Grado Fan Club!
Nov 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #10,636 of 65,636
another thing i've noticed in using the lcd vs a grado, its like i'm learning to listen differently, if that makes any sense
i did for the first time listen to some classical with the lcd, that was pretty damn good !
some of the "newness" is wearing off, while i love its sound, the rs1 has more soul, more "IT" for me

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #10,637 of 65,636
I used to own Senns HD600, wich had a big soundstage and ressesed mids,

This is the first time I think I've ever read someone stating the HD600 has a recessed midrange.

its possible, but i'm not quite there yet !!
seriously, the rs1 and the 500 just complement each other so well to me, and while having the same grado sense of space, pace
the lcd's are great, but they are a  different breed, huge sound stage, deeeeeep bass

but before i get another 500, i'm curious now about a gs1000i, who knows what'll show up here next

Likewise this is the first time I've seen someone refer to the LCD2 having a huge soundstage. Usually I hear that the soundstage was very closed and small for a Top model. My TH600 soundstage must be massive compared to Grado's if that is true.

Either way it makes me more intrigued to hear a Grado model, to see how intimate it really is and how far forward the mids must be to make a HD600 seem recessed. I'll admit the PS1000 would interest me a lot if it was not $2500 odd dollars here.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #10,638 of 65,636

This is the first time I think I've ever read someone stating the HD600 has a recessed midrange.

Likewise this is the first time I've seen someone refer to the LCD2 having a huge soundstage. Usually I hear that the soundstage was very closed and small for a Top model. My TH600 soundstage must be massive compared to Grado's if that is true.

Either way it makes me more intrigued to hear a Grado model, to see how intimate it really is and how far forward the mids must be to make a HD600 seem recessed. I'll admit the PS1000 would interest me a lot if it was not $2500 odd dollars here.

I meant that, relatively speaking of course, the HD600 has a recessed midrange compared to, say, RS1is.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #10,639 of 65,636

I meant that, relatively speaking of course, the HD600 has a recessed midrange compared to, say, RS1is.

Guess it's very subjective. I have both (mid-range junkie 
wink.gif
 ).  Both have a slightly forward mid-range - and I wouldn't actually pick one over the other.  I'd be the last to say the HD600 mid-range is recessed in any way - even compared to the RS1.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #10,640 of 65,636
  that's exactly how its playing out with the lcd2's, sometimes something with them seemed to not be to my liking, but i couldn't really tell what it was, then i'd put the rs1i back on, it was the sense of intimacy !,  also, comapred to the rs1, the lcd can seem slow sometimes

I've never had the chance to audition the LCD2/3 long enough to form a solid opinion about them, but I do remember being very impressed on those few occasions that I have spent with them at the Montréal Hi-Fi show.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #10,641 of 65,636

my comments should have carried the disclaimer:  i have limited exposure to headphones other than grado, so take my impressions with a grain of salt

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #10,642 of 65,636

Guess it's very subjective. I have both (mid-range junkie 
wink.gif
 ).  Both have a slightly forward mid-range - and I wouldn't actually pick one over the other.  I'd be the last to say the HD600 mid-range is recessed in any way - even compared to the RS1.

Like you say, ''it's very subjective'', but according to John Grado, you can't have a big soundstage, and intimate mids, now, I sold my HD600 in 2006, when I bought my GS1000, so I'm going on memory alone here, and, well!, let's just say that I'm not nowned for having a very good memory, so take this with the biggest grain of salt you can find.
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #10,643 of 65,636

Like you say, ''it's very subjective'', but according to John Grado, you can't have a big soundstage, and intimate mids, now, I sold my HD600 in 2006, when I bought my GS1000, so I'm going on memory alone here, and, well!, let's just say that I'm not nowned for having a very good memory, so take this with the biggest grain of salt you can find.
wink.gif

Fair enough
beerchug.gif

Just my opinion - but the HD600 doesn't have an overly large sound-stage.  It does have a very realistic sound-stage though - and this is why I personally think the mid range is so good on these classic cans.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #10,644 of 65,636

Fair enough
beerchug.gif

Just my opinion - but the HD600 doesn't have an overly large sound-stage.  It does have a very realistic sound-stage though - and this is why I personally think the mid range is so good on these classic cans.

I agree, the HD600 are famous for having a very natural and neutral midrange, but in my opinion, they have a bigger sounstage than Grado's SR an RS series and less midrange presence.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #10,645 of 65,636

Fair enough
beerchug.gif

when joedoe and i had our "mini-meet"  he brought along his senn 600, and 650, i did not like the 650 at all, and up until i sprung for the audeze, i thought i might buy one, but compared to my rs1, and ps500, i too felt that the mids were just a bit sucked out, but  its probably more that the mids are more forward with the grado's, sometimes it takes me a while to catch on ! lol

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #10,646 of 65,636
biggrin.gif

Could also be that you two guys are hardcore Grado fans that might like the HD600.

Whereas I am a hardcore HD600 fan that quite likes the RS1 classic I have
wink.gif

If I had to choose between the HD600 and RS1 (if I could only have one) - the HD600 would be the one I'd keep.

Like I said gentlemen - very subjective - but there is no doubt that both are great cans that have withstood the test of time.  And both are also considered by many to be classics and best in class for value (in their respective genre/value brackets).

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #10,647 of 65,636
:D

Could also be that you two guys are hardcore Grado fans that might like the HD600.

Whereas I am a hardcore HD600 fan that quite likes the RS1 classic I have :wink:

If I had to choose between the HD600 and RS1 (if I could only have one) - the HD600 would be the one I'd keep.

Like I said gentlemen - very subjective - but there is no doubt that both are great cans that have withstood the test of time.  And both are also considered by many to be classics and best in class for value (in their respective genre/value brackets).

Aren't they completely different? @.@

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #10,648 of 65,636
Dec 1, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #10,649 of 65,636
  they do have a completely different sound,but that doesn't mean you can't like them both. :wink:

This !

They are complimentary though 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back