Grado Fan Club!
Mar 15, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #59,311 of 66,744
Pad rolling is a way to find a Grado sound that works even better for you.
With the GH2's, the L pads actually hurt my right ear and I was forced to find an alternative. I tried a few things and Beautiful Audio pads were a perfect match in sound and comfort.

With the Hemps, using the stock pads, the driver is only a few mm's from my ear. I have to drop the volume and some music comes across as harsh. I didn't care for the sound with G-cush pads at all. I bought the Very expensive Dekoni pads and they put the ear too far from the driver and so I have to crank the volume. Not sure about the sound either.

Then I tried the Shipibo's for the third or fourth time and really started to like them. I think they do add a bit of bass, but I like the overall sound and have landed on these as my favourite.
However, I do like Beautiful Audio pads on the Hemps also.

The bottom line is that I have spent Way too much money on Grado pad alternatives.:relaxed:
You can ruin Hemps totally when using something else than stock pads. They know what they are doing at Grado. :wink:

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #59,312 of 66,744
Last evening tested Bel Canto C5i headphone out with Hemps. Big surprise how good headphone out Bel Canto has.
Sound is different than with my RME but not worse. Warm, full sound. Bass is more hefty than RME's.
Sound makes me think tubes almost.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #59,314 of 66,744
You can ruin Hemps totally when using something else than stock pads. They know what they are doing at Grado. :wink:
And I know what I like.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #59,315 of 66,744
Does anyone know if the large Beautiful Audio pads meant for the GS series also work with RS/GH models?

Actually it's the reverse. The pads by default only fit on the smaller models. Larger models must have their diameter measured. I had to return my Beautiful Audio large pads because they just didn't fit on my GS3000e. (Soon after this the site implemented the diameter check.)

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #59,316 of 66,744
Actually it's the reverse. The pads by default only fit on the smaller models. Larger models must have their diameter measured. I had to return my Beautiful Audio large pads because they just didn't fit on my GS3000e. (Soon after this the site implemented the diameter check.)

So if you buy the large pads for the GS3000e then you will not be able to use them with other models if you don't like how they make your GS model sound, right? The fit will not be tight enough and they will just fall off on something like the GH2?

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #59,317 of 66,744
Thank you. Could you explain the differences between the Rs1x and the gs3000x. Especially in the midrange and highs.

Which Harbeth p3esr do you have?
Below at the bottom is a link to an article of about the LS3/5A. Then there is appropriately a classic British race car, the Jaguar D-Type

As I am still breaking in the GS3000x I have not done any A/B comparisons as yet. Initial impressions is the GS3000x is very open and spacious. The sound is more on a neutral side I would say at this point. Bass goes deeper with better detail of the bass (not an easy trick). Might sound trite but they sound more real to me, very natural. My vote is also reflected in that I sold my GS3000e which I certainly liked and enjoyed but could not give me what the x does. In my opinion if you decide to make it happen I think you may just find them complimentary to each other.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bbc-ls35a-loudspeaker-1993-harbeth-version

Attachments

• Article-Image-ClassicCars-1955-Jaguar-D-Type.jpeg
    Article-Image-ClassicCars-1955-Jaguar-D-Type.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #59,318 of 66,744
Below at the bottom is a link to an article of about the LS3/5A. Then there is appropriately a classic British race car, the Jaguar D-Type

As I am still breaking in the GS3000x I have not done any A/B comparisons as yet. Initial impressions is the GS3000x is very open and spacious. The sound is more on a neutral side I would say at this point. Bass goes deeper with better detail of the bass (not an easy trick). Might sound trite but they sound more real to me, very natural. My vote is also reflected in that I sold my GS3000e which I certainly liked and enjoyed but could not give me what the x does. In my opinion if you decide to make it happen I think you may just find them complimentary to each other.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bbc-ls35a-loudspeaker-1993-harbeth-version
Is that more neutral compared to the Rs1x or in general?

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #59,320 of 66,744
Hello friends,

I really need your advise please.

