Grado Fan Club!
Feb 23, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #59,041 of 66,744
If a store did do that they could lose their authorization to sell the product. Reach out to the distributor for your area and take it up with them.

My experience having been in retail audio for many years has been that DOA or even a driver going out is not really all that common. Granted device must be used within it’s own stated limits.

There had been a couple of companies of good repute and high end market range that went through a rash of failures suddenly appearing but this is certainly not at all a norm or acceptable given the high price of some of the culprits.

That said with all the headphones and speakers 🔊 I have sold through the years (35+) there have been very, very few that were DOA or needed replacement within the warranty or even a bit beyond.
I bought it via the online shop of an authorized dealer in Germany. By law (in Germany) I am able to return the item within 14 days. I’ll send it back and let the retailer figure it out with the distributor. Don’t even wanna get involved in that..

Feb 23, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #59,042 of 66,744
The WH1 (also known as Thee White) is an odd duck. Sometimes it sounds boring, sometimes it sounds grand. Depends very much on the sound material i guess.

Also it does sound good with L-pads, do we have a secret relative to the RS1e here?

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #59,043 of 66,744
Despite all my hype, i have come to the following conclusion:

Hemps are just my thing, RS2x might be "too hi-fi" and even too precise for my taste. It has its merits, but Hemps gives much more of the music. The whole is what matters.
A month with RS2x and switching to Hemp was like coming home from a long, hard journey. If you know what I mean.

A bit the same situation as it was between my speakers: Tempo3i and Virgo3; Virgo 3 was undeniably "better" in hifi terms.
As a with music, Tempo is in a class of his own, Virgo has no knocking. So i own Tempos now.

For some reason I just don't like too much resolution, or maybe it's the way it's brought out, go figure.

In my books Hemps are better than RS2x. Hemps are end game headphones, for me.
That's not a bad achievement at all. For a 550euros headphone. Everything is just right.

Hemps.jpg

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #59,045 of 66,744
Amazing that we are all very different.

In my humble experience it has been a real blessing that I took the plunge on the 325 gold. Mostly related to the cable practical difference, I tend to grab the 325 over the Hemp and I'm amazed every time by its sound.

In all honesty, SQ wise, I have more than I will ever need in terms of cans, but curiosity is a bi*** and I will not rest until I try out those models that I'm craving for.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #59,046 of 66,744
Despite all my hype, i have come to the following conclusion:

Hemps are just my thing, RS2x might be "too hi-fi" and even too precise for my taste. It has its merits, but Hemps gives much more of the music. The whole is what matters.
A month with RS2x and switching to Hemp was like coming home from a long, hard journey. If you know what I mean.

A bit the same situation as it was between my speakers: Tempo3i and Virgo3; Virgo 3 was undeniably "better" in hifi terms.
As a with music, Tempo is in a class of his own, Virgo has no knocking. So i own Tempos now.

For some reason I just don't like too much resolution, or maybe it's the way it's brought out, go figure.

That's not a bad achievement at all. For a 550euros headphone. Everything is just right.

Hemps.jpg
I see you are selling them. Will you be content with the Hemp or do you have a new model on the horizon? Cheers.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #59,047 of 66,744
I see you are selling them. Will you be content with the Hemp or do you have a new model on the horizon? Cheers.
Hemps do it all. No need for others. :)

Feb 23, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #59,048 of 66,744

That's not a bad achievement at all.

Some people prefer the RS models to the higher GS models...others gravitate towards the SR series.

They are all Grados, after all. It is just a matter of preference and there is no wrong answer. The Hemps are an incredible headphone.

Your post makes me sad I sold mine.

Hemps do it all. No need for others. :)
Heresy!!!

Now here you are wrong. Go to that corner and think about what you just said....

...don't come back until you are sorry. :angry:

Edit: Don't go saying stuff like that to ruthieandjohn. He will probably smack you in the head with his...err...iGrado.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #59,049 of 66,744
Just received the gs3000x. Drivers unfortunately not matched
Driver matching beyond 2khz is a crapshoot, unfortunately. I've heard quite a few models that just have the frequency sweep tone erratically pan left and right in the treble region. Doesn't matter if it's a high-end model or not. The "drivers matched 0.05dB" thing is marketing fluff. I don't think I've ever heard any headphone that has perfectly matched drivers all the way up to 20khz. On my GS3000e, which just had both drivers replaced as a matched pair, 8khz is slightly louder on one side.

