Grado Fan Club!
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #59,431 of 65,761
Mar 24, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #59,433 of 65,761
I got today the extension cable for the GS3000x...because it is not anymore in the package as with the GS3000e I had before.

1F715453-B04A-4A6F-A0D4-E745E97B4746.jpeg
Here is the cable...

Mar 24, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #59,435 of 65,761
I like the new cables. They seems nice :) The old potato cables were off.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #59,436 of 65,761
I just got this one in today...

IMG_3822.jpg

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #59,437 of 65,761
I just got this one in today...

Congratulations!

I am curious how it sounds, compared to your HD800 - how much smaller is the soundstaging, etc...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #59,438 of 65,761
Congratulations!

I am curious how it sounds, compared to your HD800 - how much smaller is the soundstaging, etc...

I just received the GS3000e today, so I'll send you a PM in a week or two.

But right now, with little listening time, I can say that the HD800's soundstage is wider. Not a night and day difference, but definitely noticeable. My MDR-F1 is the king of soundstage -- both of them fall short of the Sony.

The HD800 has more sub bass. If I turn on the xbass function of my iCan I can hear the HD800 go deeper and I detect more rumble.

Both are very detailed and clear. The HD800 can sound a little clinical...while the GS3000e sounds clinical for a Grado.

That's all I can tell you right now. I'm switching pads (L pads, G pads, BA pads)...switching headphones...switching amps. Take everything I said with a grain of salt.

Edit 1: Soundstage is really good. A couple of times I had to take them off to make sure I didn't have my speakers on. The MDR-F1 and the HD800 are the only two headphones I have owned that can fool me like this.

Edit 2: Large Beautiful Audio Pads are weird. On the GS3000s they suck the bass out of the headphone. On the RS2e the bass is still there, but they produce sibilance (they do something weird to the highs).

Edit 3: Sounds great with tubes.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #59,441 of 65,761
Cocobolo Kumbaya

IMG_3827.jpg

I've been wanting to take this picture...for such a long, long time.

Mar 25, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #59,443 of 65,761
I just received the GS3000e today, so I'll send you a PM in week or two.

But right now, with little listening time, I can say that the HD800's soundstage is wider. Not a night and day difference, but definitely noticeable. My MDR-F1 is the king of ssoundstage -- both of them fall short of the Sony.

The HD800 has more sub bass. If I turn on the xbass function of my iCan I can hear the HD800 go deeper and I detect more rumble.

Both are very detailed and clear. The HD800 can sound a little clinical...while the GS3000e sounds clinical for a Grado.

That's all I can tell you right now. I'm switching pads (L pads, G pads, BA pads)...switching headphones...switching amps. Take everything I said with a grain of salt.

Edit 1: Soundstage is really good. A couple of times I had to take them off to make sure I didn't have my speakers on. The MDR-F1 and the HD800 are the only two headphones I have owned that can fool me like this.

Edit 2: Large Beautiful Audio Pads are weird. On the GS3000s they suck the bass out of the headphone. On the RS2e the bass is still there, but they produce sibilance (they do something weird to the highs).

Edit 3: Sounds great with tubes.
Thanks for your report. It made me get my Dupont modified HD800 and my GS3000 e out of the barn. Both headphones are cabled balanced, the HD800 with a Nordost Heimdall which is a great upgrade in all areas. Both headphones are pretty similar in volume, when I play the Grado on low gain output and the HD on high gain. So a quick comparison is easy.
My impressions are very similar to elverguns:
The HD has morebass under 100hz, upper bass is is about the same.
The mids ( vocals, trumpet...) are closer (louder) with the HD, what rather surprised me. So you sit closer to stage and get a little bit mor information about the mids.
My ears are not best for the highs anymore, so I don't find one of them cold or anemic. HD sounds fresher to me, clearer with a little bit more separation. Maybe highs could be to much for sombody, especially with the wrong frontend.
Both headphones have a wide and deep stage. I mean, that's what HD800 is well known for. They are very similar a long as you do 't listen to music with spherical atmosphere. That's where the HD can give you an even wider picture. But the GS is a great headphone for Jazz and Rock and maybe has a better location there.
If I would have to give points to the differnt areas, the HD would win in technical aspects. Nevertheless I like the Grado much.
The Sennheiser HD800 and the Grado GS 3000e are, to my surprise , closer than expected.

P.s.: I used to play the GS with ZMF fenestrated leather pads. They give him more deep bass a d a wider stage, but also a more burred picture at complex music. The comparison I made with the original pads.
20230325_114305.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #59,445 of 65,761
The HD has morebass under 100hz, upper bass is is about the same.
The mids ( vocals, trumpet...) are closer (louder) with the HD, what rather surprised me. So you sit closer to stage and get a little bit mor information about the mids.
My ears are not best for the highs anymore, so I don't find one of them cold or anemic. HD sounds fresher to me, clearer with a little bit more separation. Maybe highs could be to much for sombody, especially with the wrong frontend.
Both headphones have a wide and deep stage. I mean, that's what HD800 is well known for. They are very similar a long as you do 't listen to music with spherical atmosphere. That's where the HD can give you an even wider picture. But the GS is a great headphone for Jazz and Rock and maybe has a better location there.
If I would have to give points to the differnt areas, the HD would win in technical aspects. Nevertheless I like the Grado much.
The Sennheiser HD800 and the Grado GS 3000e are, to my surprise , closer than expected.
I agree with everything you said here.

I also believe that the HD800 is the better headphone. However, I mostly use my RS2e or GH2.

The HD800 is like a supermodel with just an okay personality and average intelligence...while the RS2e is a pretty girl with a heart of gold and a great sense of humor. I would rather spend most days hanging out with the pretty girl, but I'll call the supermodel when...err..I get in that special mood. I think the GS3000e is also a supermodel. I hope I don't end up reaching for my RS2e most days while the GS3000e and the HD8000 just sit there looking pretty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back