that would be the Little Dot) or powered speakers.  It should be just fine.  Just adjust the volume of the software to max (or 90% of max) and use the amps volume control for the headphones.  You may need to play with the two volumes levels to get the best sound. Once you get a DAC and hook it up, it will more than likely Max the volume of the computer automatically for you.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #11,190 of 65,674
  Looks like this soundcard in particular supports line level input to the receiver/AV system (in this case that would be the Little Dot) or powered speakers.  It should be just fine.  Just adjust the volume of the software to max (or 90% of max) and use the amps volume control for the headphones.  You may need to play with the two volumes levels to get the best sound. Once you get a DAC and hook it up, it will more than likely Max the volume of the computer automatically for you.

So is a DAC and a sound card the same thing?
I did notice the AQ DG still let me use the MBP's volume, but the Modi/Meridian maxes the volume out automatically like you just said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back