Grado Fan Club!
Apr 7, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #59,761 of 66,261
I'm thinking the Hemps or RS2X's later this year. I've gone back about two years with this thread and when the X series came out, I was interested in the comments. You really have me itchy to pull the trigger on something. My SR225X's have me thinking that I'm missing something by not stepping up. I must stay calm and carry on though. I can't justify a fifth pair of headphones yet.
Don't worry, suddenly you'll find the justification..... :smile_phones:

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #59,762 of 66,261
Sounds like we have the same ear DNA. What aftermarket pads do/did you use for your Grados, Shane?
Well, to sound like a broken record...Beautiful Audio pads (for my GH2's). They look taller than the L pads, but they collapse down for a perfect fit and sound, for me. The Super expensive Dekoni pads are nice, but the tall pads don't collapse down much and your ears ends up quite far from the driver.
I like the Shipibo pads on my my Hemps.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #59,763 of 66,261
Found a demo ps500e gathering dust in the corner of my local audio store and nabbed it, now i'm hooked. Coming from hd800s/hd600, 'neutral' has its merits but it's also boring. Objectively the grado doesn't measure up, but subjectively it positively slaps with its pure raw energy. It's harsh, rough and makes no apologies. Love it. Shame they're not making ps x-series, I do rather like the hefty weighty feel of these compared to the woodies.

Only thing is the stock L-cush is rather uncomfortable for me too. Tried G-cush but it kills the bass slam & mids. Dekoni velour knockoffs from aliexpress is super comfortable but is way too tall, as mentioned above it creates too much distance from the driver and ruins the sound, cannot recommend them. Beautiful audio pads sound interesting that they collapse, but that price is nuts. Perhaps I'll try F pads.

Overall still crazy impressed, already scouring classifieds for upgrades/complimentary units. Gs3000x is way out of budget but Gs3000e or ps1000e look mighty tempting. Though looking through this thread many dip in the flagships but come back down to the rs/gh series, rather curious.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #59,764 of 66,261
Found a demo ps500e gathering dust in the corner of my local audio store and nabbed it, now i'm hooked. Coming from hd800s/hd600, 'neutral' has its merits but it's also boring. Objectively the grado doesn't measure up, but subjectively it positively slaps with its pure raw energy. It's harsh, rough and makes no apologies. Love it. Shame they're not making ps x-series, I do rather like the hefty weighty feel of these compared to the woodies.

Only thing is the stock L-cush is rather uncomfortable for me too. Tried G-cush but it kills the bass slam & mids. Dekoni velour knockoffs from aliexpress is super comfortable but is way too tall, as mentioned above it creates too much distance from the driver and ruins the sound, cannot recommend them. Beautiful audio pads sound interesting that they collapse, but that price is nuts. Perhaps I'll try F pads.

Overall still crazy impressed, already scouring classifieds for upgrades/complimentary units. Gs3000x is way out of budget but Gs3000e or ps1000e look mighty tempting. Though looking through this thread many dip in the flagships but come back down to the rs/gh series, rather curious.
With the PS500e, absolutely go with F-cushions! If you can spend a bit, go with TTVJ Deluxe Flats! ☑️

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #59,766 of 66,261
With the PS500e, absolutely go with F-cushions! If you can spend a bit, go with TTVJ Deluxe Flats! ☑️

Really? Not dismissing your experience but the Deluxe Flats pump up the bass and mids and on the PS500e that's unbearable for me.

Love it. Shame they're not making ps x-series,

The PS500e was the first X-Grado long before X-Grados were introduced!

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #59,767 of 66,261
first post here. im currently interested in a listing for a ps500i but I have no clue about its sound signature. if i only have a grado rs2 as a reference how should it, in theory, compare to it?

p.s. my absolute favorite musician (sufjan stevens) wearing grados
hpa95jjg2kc81 (1).png

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #59,768 of 66,261
first post here. im currently interested in a listing for a ps500i but I have no clue about its sound signature. if i only have a grado rs2 as a reference how should it, in theory, compare to it?

p.s. my absolute favorite musician (sufjan stevens) wearing grados
hpa95jjg2kc81 (1).png
There were two versions, the PS500 which eventually was replaced by the PS500e which was phased out well over a year ago. In my opinion the bass is better both in impact and detail and the treble is more neutral on the PS500e. It was designed to try a slightly different SQ and think it was quite successful and would doubt I would ever sell. There was recently a used one on the classified and also a NIB one that a friend has that is also for sale. ESL-1

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #59,769 of 66,261

Yesterday I used the HD800 all day. Most of the time I was thinking that the Sennheiser is so much better than any of my Grados...but I was also thinking that I could not wait to switch back to using my GS3000e (or even my GH2). I never think about switching to my HD800 when I'm listening to a Grado.

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #59,771 of 66,261
Her name is Jada. 😉 and the Wife is not fond of her. She makes her Jealous. 😃 She has to share time with Jada. Wait till she sees the Kneckless I buy her. 😊
Don't crack any jokes about Jada around Jada -- Will Smith may appear from thin air and give you four fingers and a thumb to the face! :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #59,772 of 66,261
Hey, @Menkau-ra, which ZMF pads are you using with your Grados? I LOVE the ZMF pads on my HD 6XX and am looking for an upgrade in comfort for my Grado 325x without changing the wider soundstage that I enjoy with the G "bowl" pads.

Thanks!

I purchased the ZMF adapters last week and I tried them with some of the pads I have at hand right now. I get the impression that most memory foam pads are going to "trap" the sound within the pads. The pads I tried, all made out of memory foam, decrease the soundstage, decrease the highs (sounds weird) and increase the bass (making things sound boomy).

The foam in the Beautiful Audio pads is porous and it does not mess with the signature of the headphone.

Here is a picture of the foam used by BA:

IMG_3835.jpg

I'm staying away from memory foam...YMMV.

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #59,773 of 66,261
I'm loving the GS3000e...but I'm finding that they are not the Grado be-all and end-all I expected them to be ( I have never heard an HP1000, PS2000...or even a GS3000x).

I am using the GH2 right now and it has better sub bass, it is more comfortable and it is a much better option for low volume listening. On the other hand, there is something magical about the GS3000e's highs and mids (especially the mids).

If I could only own one Grado, I would probably chose the GH2. It's a good thing that I can own more than one. The GH2 (or any other GH or RS model) and the GS3000e compliment each other very well. I had to force myself to switch to the GH2 after I started the morning off with the GS3000e. I think I'm going to have to force myself again to switch back to the GS3000e.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #59,774 of 66,261
I purchased the ZMF adapters last week and I tried them with some of the pads I have at hand right now. I get the impression that most memory foam pads are going to "trap" the sound within the pads. The pads I tried, all made out of memory foam, decrease the soundstage, decrease the highs (sounds weird) and increase the bass (making things sound boomy).

The foam in the Beautiful Audio pads is porous and it does not mess with the signature of the headphone.

Here is a picture of the foam used by BA:

IMG_3835.jpg

I'm staying away from memory foam...YMMV.
And BA has a wide selection of foams. Each one is different.

20220513_174441.jpg

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #59,775 of 66,261
I have to say that some of the very best sound, for me, is offered by Grado PS2000e + Violectric HPA V281. Absolutely full-range … completely open soundstage … three-dimensional imaging … thunderous dynamics …
55284270-7D24-4AC5-BC8A-1BB47C322D5C.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back