Grado Fan Club!
Apr 26, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #14,087 of 65,730
  I use hot glue all of the time, but I just put a thin ring at the edge of the driver housing at the open side of the driver, not at the driver end. Also if you want/need to take them apart for any reason, just heat them up again and pull them apart.

Yep, that's exactly how I do it too. Makes sure it holds properly but not so much that I can't take em apart again when I need to.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #14,088 of 65,730

Usually there is no need to put glue between the drivers and the sleeves because the fit is so snug.

I think that black star drivers are smaller, I don't see so much glue in my sr60 pair. Maybe (just maybe) if I take glue off, driver will be free. At least one of them is loose. The other one seems to be glued harder (maybe even with other kind of glue), shame it's the one that is at angle.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #14,089 of 65,730
  I use hot glue all of the time, but I just put a thin ring at the edge of the driver housing at the open side of the driver, not at the driver end. Also if you want/need to take them apart for any reason, just heat them up again and pull them apart.

So you put the glue on outer ring when the driver sits in cups? Won't they move inside if you turn cups upside down?

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #14,091 of 65,730

I think that black star drivers are smaller, I don't see so much glue in my sr60 pair. Maybe (just maybe) if I take glue off, driver will be free. At least one of them is loose. The other one seems to be glued harder (maybe even with other kind of glue), shame it's the one that is at angle.

I suspect you may be right. I was looking at the pictures again, and it looks like there is more room around the driver than you would see on later RS versions...

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #14,092 of 65,730
It must be the pads. Mine are new and with regular pads and bass is good - a smidge more than neutral but not bloated or bleeding into mids at all. I really like the treble because with my high freq hearing loss they sound perfectly neutral and clear. Yeah, they are probably too bright for the under 40 crowd
wink.gif

Maybe the pads, I repositioned the L cushions a bit and that seem to stop most of the vibration.  I just ordered a pair of the original S cushions/pads from B&H Photo.  They should be here in a couple of days.  I'll give them a try and see what happens.  I can live with the highs.  They are crisp and clear.  Sound quality is nothing to write home about but maybe it will improve with the original pads installed.

I received the S cushions today from B&H Photo.  Slapped them on and it has solved most of my problems. 

Much more comfortable than the L cushions, IMO.  And, the S cushions have tamed the treble just a bit and brought it back into a more pleasant range.  SQ had improved a bit with the installation of the S cushions.  Still not blown away at the SQ of the grados (this is my first pair) but maybe they will grow on me.  After all, I only paid $38 for them so not in too much of pinch if I decide to sell them.

BTW, the L cushions are going up on eBay.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll link you up.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #14,094 of 65,730

So you put the glue on outer ring when the driver sits in cups? Won't they move inside if you turn cups upside down?

I'm sorry, I used the wrong words when I described were I put the glue. Clean ALL of the glue off the driver/cups. Put a thin ring of hot glue around the inside the (CUP), about 3/16"-1/4" from the edge of the (CUP), then slide the driver housing into the cup, this way you will not see any glue or have a mess, and let the glue dry, hot glue dries pretty quickly. Sorry for the wrong description of pieces. I'm going to delete that post!
Do you follow what I'm saying?

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #14,095 of 65,730
  I'm sorry, I used the wrong words when I described were I put the glue. Clean ALL of the glue off the driver/cups. Put a thin ring of hot glue around the inside the (CUP), about 3/16"-1/4" from the edge of the (CUP), then slide the driver housing into the cup, this way you will not see any glue or have a mess, and let the glue dry, hot glue dries pretty quickly. Sorry for the wrong description of pieces. I'm going to delete that post!
Do you follow what I'm saying?

lol, funny but I understood your original post the intended way... Guess it takes some Grado modding to get used to where the glue goes. Hard to put it anywhere else anyway.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #14,096 of 65,730

lol, funny but I understood your original post the intended way... Guess it takes some Grado modding to get used to where the glue goes. Hard to put it anywhere else anyway.

Got my pieces mixed up there for a minute…even fooled you, lol!
If you put the glue on the driver housing then slide it into the cup, the glue winds up at the edge of the cup because of the tight fit... making a very sloppy mess!

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #14,097 of 65,730
  Got my pieces mixed up there for a minute…even fooled you, lol!
If you put the glue on the driver housing then slide it into the cup, the glue winds up at the edge of the cup because of the tight fit... making a very sloppy mess!

Yeah I had the way I did it (which obviously is glue in the cup) in my head when reading your post and didn't pick up on it!

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #14,098 of 65,730
Nice Thread, my Grado RS2i with G cushions sounds so great, I tested also Beyerdynamic T90, Sennheiser HD 700 and AKG K712 PRO but with the RS2i I'm in love classical music listening. I hope I can test one day the GS1000i
dt880smile.png

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #14,099 of 65,730

Users who are viewing this thread

Back