Grado Fan Club!
Apr 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #13,456 of 66,264

Joseph...the HD650 is Dark

Yes, after doing some research (reading posts) I realized I wouldn't enjoy the dark sound. I just knew that a lot of people liked the 650 with the WA6, so I was curious about them together, but then decided not to do it. You know how this hobby gets you interested in wanting too try everything!!!

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #13,457 of 66,264
Apr 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #13,458 of 66,264
Yeah, I hear you....I mean it actually is a very nice compliment to the RS1i......mainly, because it is just the complete opposite of the Grado sound.

I bought it because of the synergy with the Mad Ear....DR. Peppard designed the mad around it.....I e-mailed him about it and he confirmed in the e-mail.....so I figured....why not....I already have the amp.

I listened to it for 10 straight days.....so I would not make ant\f premature judgement on it.......I honestly do not know how anyone can tell what a headphone sounds like in just a few hours...it just does not work that way for me.  I listened to it exclusively for 10 days......no other headphone in that period

Anyhow.....even though I do not like the sound signature near as much as a Grado....mainly because it is dark.......I still like the headphone, because of the great mids and synergy with my amp........they are sort of dark....but still delicious......

Not anywhere near the RS11 for me......but a great compliment because of the completely darker sound.....the mids save it for me..........I mean...that is where music lives for me, anyway.....gotta have great mids first and for most 
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #13,459 of 66,264
  Yeah, I hear you....I mean it actually is a very nice compliment to the RS1i......mainly, because it is just the complete opposite of the Grado sound.

I bought it because of the synergy with the Mad Ear....DR. Peppard designed the mad around it.....I e-mailed him about it and he confirmed in the e-mail.....so I figured....why not....I already have the amp.

I listened to it for 10 straight days.....so I would not make ant\f premature judgement on it.......I honestly do not know how anyone can tell what a headphone sounds like in just a few hours...it just does not work that way for me.  I listened to it exclusively for 10 days......no other headphone in that period

Anyhow.....even though I do not like the sound signature near as much as a Grado....mainly because it is dark.......I still like the headphone, because of the great mids and synergy with my amp........they are sort of dark....but still delicious......

Not anywhere near the RS11 for me......but a great compliment because of the completely darker sound.....the mids save it for me..........I mean...that is where music lives for me, anyway.....gotta have great mids first and for most 
tongue.gif

The mids are where it is for me too. And for the simple fact that you say they don't come anywhere near the RS1 for you, tells me I wouldn't be listening too them, so I wouldn't even bother.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #13,460 of 66,264
  The mids are where it is for me too. And for the simple fact that you say they don't come anywhere near the RS1 for you, tells me I wouldn't be listening too them, so I wouldn't even bother.

Yeah, I can't imagine too many Grado fans, liking a dark headphone.....and that is understandable.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #13,462 of 66,264
  Yes, after doing some research (reading posts) I realized I wouldn't enjoy the dark sound. I just knew that a lot of people liked the 650 with the WA6, so I was curious about them together, but then decided not to do it. You know how this hobby gets you interested in wanting too try everything!!!

The 650 with a Bottlehead Crack is pretty magical in its own right. Excellent synergy, just on the otherside of the spectrum from RS1 + WA6!

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #13,463 of 66,264
I like having the option so I try to keep my headphones as different from each other as possible.

That is the exact reason that I purchased the HD650...and knowing it matched my amp well.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #13,464 of 66,264
Gs1000s came in today. The difference between the lcd2s and the gs1000 plugged into my Roland piano is massive. The gs1000s are miles ahead in piano performance.

I was tempted to buy a nord piano 2 because I felt bored of my pianos sound, but it feels like a new piano all over again.

Sound is subjective, remember that. I'm only talking about piano here. The experience blew the lcds out if the water. I literally could not tell the difference between the headphones and speakers.

I'll say more later about music. I haven't tried them with any other source.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #13,465 of 66,264
Gs1000s came in today. The difference between the lcd2s and the gs1000 plugged into my Roland piano is massive. The gs1000s are miles ahead in piano performance.

I was tempted to buy a nord piano 2 because I felt bored of my pianos sound, but it feels like a new piano all over again.

Sound is subjective, remember that. I'm only talking about piano here. The experience blew the lcds out if the water. I literally could not tell the difference between the headphones and speakers.

i had the lcd2's also, and agree, the gs1000 wipes the floor with them !

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #13,466 of 66,264

That is the exact reason that I purchased the HD650...and knowing it matched my amp well.

The 650 with a Bottlehead Crack is pretty magical in its own right. Excellent synergy, just on the otherside of the spectrum from RS1 + WA6!

I like having the option so I try to keep my headphones as different from each other as possible.

Do the 650's get as much head time for you guys as the RS's?

Congratulations on the GS1Ki's! Enjoy them.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #13,468 of 66,264
Man, you guy's posts really took me back to my years in college at a small liberal arts institution in the Midwest. Drank a lot of beer, smoked a little weed, and listened to Kansas, Pure Prairie League, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, The Rolling Stones, The Grateful Dead, and the list goes on and on. Whatever happened to good ole Rock n' Roll.

theres tons of it still

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #13,470 of 66,264
Do the 650's get as much head time for you guys as the RS's?

I don't own the 650s, either, but I can guarantee you they wouldn't get the head time that the RS1 does, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back