Grado Fan Club!
Aug 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #8,971 of 65,693
I got two Grados in my place this week. An Alessandro MS2 (but with recently replaced MS2i drivers and 8 strand cable) and an older Grado SR225. driving everything from the HA160D.

I’ve never had these both in the house at the same time. (or a 325 and 225 at the same time).

First up, I love the old look of the MS2 cups. I really prefer the flat look compared to the mushroom cups.

In terms of sound, the MS2 sounds bigger and fuller than the 225. slightly larger soundstage. slightly more mid bass and lower mids warmth on the MS2. All comes together to make the MS2 sound a bit more “live”. And although there is a little shout in the upper mids with both, the MS2 seems a little bit more mellow in this area so it’s just right for me. 

I was not a fan of the SR325 as it was the most aggressive Grado I had heard but the MS2 provides a great balance for my ears. And, at 300 bucks (or ~200 used), it’s got one of the better price/performance ratios in the Grado lineup. Very happy with it.

As for the SR225 I think I’ll keep them as a bedroom nightstand headphone.

Here’s a pic of the new MS2 from the person who sold them to me.

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #8,972 of 65,693
Quote:
I got two Grados in my place this week. An Alessandro MS2 (but with recently replaced MS2i drivers and 8 strand cable) and an older Grado SR225. driving everything from the HA160D.

I’ve never had these both in the house at the same time. (or a 325 and 225 at the same time).

First up, I love the old look of the MS2 cups. I really prefer the flat look compared to the mushroom cups.

In terms of sound, the MS2 sounds bigger and fuller than the 225. slightly larger soundstage. slightly more mid bass and lower mids warmth on the MS2. All comes together to make the MS2 sound a bit more “live”. And although there is a little shout in the upper mids with both, the MS2 seems a little bit more mellow in this area so it’s just right for me. 

Random note, but if any of you are on flickr, as I am, I notice that a lot of flickrites are fans of Allesandro series headphones! Just do a search for "Grado labs" and there are a good number of Allesandros represented. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #8,974 of 65,693
Quote:

Who waits on UPS?  If I hear them in my neighborhood, I chase them down and ask for my package.  
size]

i have done that with the mailman !! i had to sign, and i wasn't home, i found him !!

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #8,975 of 65,693
Quote:

I was not a fan of the SR325 as it was the most aggressive Grado I had heard but the MS2 provides a great balance for my ears. And, at 300 bucks (or ~200 used), it’s got one of the better price/performance ratios in the Grado lineup. Very happy with it.

As for the SR225 I think I’ll keep them as a bedroom nightstand headphone.

Here’s a pic of the new MS2 from the person who sold them to me.

This cup style is nicer looking than the newer style cup, and the aluminum finish is much nicer than the sparkle gray finish that I own. Mind you, I have 325is drivers in Alessandro's cups from a driver trade because I preferred the more aggressive sound. Anyway really nice finish on these. I have often thought about removing the sparkle gray with a scotchbrite pad down to the raw aluminum finish so they look like these, but just didn't do it, (YET!).

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #8,976 of 65,693
intitial, first impressions of the two dacs that arrived today
they are both very good !
if i had something about the difference i can hear immediately, the dacIT may have better low end
this may be tough !
really more surprised by the v90, but maybe i didn't expect as much from it as the dacIT

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #8,977 of 65,693
Quote:

Who waits on UPS?  If I hear them in my neighborhood, I chase them down and ask for my package.  
size]

Quote:
i have done that with the mailman !! i had to sign, and i wasn't home, i found him !!

Yeah, I have their routes memorized and I know about where they will be at certain times of the day.  they are also getting to know my vehicle so if they see me they flag me down.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #8,978 of 65,693
PS500 + Meridian Explorer + Little Dot I+ Hybrid =
basshead.gif

I'm having a blast listening to my hi-resolution files through the Meridian Explorer and Little Dot.  Very analog sounding with not a hint of harshness anywhere.  The PS500 is very addicting with this setup.  Thanks jaywillin!

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #8,979 of 65,693
Quote:
PS500 + Meridian Explorer + Little Dot I+ Hybrid =
basshead.gif

I'm having a blast listening to my hi-resolution files through the Meridian Explorer and Little Dot.  Very analog sounding with not a hint of harshness anywhere.  The PS500 is very addicting with this setup.  Thanks jaywillin!

that little set up is killer, i should know, i had it ! lol, glad you like it, its nice knowing the pieces went to a good home !
try the mullard 5am6's, and the rca 5915's , even more layers and textures to the sound
read the little dot thread, there's a chart on page 77, will help you know where the pins go , and don't go
and the guys over there are helpful

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #8,980 of 65,693
Quote:
that little set up is killer, i should know, i had it ! lol, glad you like it, its nice knowing the pieces went to a good home !
try the mullard 5am6's, and the rca 5915's , even more layers and textures to the sound
read the little dot thread, there's a chart on page 77, will help you know where the pins go , and don't go

NO, he must try the RCA 6DT6, literally on a different level then every tube I've used in the Little Dot!... so far...

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #8,981 of 65,693
Quote:
NO, he must try the RCA 6DT6, literally on a different level then every tube I've used in the Little Dot!... so far...

i'm sending him the those tomorrow !
and i just ordered some amperex bugle boys for the lyr

and the dacIT is suuuuuuwheeeeeet !

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #8,982 of 65,693
Quote:

Thanks for the tube recommendations and I'm already bookmarking page 77, looks like it will come in handy in the future.  I can see tube rolling becoming very addicting.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #8,983 of 65,693
size]

Tha should go to the YKAAW thread.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #8,985 of 65,693
Quote:
So, first listen of the RS1is is very positive, still adjusting to not having the LCD's weight and bass though

I think it's awfully hard to find one single headphone that will serve all purposes.  While I enjoy what what my Hifiman and Sennheiser headphones offer, it was great to hear what the GS1000 offered.  Sure, the bass wasn't quite a weighty, but the soundstage was way wider than either of the other headphones could ever provide.  When I flipped back over to the HifiMan and Sennheiser, I thought both were very dark, and narrow sounding.  After a few days of taking a break, I went back to the Sennheiser and Hifiman, then they sounded normal again. 

It all depends upon one's music, and what they want to achieve in listening.  There are often times when I want to listen to lighter, or acoustic music along with wearing a lighter headphone, then that is where the Grado comes into play.  However, if I want to really jam out to some heavier bass music, the Hifiman comes into play.  Meanwhile, if there are other songs that have an excellent mid-range presence, I might prefer the Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back