Grado Fan Club!
May 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #7,293 of 66,252
Great info to share! Thanks. Its comforting to consider the notion that you dont have to spend a fortune to find the "right" headphone. :)

You can get the SR80i and then change out to the L-Cush pads and get 80 to 90% of the way to the SR225i sound. That could be a good way to get your feet wet in Grados :)

May 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #7,294 of 66,252
[…]I recently purchased another pair of 80i's, (because I used to own 80i's but destroyed them by accident, and went straight to the Alessandro MS2i, but they weren't for me, and traded a friend for the 325is. I put some Vibro labs (classic) cups on the 80i's and (L) cushions, and I must say I am enjoying them very, very much, so much I havn't listened to my 325is's in about 2 weeks.[…]

what i'd really like to know is, how waterproof are the Vibro cups? Do i have to put them away instantly during rain, or can i still bike home from the train station(± 10 minutes)?

I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of 80's to replace my RS2's, as those shouldn't really be used as portables.

May 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #7,295 of 66,252
Has anyone vented the drivers on the SR225is and then put on the G-Cush pads?

I know from reading that the G-Cush pads reduce the bass, but venting (even partially, I'm thinking no more than 2 holes) increases it...would it cancel out the reduction effect?

My L pads are getting more comfortable (partially thanks to the new headband, I believe), but circumaural is more comfortable (to me, at least) than supra-aural.

May 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #7,296 of 66,252
Yes I have! and I love it... pop a couple to start and then live with them for a few days... evaluate, and pop more if needed...

May 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #7,297 of 66,252
Quote:
Yes I have! and I love it... pop a couple to start and then live with them for a few days... evaluate, and pop more if needed...

i may have to try that !

May 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #7,298 of 66,252
well, i'm always moving to the next shiny thing, or in the case
headphone, in wanting to try something newer
just put my ms1's with l-cushs on the for sale forum,
if anyone's interested

May 17, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #7,299 of 66,252

Is this the black stuff right on the back of the drivers you're talking about?

Would a combo of popping those + G-cush on the RS2(not RS2i) get me about the same level of bass as non modded with L-cush?

What will it do to my clarity?

May 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #7,300 of 66,252
Quote:
what i'd really like to know is, how waterproof are the Vibro cups? Do i have to put them away instantly during rain, or can i still bike home from the train station(± 10 minutes)?

I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of 80's to replace my RS2's, as those shouldn't really be used as portables.

They're waterproof down to 300'. Just kidding, they are coated with polyurethane, but I wouldn't recommend using them in the rain, plus the drivers would get wet. Other than that they are beautiful.

May 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #7,301 of 66,252
Quote:
Is this the black stuff right on the back of the drivers you're talking about?

Would a combo of popping those + G-cush on the RS2(not RS2i) get me about the same level of bass as non modded with L-cush?

What will it do to my clarity?

Si the black fabric behind the driver, use a ball point pen so you don't damage the driver... on my 225i it did not affect the clarity, just added some bottom end. as far as the rs2 goes I don't know, however you can then use a spent dryer sheet to undo the mod... although it is kinda difficult... so go slowly and live with the changes for awhile before going further...

the whole point of venting plus g-cush is so gain comfort and sound stage, while retaining bass... you will have to find the sweet spot, but yes you can end up with the same about of bass as your non modded l-cush setup.

May 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #7,302 of 66,252
They're waterproof down to 300'. Just kidding, they are coated with polyurethane, but I wouldn't recommend using them in the rain, plus the drivers would get wet. Other than that they are beautiful.

Haha, thanks for the info!

my previous headphones were Koss Portapro, you could practically shower with those on...

-CH23

Si the black fabric behind the driver, use a ball point pen so you don't damage the driver... on my 225i it did not affect the clarity, just added some bottom end. as far as the rs2 goes I don't know, however you can then use a spent dryer sheet to undo the mod... although it is kinda difficult... so go slowly and live with the changes for awhile before going further...

the whole point of venting plus g-cush is so gain comfort and sound stage, while retaining bass... you will have to find the sweet spot, but yes you can end up with the same about of bass as your non modded l-cush setup.

Oh i am definitely going to try this. The L-cush hurt my ears, and increased soundstage is great.

-CH23

May 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #7,303 of 66,252
Quote:
Guys are the 325is great for low level listening?

If not what does? I want a headphone that is great for low level listening, not just good. In other words they sound almost as good at low levels than they do at high ear damaging levels. Thanks.

It's pretty rare that Tyll says anything positive about the Grados, but he did mention that he loves the GS-1000s for low level listening. That was part of the motivation for why I bought a pair, and I've found his statement to be very accurate. That being said, I think the SR80s and 500s are great at low levels, too, it's just that the GS1ks take it to another level. I love all my Grados, but the 500s are still my favorite, slightly nudging out the GS1ks. I used to have the 325s, as well...they just ended up being the odd man out when I got the 500s. The 80s are the headphone that convinced me that I could enjoy this side of the audio hobby as much as I do my speaker rig. I was pretty captivated with the Grado sound from the first minute I put the 80s on my head. I still use them all the time, mainly when Im online surfing around. I really enjoy my Beyerdynamic phones, too, but the Grados just have a more special place in my audio heart :)

May 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #7,304 of 66,252
Focker said:

It's pretty rare that Tyll says anything positive about the Grados, but he did mention that he loves the GS-1000s for low level listening. That was part of the motivation for why I bought a pair, and I've found his statement to be very accurate. That being said, I think the SR80s and 500s are great at low levels, too, it's just that the GS1ks take it to another level. I love all my Grados, but the 500s are still my favorite, slightly nudging out the GS1ks. I used to have the 325s, as well...they just ended up being the odd man out when I got the 500s. The 80s are the headphone that convinced me that I could enjoy this side of the audio hobby as much as I do my speaker rig. I was pretty captivated with the Grado sound from the first minute I put the 80s on my head. I still use them all the time, mainly when Im online surfing around. I really enjoy my Beyerdynamic phones, too, but the Grados just have a more special place in my audio heart :)

Yeah Tyll seems to be against any can that has other than a warm/treble polite signature. At least he's consistant :).

Yes I heard the same thing regarding the GS1000i's and PS1000's. Actually either one of those, especially the later, is my dream headphone right now. 1600 dollars though is hard to swallow. What do you like about the PS500? Does it still, in your opinion, carry the Grado sound signature? Thanks.

May 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #7,305 of 66,252
Quote:
Yeah Tyll seems to be against any can that has other than a warm/treble polite signature. At least he's consistant
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I heard the same thing regarding the GS1000i's and PS1000's. Actually either one of those, especially the later, is my dream headphone right now. 1600 dollars though is hard to swallow. What do you like about the PS500? Does it still, in your opinion, carry the Grado sound signature? Thanks.

The 500s have the Grado signature in terms of what I like best about it, and that's the timbre and realism. Instruments and vocals just sound more natural to me on Grados than any other headphone. The 500s are a bit less bright than many of the other phones in the lineup, and they have a fuller low end, mostly in the mid-bass. Some even consider them bass-heavy, but to my ears it's just more of a fullness to that end of the spectrum. None of the Grados have much sub-bass, so it's just kind of nice to have a little more fullness. The Grado bass is something I've always found addicting, cause it's clean and crisp. I can't stand an overemphasized, bloated, boomy type of low end. It does nothing for me at all. I'll fully say up front, though, that I'm very biased toward Grados. They just do it for me, and I have yet to hear a pair that I didn't love. We all have a particular sound signature that appeals to us most, and John Grado's means of tuning by ear just does it for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back