Grado Fan Club!
Dec 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #10,876 of 65,867
Bought a pair of SR60 10 years ago . Loved them then and still love them now after thousands of listening hours . They were a best buy in Stéréophile list and still are now . A good Quality product will last for years and the company has lived with its tradition and keep selling the same lineup since then instead of doing like others and changing models every years . What a smart move in my opinion.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #10,877 of 65,867

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #10,878 of 65,867
They are definitely Grado. From the cheesy packaging, the cheapish build feel, the hated Grado cable, right down to that beloved Grado sound. Sadly I don't have the equipment to make my Grados really sing since my LD1+ died, but using my Cmoy and Keces DAC, I manage to get by. Anyways, playing some tracks off Foobar2000, so far I can't say much...they are Grados. Those that were worried that the Grado sound would be lost with the closed back, don't be, it wasn't. I will say that Grado might be on to something with the closed back....these things are bass monsters (for a Grado). Still has the ever present highend, mids a bit muddy maybe? I think that's going to be a lot due to my equipment and needing some burn time. Just my very initial impression after just a few songs so far.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #10,879 of 65,867
  They are definitely Grado. From the cheesy packaging, the cheapish build feel, the hated Grado cable, right down to that beloved Grado sound. Sadly I don't have the equipment to make my Grados really sing since my LD1+ died, but using my Cmoy and Keces DAC, I manage to get by. Anyways, playing some tracks off Foobar2000, so far I can't say much...they are Grados. Those that were worried that the Grado sound would be lost with the closed back, don't be, it wasn't. I will say that Grado might be on to something with the closed back....these things are bass monsters (for a Grado). Still has the ever present highend, mids a bit muddy maybe? I think that's going to be a lot due to my equipment and needing some burn time. Just my very initial impression after just a few songs so far.

I am looking to sell my LD1+, reason being between all of my components, I now own 6 amps, it is in excellent condition! (I have everything it originally came with + upgrades). PM me if you are interested. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #10,880 of 65,867
PM'ed.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #10,882 of 65,867
Hi guys, I wondering if someone can help me out. I currently own a pair of HD600s but don't like them. They just aren't exciting enough for me to get into the music. I'm not sure if the correct term is veiled, but I definitely know what people are talking about when they mention it. Things get better when I turn the volume up, but not at the loss of my hearing. Therefore, I'm considering either the SR225i, SR325i or RS2i, although the RS2i is out of my price range so it's going to have to be pretty damn impressive for me to buy them.

1. What are the differences between the three cans?
2. I mostly listen to rock (classic, alternative, indie, folk). Think artists like Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Stone Roses, John Mayer, Arcade Fire, Pavement, The National, Bright Eyes but also My Bloody Valentine, Sigur Ros, Stevie Wonder, and some pop . I know that Grado are renowned for being rock cans, but does any particular model handle these genres better (I won't be listening to metal whatsoever)?

The headphones will be used with an O2 amp without the ODAC, although I'm planning on getting this soon.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #10,883 of 65,867
I've never heard the RS2 but I owned the 225 and 325 at the same time. The 325 has a bit more bass and treble. The 325 is also heavier and not as comfortable over longer periods of time. If your music is lossless or high quality mp3 then I recommend the 325. The 225 is better for more aggressive music. also regardless of which one you go with make sure to try the tape mod. Basically add some electrical tape around the outside of the ear pads. Slightly warmer sound signature that a lot of people like.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #10,885 of 65,867
  Hi guys, I wondering if someone can help me out. I currently own a pair of HD600s but don't like them. They just aren't exciting enough for me to get into the music. I'm not sure if the correct term is veiled, but I definitely know what people are talking about when they mention it. Things get better when I turn the volume up, but not at the loss of my hearing. Therefore, I'm considering either the SR225i, SR325i or RS2i, although the RS2i is out of my price range so it's going to have to be pretty damn impressive for me to buy them.

1. What are the differences between the three cans?
2. I mostly listen to rock (classic, alternative, indie, folk). Think artists like Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Stone Roses, John Mayer, Arcade Fire, Pavement, The National, Bright Eyes but also My Bloody Valentine, Sigur Ros, Stevie Wonder, and some pop . I know that Grado are renowned for being rock cans, but does any particular model handle these genres better (I won't be listening to metal whatsoever)?

