Grado Fan Club!
Oct 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #9,961 of 65,605
  GE 5 Stars 5751. Great synergy with RS1 & PS500 but not so much with the PS1000s
Will be getting a Sylvania 5751 Triple MIca Black Plates shortly

Didn't quite like the 12AX7s. 

Are the 12AX7 2x or are the 12B4A 2x tubes? I was under the impression the 12AX7's were the output tubes which have much more influence on the sound, or is it the power tube that has the influence? which is which, I'm a bit confused? Thanks.
Also what didn't you like about the 12AX7's, wether they are the output tubes or the power tube?

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #9,963 of 65,605
The Sylvania triple mica 5751 is legendary and blows away any Russian version. No offense, just sayin'!

Yea, I was under that impression after doing some reading, which is why I have been watching out for one of these.......I am going to have to try one, and I am very happy with the sound of the 5751 Sovtek....so I can only imagine!

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #9,966 of 65,605
  But are the 5751's the 1x or 2x tube, thats what I'm trying to figure out.
Also are they the power tube/s or the output tube/s? Thanks.

The 5751 is the 1x tube

The 12B4A are the 2x tubes

Only the 1x tube has an effect on the sound, as I understand it.

Ooops....sorry you already had it figured out, while I was still typing.....lol

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #9,967 of 65,605

The 5751 is the 1x tube

The 12B4A are the 2x tubes

Only the 1x tube has an effect on the sound, as I understand it.

I must have mistaken what I read and thought it was the other way around. I thought the 2x tubes were the output for the sound preference, and the 1x tube was the power tube. I thought I had read the 2x tubes had a big influence on the sound and the 1x tube had a minimal influence. Thanks for clearing this up!

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #9,968 of 65,605
Hi,
Hello everyone. I've had the sr325i's for a couple of years now and really love them. I avoided the forums because I didn't want to cave into upgraditis without disposable income. Now that I have some.. I was wondering, what would be the next Grado's headphone to get in keeping with the sound signature of the 325?

I mainly listen to metal with a small amount of classical and soundtrack.

Currently using the xonar essence stx but thinking about upgrading to a woo audio wa7 firefly.

I've been reading threads like this one http://www.head-fi.org/t/442125/what-i-think-gs1000-vs-rs1-vs-rs2-and-vs-sr80/15, and it seems the RS1 would be a nice upgrade to the 325. Would that be a common opinion?

Thanks in advanced for any suggestion and input.
Hi, I have a SR325i before I upgrade to RS1i, the RS1i really worth the upgrade and u need to burn in at least 80 hours but not at initial run. Once you are with RS1i, I will never go down IMO. I am very happy really with the upgrade.

Rgds

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #9,969 of 65,605
Been looking at an amplifier for my Grado's... Obviously a lot of people recommend the Little Dot I+, but there is also the Little Dot MKIII.  Now from what I understand the I+ has (@32Ohms) an output of 800mW where the MKIII has an output of 100mW.  Can someone tell me what this means? Will 800mW drive the cans better?  

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #9,970 of 65,605
Generally speaking, low impedance cans are current driven, while high impedance cans are voltage driven

The Little Dot I+  is specifically designed and optimized to drive low impedance headphones like Grados.

Low impedance headphones require high current output to sound their most dynamic and impactful, and the Little Dot I+ provides this as well as a touch of tube warmth.

I own the LD1+ and it is wonderful with my RS1i & SR60i...for the price, I can't recommend it enough....great little amp with the option to roll tubes and opamps....makes it a great bang for the buck.

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #9,971 of 65,605
  Generally speaking, low impedance cans are current driven, while high impedance cans are voltage driven

The Little Dot I+  is specifically designed and optimized to drive low impedance headphones like Grados.

Low impedance headphones require high current output to sound their most dynamic and impactful, and the Little Dot I+ provides this as well as a touch of tube warmth.

I own the LD1+ and it is wonderful with my RS1i & SR60i...for the price, I can't recommend it enough....great little amp with the option to roll tubes and opamps....makes it a great bang for the buck.

