Grado Fan Club!
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #64,651 of 65,693
Rich ALWAYS responds to my email queries quite quickly. Never had an issue

Yeah, it's cool that they respond to direct emails, but I wish they were more transparent when we reach out in the Facebook group, especially since they're not on Head-Fi. Also, they should have made an effort to communicate the switch to the new, more flexible cable!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #64,652 of 65,693
This is part of the appeal of Grado to me and why I've grown interested in them recently. I feel the last thing we need is another headphone company that will just be bullied into tuning everything to the Harman target.

They could listen to fans about detachable cables though haha. I guess that stubbornness to stick to hardwired cables and do things their own way can be part of the appeal too
Yeah, I respect their unapologetic means of operation. It reminds me of a grandpa that will have it his way every time because he is just 'right' and his wisdom will far overpower anything else. The KISS (keep it simple stupid) model seems to be imminent with their products. Parts have remained simplified over the years so they can invest more time on the driver, which I prefer. I love how they don't try to reinvent the already invented wheel.

Detachable cables would be nice, but a common theme with Grado seems to be aimed at using your equipment how it was originally designed. Rather than going off the beaten path and using things they never permitted or don't make money on. Which guarantees the original experience they've mustarded up. Hell, you can't even get your cans serviced if they have modifications done to them. I admire the approach, but I think detachable cables is outside of their wishlist currently. But, we all know they are capable of doing it. The GW100x has that feature...

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #64,653 of 65,693
Yeah, I respect their unapologetic means of operation. It reminds me of a grandpa that will have it his way every time because he is just 'right' and his wisdom will far overpower anything else. The KISS (keep it simple stupid) model seems to be imminent with their products. Parts have remained simplified over the years so they can invest more time on the driver, which I prefer. I love how they don't try to reinvent the already invented wheel.

Detachable cables would be nice, but a common theme with Grado seems to be aimed at using your equipment how it was originally designed. Rather than going off the beaten path and using things they never permitted or don't make money on. Which guarantees the original experience they've mustarded up. Hell, you can't even get your cans serviced if they have modifications done to them. I admire the approach, but I think detachable cables is outside of their wishlist currently. But, we all know they are capable of doing it. The GW100x has that feature...
GW100x is the only grado that you can't padroll with, so you will only use it as intended.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #64,654 of 65,693
. I admire the approach, but I think detachable cables is outside of their wishlist currently. But, we all know they are capable of doing it. The GW100x has that feature...
detachable cables are sometimes nice, but introduce new points of failure as well… I guess they won’t do it.

A wireless Grado with a fixed cable would have been quite a statement don’t you think :wink:

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #64,655 of 65,693
GW100x is the only grado that you can't padroll with, so you will only use it as intended.
I'm very tempted to scoop a pair. Would have a lot of use in my office, we'll see. I agree though!

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #64,658 of 65,693

Yeah actually I don't even want detachable cables. Just lighter weight and softer cables that are a better ergonomic match to their lightweight headphones would be nice

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #64,659 of 65,693
Meanwhile on this rainy cloudy Saturday catching the last light of the day

gradosx3.JPG

gradosx2a.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #64,660 of 65,693
Grado business model in a nutshell:

1. Do zero advertising
2. Let the product speak for itself
3. Keep the business family run
4. Stay true to the Grado developed "House" sound
5. We have to answer to no one but ourselves because we are a private company

All parameters that make a unique sound profile, unimpeaded by pressures, or what anyone else thinks.
Works... but is it in their best business interest long-term? Guess so, they've been doing it since 1953.

I hope they fluorish as long as I'm alive, elsewise I'd be a very sad man.
These variables have also all made us superfans of such quality audio.

Long live Grado Labs! :beerchug:
This is exactly it tbh. As much as people complain about it, I'm happy Grado stays true to themselves and ignores outside pressure. I want Grado to be Grado. And their mentality is what keeps them pure. Otherwise, they'd just be like everyone else on the market.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #64,661 of 65,693
This is exactly it tbh. As much as people complain about it, I'm happy Grado stays true to themselves and ignores outside pressure. I want Grado to be Grado. And their mentality is what keeps them pure. Otherwise, they'd just be like everyone else on the market.
Exactly my thoughts. There are enough copies of each other out there already.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #64,662 of 65,693
Exactly my thoughts. There are enough copies of each other out there already.
Yeah, I mean...not everyone needs to compete with sennheiser and audeze. Which is how I feel about a lot of the criticism of grado. Those headphones already exist, just buy those if that's what you're looking for. As for the non removable cable., i agree it's very dated and not very intuitive. But the cables are built to last. I can personally vouch for that. And I suspect that Grado does this because it's their way of forcing you to use a good cable. The majority of people will just buy the cheapest cable they can find. It's part of the package and their sound.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #64,663 of 65,693
Yeah, I mean...not everyone needs to compete with sennheiser and audeze. Which is how I feel about a lot of the criticism of grado. Those headphones already exist, just buy those if that's what you're looking for. As for the non removable cable., i agree it's very dated and not very intuitive. But the cables are built to last. I can personally vouch for that. And I suspect that Grado does this because it's their way of forcing you to use a good cable. The majority of people will just buy the cheapest cable they can find. It's part of the package and their sound.

I don't think folks here are asking Grado to go head-to-head with Sennheiser or Audeze. I've been a Grado fan for more than 25 years, and trust me, I'd have jumped ship earlier if I didn't like their gear. I don't want Grado to start following that darn Harman curve and gain popularity on ASR. I'm more bothered by the fact that Grado doesn't seem to engage much with the community. I really wish they'd talk to us more, take our suggestions into account, and be more upfront about changes to their products.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #64,664 of 65,693
I don't think folks here are asking Grado to go head-to-head with Sennheiser or Audeze. I've been a Grado fan for more than 25 years, and trust me, I'd have jumped ship earlier if I didn't like their gear. I don't want Grado to start following that darn Harman curve and gain popularity on ASR. I'm more bothered by the fact that Grado doesn't seem to engage much with the community. I really wish they'd talk to us more, take our suggestions into account, and be more upfront about changes to their products.
You misunderstood. I'm not really talking about us. I mean the audiophile community as a whole. I know you guys don't want them to be like sennheiser. I was just pointing out why I suspect Grado is very closed off to the community. We are a tiny fraction of that community. I believe most people here would have very reasonable back and forths with Grado because we understand their product. But imagine people from ASR or r/headphones. It would be a disaster. And most of those people would likely only get angrier if Grado were more transparent about their decision making.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #64,665 of 65,693
You misunderstood. I'm not really talking about us. I mean the audiophile community as a whole. I know you guys don't want them to be like sennheiser. I was just pointing out why I suspect Grado is very closed off to the community. We are a tiny fraction of that community. I believe most people here would have very reasonable back and forths with Grado because we understand their product. But imagine people from ASR or r/headphones. It would be a disaster. And most of those people would likely only get angrier if Grado were more transparent about their decision making.

Haha, yeah, those are valid points. It would be cool to have someone from Grado chiming in on this thread. I'm not even sure if they're checking out what we're saying here. I know Rich is a bit active in the Grado Facebook group, but it'd be awesome to see more of that engagement here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back