The headphones will be used with an O2 amp without the ODAC, although I'm planning on getting this soon.

Grado is perfect for you. They are anything but veiled. Keep in mind, if you like lots of bass, you'll miss that with Grados but they do highs/mids wonderfully. I have the 325's and they are awesome. I recommend them to anyone. Especially if you mod them and use the G-cushes. I've listened to the RS1 and RS2 and they are also wonderful. To my ears, not enough difference between those two to warrant the price difference. The RS2 seemed slightly warmer in sound, not sure if more refined is exactly how I'd describe them but there's certainly something to the woodies that make the special. I just received my Bushmill woodies today and so far they've been simply awesome. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #10,886 of 65,867
  Grado is perfect for you. They are anything but veiled. Keep in mind, if you like lots of bass, you'll miss that with Grados but they do highs/mids wonderfully. I have the 325's and they are awesome. I recommend them to anyone. Especially if you mod them and use the G-cushes. I've listened to the RS1 and RS2 and they are also wonderful. To my ears, not enough difference between those two to warrant the price difference. The RS2 seemed slightly warmer in sound, not sure if more refined is exactly how I'd describe them but there's certainly something to the woodies that make the special. I just received my Bushmill woodies today and so far they've been simply awesome. 

I'm curious as to what music you listen to? I think what it will come down to is which particular model is better suited for my kind of music (softer rock as opposed to more aggressive, harder rock). I've heard people say that the 325is are more aggressive, although there are a few who say that the 225is are more aggressive. Do you think the agressiveness of the model is a good way to come to a decision, considering I won't have the chance to test them?

By the way, I just want to make it clear that the models I'm looking to buy will be the "is" just in case that changes anyone's opinion.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #10,887 of 65,867
  Thanks for the interest, but ArmAndHammer had responded to my offer, and I'm waiting to from him again shortly. I'll let you know what happens.
Also keep in mind shipping costs, I'm in the U.S.A

i had decided to move mine, joedoe is going to drive up from birmingham to pick it up , i just wasn't using it much, and the vali is very good with the rs1i right now, very dynamic

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #10,888 of 65,867

I'm curious as to what music you listen to? I think what it will come down to is which particular model is better suited for my kind of music (softer rock as opposed to more aggressive, harder rock). I've heard people say that the 325is are more aggressive, although there are a few who say that the 225is are more aggressive. Do you think the agressiveness of the model is a good way to come to a decision, considering I won't have the chance to test them?

By the way, I just want to make it clear that the models I'm looking to buy will be the "is" just in case that changes anyone's opinion.

Pretty wide variety. A lot of rock, both classic and modern stuff. A little metal. Been hitting up some country lately which the Grados do great with. Some metal. Blues. My favorite is acoustic stuff. The Grados are just fantastic with acoustic music. Again, stuff that's really bass heavy wouldn't be the best match although the Bushmills might be a game changer. These bad boys have a lot of bass.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #10,889 of 65,867

i had decided to move mine, joedoe is going to drive up from birmingham to pick it up , i just wasn't using it much, and the vali is very good with the rs1i right now, very dynamic

To most this might sound strange, but I use my 325's at the desktop, and prefer the sound (after switching the other day) of the Magni/Modi combo over the LD/Modi. I've always said the opposite of most 325 owners, where mine are not bright/harsh at all from day one, and the LD is a bit warm for them to me, and I've already changed the OP-AMP (B-B 2107) and the tubes. But being I got the WA6, (not going nuts trying tubes for both amps), I'd rather roll these tubes instead. As a matter of fact I already ordered different driver tubes for the WA6 just for fun, plus the M/M is brighter sounding to me for the 325's, so I prefer this combo and don't want the LD to sit packed away forever.
Glad to hear your enjoying your Vali!!!

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #10,890 of 65,867

Do you think the agressiveness of the model is a good way to come to a decision, considering I won't have the chance to test them?

You must live in a country that does not have amazon.  Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back