Most stores will do a replacement for items that are defective out of the box.
In this case Jimmy could try presenting the frequency sweep test to the dealer but again, anything beyond 2khz is a crapshoot and the dealer might reject the return claim citing model variance.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #59,050 of 66,744
Driver matching beyond 2khz is a crapshoot, unfortunately. I've heard quite a few models that just have the frequency sweep tone erratically pan left and right in the treble region. Doesn't matter if it's a high-end model or not. The "drivers matched 0.05dB" thing is marketing fluff. I don't think I've ever heard any headphone that has perfectly matched drivers all the way up to 20khz. On my GS3000e, which just had both drivers replaced as a matched pair, 8khz is slightly louder on one side.

In this case Jimmy could try presenting the frequency sweep test to the dealer but again, anything beyond 2khz is a crapshoot and the dealer might reject the return claim citing model variance.
With the headphone I received the volume difference on left and right side is comical. Plus right side music goes away as soon as you touch the cable at a certain spot

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #59,051 of 66,744
So I just got back from my local stereo store -- I was convinced that the RS1x was going to be my next headphone but I wanted to hear one before I pulled the trigger.

They didn't have a display unit so they opened a new box and gave me that pair. Out of the box I thought they were so meh. I mean, really meh. Where is the bass (both mid and sub bass)? These are the Grado equivalent of the HD800 (then again, the HD800 has sub bass). I know many in this thread have mentioned that the RS1x needs at least 100 hours of burn in. Perhaps I'll try again in the future with a pair that has hundreds of hours of use.

They had an RS2x on display, so I listened to that one. The RS2x (around 50 hours of use, I was told) blew the RS1x out of the water. It might even be better than my RS2e. I'm not sure about this since I didn't take my RS2e with me to compare.

The one that really impressed me (I had never heard this model) is the PS500e. Wow. I'm going to keep an eye out for a used pair so I can compare it to my RS2e. I never gave the PS500 much thought...boy, that was a mistake.

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #59,052 of 66,744
So I just got back from my local stereo store -- I was convinced that the RS1x was going to be my next headphone but I wanted to hear one before I pulled the trigger.

They didn't have a display unit so they opened a new box and gave me that pair. Out of the box I thought they were so meh. I mean, really meh. Where is the bass (both mid and sub bass)? These are the Grado equivalent of the HD800 (then again, the HD800 has sub bass). I know many in this thread have mentioned that the RS1x needs at least 100 hours of burn in. Perhaps I'll try again in the future with a pair that has hundreds of hours of use.

They had an RS2x on display, so I listened to that one. The RS2x (around 50 hours of use, I was told) blew the RS1x out of the water. It might even be better than my RS2e. I'm not sure about this since I didn't take my RS2e with me to compare.

The one that really impressed me (I had never heard this model) is the PS500e. Wow. I'm going to keep an eye out for a used pair so I can compare it to my RS2e. I never gave the PS500 much thought...boy, that was a mistake.

I have tried to talk you into the PS500e last year! You never listened :D

But i read that all the GHs are similar to the PS500e so maybe you don't need that.

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #59,053 of 66,744
I have tried to talk you into the PS500e last year! You never listened :D

:slight_frown:

But i read that all the GHs are similar to the PS500e so maybe you don't need that.

Could be...perhaps the PS500e is just a much better headphone than the RS1x and the RS2x.

The only way to find out is to buy a used PS500e at a good price. If it is not better than the GH2 or the RS2e then I'll just put it back up in the classifieds. I might also look for a used RS2x in order to have some real fun. Regardless, the GH2 is going nowhere...the RS2e, however, is in real danger.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #59,054 of 66,744
:slight_frown:

Could be...perhaps the PS500e is just a much better headphone than the RS1x and the RS2x.

The only way to find out is to buy a used PS500e at a good price. If it is not better than the GH2 or the RS2e then I'll just put it back up in the classifieds. I might also look for a used RS2x in order to have some real fun. Regardless, the GH2 is going nowhere...the RS2e, however, is in real danger.
I've owned many Grado's and the RS1x is the best they have to offer in this series. Much better timbre than the RS2, and I might add that they have very satisfying bass as well. Out of the box the RS1x are indeed meh.... So we agree

Hope you enjoy your sonic journey my friend! :beerchug:

Leo

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #59,055 of 66,744
I've owned many Grado's and the RS1x is the best they have to offer in this series. Much better timbre than the RS2, and I might add that they have very satisfying bass as well. Out of the box the RS1x are indeed meh.... So we agree

Hope you enjoy your sonic journey my friend! :beerchug:

Leo
Comments like yours is what got me excited for the RS1x. This is why I have not totally dismissed this model.

How meh was your set out of the box? Did the bass satisfy you at that point...or did you worry (at least a little) that the RS1x might not be the right headphone for you? Keep in mind that I'm not a basshead -- all the Grados I have ever heard had enough bass for my tastes except for the RS1x I auditioned today.

Edit: Heck, the reason I wanted an RS1x in the first place is because I feel that the RS2e gets too boomy in the mid bass every now and then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back