Thanks for that... I was going to opt for the MKIII due to it being a newer revision, but if the LDI+ is recommended, then that is what I shall go for :)
Plus it's cheaper :D

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #9,972 of 65,605
Great day, today!  My Voshkod tubes arrived this morning and are ready to go into my Little Dot I+ for some trial runs ... as well as the required burn-in period. Also, pictures of my little SR-60 "gems" with the pink driver mesh have been taken to show how great the shape is of these $25.00 wonders.  Also, in a picture or two, you can see the original ear pads and how faded they are.  It is indicative of the original owner using these headphones only periodically, but never taking the time to freshen them up from time-to-time with a fresh set of Grado "Comfies" for $9.99.

I also have a slight suspicion that the following pair of Grado SR-60 headphones available on the UK Ebay site "might" be the pink edition, too.  The owner selling them is the original owner.  It might not hurt to contact the owner and have them reply back via Ebay by attaching a photo of the drivers with the ear pads removed.  If so, I think since you would be the only one "in the know" as to the drivers, it may be a great deal.  The bidding hasn't gone that high, but might still fall into a reasonable range.  This seller also has the capability of shipping worldwide and states such in the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-Labs-Prestige-SR60-Headband-Headphones-Black-/271300216899?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3f2ac0c843

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #9,973 of 65,605
I'm not convinced that's a 'pink' SR60 myself ... This one, however, looks promising:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grado-Prestige-SR60-Headband-Headphones-Black-/121193674275?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1c37b4b623

Old style box & the gimbals don't have bumps on the C shaped parts. I asked the owner what colour the mesh was (white or pink) and he said 'black'. Yours look a bit black to me in those photos ... I'd be tempted to take a punt on them if I hadn't just spent all my cash on some RS2 :D

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #9,974 of 65,605
I'm not convinced that's a 'pink' SR60 myself ... This one, however, looks promising:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grado-Prestige-SR60-Headband-Headphones-Black-/121193674275?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1c37b4b623

Old style box & the gimbals don't have bumps on the C shaped parts. I asked the owner what colour the mesh was (white or pink) and he said 'black'. Yours look a bit black to me in those photos ... I'd be tempted to take a punt on them if I hadn't just spent all my cash on some RS2
biggrin.gif

Great day, today!  My Voshkod tubes arrived this morning and are ready to go into my Little Dot I+ for some trial runs ... as well as the required burn-in period. Also, pictures of my little SR-60 "gems" with the pink driver mesh have been taken to show how great the shape is of these $25.00 wonders.  Also, in a picture or two, you can see the original ear pads and how faded they are.  It is indicative of the original owner using these headphones only periodically, but never taking the time to freshen them up from time-to-time with a fresh set of Grado "Comfies" for $9.99.

I also have a slight suspicion that the following pair of Grado SR-60 headphones available on the UK Ebay site "might" be the pink edition, too.  The owner selling them is the original owner.  It might not hurt to contact the owner and have them reply back via Ebay by attaching a photo of the drivers with the ear pads removed.  If so, I think since you would be the only one "in the know" as to the drivers, it may be a great deal.  The bidding hasn't gone that high, but might still fall into a reasonable range.  This seller also has the capability of shipping worldwide and states such in the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-Labs-Prestige-SR60-Headband-Headphones-Black-/271300216899?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3f2ac0c843

I can tell you that neither of them are pinks :frowning2:
Your initial mention of them got me looking for some, but sadly neither have the pink mesh :frowning2:

EDIT: What colour mesh are theses 60's supposed to have? White? Black?  The ones SinnottJ linked are supposed to have a black mesh on them?

EDIT: I didn't read sinnottj's post :p sorryyyyyy :)

Oct 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #9,975 of 65,605

I can tell you that neither of them are pinks :frowning2:
Your initial mention of them got me looking for some, but sadly neither have the pink mesh :frowning2:

EDIT: What colour mesh are theses 60's supposed to have? White? Black?  The ones SinnottJ linked are supposed to have a black mesh on them?

EDIT: I didn't read sinnottj's post :p sorryyyyyy :)

You mean my pair?  They show up pink enough in the pics right?  In person, the pink is a bit more prominent.  I didn't use the flash, but natural light for the pictures, so I tried to depict them as close to real colors as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back