Grado Fan Club!
Mar 30, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #59,569 of 65,639
Interesting. Thanks. Maybe we have a clash of cultural terminology here: Is kitchen roll what we Yanks call "paper towels?" Sincere question.

I do love the "modability" of Grados. So easy to change their signature with dirt-cheap mods such as pad swaps, holes cut in pads, tape, paper towels, etc.
As previously mentioned they do reflect what is driving them. Although not hungry for power they definitely can scale up with amp that mates well.

Time is on your side as they will only improve as you enjoy playing or you contemplate an amp that even better matches. There are some excellent choices, quite a few recommendations will come your way by just posing the question. The point is there is a lot of fun ahead for you as you continue doing what you’re doing and that costs you nothing but will still improve the.

I also agree that this is one of the most popular threads with Some of the nicest and helpful members.

Enjoy the ride….

Mar 30, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #59,570 of 65,639
Does that soften the entire pad or just the surface? The abrasiveness doesn't bother me -- the pressure does.

Yes the whole pad.
If it’s pressure against your ears just bend the head band out a bit.
Just flex it .
Grasp the headband with both hands with the drivers pointing towards the floor.
Just bend the headband it’s only light weight sprung steel.

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #59,571 of 65,639
Yes the whole pad.
If it’s pressure against your ears just bend the head band out a bit.
Just flex it .
Grasp the headband with both hands with the drivers pointing towards the floor.
Just bend the headband it’s only light weight sprung steel.
I still recommend wearing them a bit lower, so the top of the headphone does not pinch the top of your ear... works for me.

Mar 30, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #59,572 of 65,639
Jesus, these things are uncomfortable, though, even with the G "bowl" pads that sound so good. The tops of my ears are on fire after just 30 minutes or so.

I'll need to investigate ZMF Beyer pads and the Grado adapters as an option if these continue to grow on me at such a rapid rate. I have the ZMF pads for my HD 6XX, and they're sublime.
Never posted this thought before. Can't recall I've seen other posts. The G pads on my 325x, RS1x, and any other non-GS headphone, are just not meant to be. The ergonmics in terms of fit and comfort are "off" unless you get a GS headphone. IMHO. They are one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on the GS3000x. Can't say that with the 325x or RS1x, or for that matter the 80's or 60's.

Anyway, whatever gets you through the night!

:beerchug:

Leo

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #59,573 of 65,639
Does that soften the entire pad or just the surface? The abrasiveness doesn't bother me -- the pressure does.
"Stretch" the headband out a little by pulling the cups away from each other and holding it for a few seconds. Repeat for a few reps. This helps reduce the clamp and thereby the pressure you're referring to.

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #59,574 of 65,639
Never posted this thought before. Can't recall I've seen other posts. The G pads on my 325x, RS1x, and any other non-GS headphone, are just not meant to be. The ergonmics in terms of fit and comfort are "off" unless you get a GS headphone. IMHO. They are one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on the GS3000x. Can't say that with the 325x or RS1x, or for that matter the 80's or 60's.

Leo

In my case, nothing beats the comfort of G pads on my GH2 or RS2e. The G pads have been on my RS2e for months.

But if the G is on the RS2e, then the L (with comfy covers) is on the GH2 (and vice versa). I want to have one of the two with stock pads sounding the way Grado intended them to sound. So far the GS3000e is a mess (comfort, sound, heck, even beauty) with anything other than the Grado G pads.

Mar 30, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #59,575 of 65,639
Double posted...

...is something going on with head-fi today?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #59,579 of 65,639
I have not listened to my hemps for a while. Plugged them in to my fiio m17 this morning and listened to some ambient music. Sounds sublime :) I'm thinking of getting possibly the gs1000x at some point

Mar 31, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #59,580 of 65,639

Leo
Fair enough. But I will say that I’ve just got the 3000x in for a demo and I’m beginning to believe that the driver positioning plays a part in what makes the two headphones (rs1x and 3000x) sound like they do. Please note this comment as I’ll come back to this when I round up my impressions in a future post.

Yes I will say the comfort on the 3000x is better but I personally don’t have a complaint against the Rs1x comfort. Their lightweight is noticeable compared to the 3000x therefore their clamp or on ear design is not a problem for me.

Still undecided on the aesthetics. There is a charm to the smaller design of the Rs1x but the wood on the 3000x looks nice also.

Attachments

• 8B016DDE-6FB0-4252-BBCB-A048EE8B61DD.jpeg
    8B016DDE-6FB0-4252-BBCB-A048EE8B61DD.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back