I always had the idea to have the Hemp recabled since I hate the hose and mostly because I wanted it to become my portable headphone around the house. I contacted FAW, in Poland, and Rotmanns Cables, in Germany, but for different reasons they cannot provide. What a huge disappointment I felt. I don't know of any other reputable place in the European Union.

At this point I'm thinking of just getting a different can, for the portable intended purpose, one that doesn't have fixed cables, and asking all Grado lovers, which other brand / model meets this criteria and you like.

I know it is not a direct Grado related matter, but couldn't find a better place to ask since we all have one thing in common and I guess I trust no other place to ask as every dedicated thread I read, it is always the "best around", which is totally understandable.

Thank you and cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #59,321 of 66,744
Hello friends,

I always had the idea to have the Hemp recabled since I hate the hose and mostly because I wanted it to become my portable headphone around the house. I contacted FAW, in Poland, and Rotmanns Cables, in Germany, but for different reasons they cannot provide. What a huge disappointment I felt. I don't know of any other reputable place in the European Union.

At this point I'm thinking of just getting a different can, for the portable intended purpose, one that doesn't have fixed cables, and asking all Grado lovers, which other brand / model meets this criteria and you like.

I know it is not a direct Grado related matter, but couldn't find a better place to ask since we all have one thing in common and I guess I trust no other place to ask as every dedicated thread I read, it is always the "best around", which is totally understandable.

Thank you and cheers.

Try Custom cans in the Uk.
They even have a YouTube channel showing there work.

As to other headphones it’s a personal choice.
I can suggest AK T5p 2nd Generation which is based on a Beyerdynamic T5p headphone.
It’s a light closed back that’s easy to drive.
Also has detachable cables.
Only suggesting these as they have a bass that’s lifted a bit like the Hemps.

There’s plenty of other headphones and you could also buy some cheaper Grados and modify them yourself.
Detachable cables wooden cups and so on.
There’s a thread on here for modded Grados.

Mar 16, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #59,322 of 66,744
Hello friends,

Thank you and cheers.
Check out Hyland headphones, out of the UK. Not cheap, but very Grado-like sound with comfortable earpads and detachable cables. I have a Hyland Jupiter which I enjoy.

There's a thread about them here on Head-Fi although it's not very active any more.

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #59,323 of 66,744
Try Custom cans in the Uk.
They even have a YouTube channel showing there work.

As to other headphones it’s a personal choice.
I can suggest AK T5p 2nd Generation which is based on a Beyerdynamic T5p headphone.
It’s a light closed back that’s easy to drive.
Also has detachable cables.
Only suggesting these as they have a bass that’s lifted a bit like the Hemps.

There’s plenty of other headphones and you could also buy some cheaper Grados and modify them yourself.
Detachable cables wooden cups and so on.
There’s a thread on here for modded Grados.
Thank you my friend, I have seen the thread before, watched some YouTube videos but I'm afraid it is not for me at all. I'm not gifted, in any sense, with that type of manual labor and have no experience, skills or soldering gear.

Regarding the suggestions, also from Joaquin, of the UK possibilities, the problem relies in Customs and respective fees and taxes since Brexit. Either it can be done within the EU, or it is simply not worth financially speaking, at least for me.

Thank you for the cans suggestion. I will check them out.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #59,324 of 66,744
Hello friends,

Thank you and cheers.
Custom Cans, UK will do it....

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #59,325 of 66,744
Thank you my friend, I have seen the thread before, watched some YouTube videos but I'm afraid it is not for me at all. I'm not gifted, in any sense, with that type of manual labor and have no experience, skills or soldering gear.

Regarding the suggestions, also from Joaquin, of the UK possibilities, the problem relies in Customs and respective fees and taxes since Brexit. Either it can be done within the EU, or it is simply not worth financially speaking, at least for me.

Thank you for the cans suggestion. I will check them out.

Cheers.

Why not buy from the classifieds on this site? I have sold and shipped headphones to Europe. Maybe you can work out a deal were the seller sends them for a cable modification before they ship them to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back