Grado Fan Club!
Feb 7, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #58,817 of 65,852
And DX3pro+ was the cheapest option that I could find that also seem to have a bit of headroom (again, I don't think I really understand what that really means). I don't even think that I REALLY need an amp for the Hemp given how easy they are to drive.
Headroom refers to having extra power available in reserve for big dynamic swings in the music.
Any given headphone requires x amount of power (voltage x current) to produce a certain volume level. And if the music was all recorded at the same level, that would be all the power you'd ever need.
But music of course has dynamics; there are louder parts, and softer parts. Those louder parts require an extra jolt of power from the amp to fully render the dynamic swing.
If a device has to be turned up to the max to produce just enough volume for the "normal" parts of the music; then it wont have anything left to process a temporary dynamic surge. You'd miss out on that aspect of the recording.
So that's headroom, basically. If the device has enough power to drive your headphones to a level well beyond your normal listening level; its probably sufficient.

Feb 7, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #58,818 of 65,852
423D85AB-F4D3-467E-8832-5325CB91E7FE.jpeg

Saw these on eBay… how would you let it get THIS twisted? Apparently it still works though so cheers.

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #58,819 of 65,852
423D85AB-F4D3-467E-8832-5325CB91E7FE.jpeg
Saw these on eBay… how would you let it get THIS twisted? Apparently it still works though so cheers.
:scream::face_palm: That is crazy twisted! Hope the price ain't... Damn!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #58,820 of 65,852
Feb 7, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #58,821 of 65,852
Headroom refers to having extra power available in reserve for big dynamic swings in the music.
Any given headphone requires x amount of power (voltage x current) to produce a certain volume level. And if the music was all recorded at the same level, that would be all the power you'd ever need.
But music of course has dynamics; there are louder parts, and softer parts. Those louder parts require an extra jolt of power from the amp to fully render the dynamic swing.
If a device has to be turned up to the max to produce just enough volume for the "normal" parts of the music; then it wont have anything left to process a temporary dynamic surge. You'd miss out on that aspect of the recording.
So that's headroom, basically. If the device has enough power to drive your headphones to a level well beyond your normal listening level; its probably sufficient.
Thx for the clarification! My Hemp typically sits at -42dB and HE560 at -20dB, so there's more than enough room for extra boom-boom :)

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #58,822 of 65,852
Speaking of amps.. I just placed an order for the Vali 2++ and a 3.5mm RCA cable to use with it for the Hemp mostly. I was very close to getting the Spark since it's almost half the cost of the Vali 2++. The Go Blu and DX3 Pro+ were other options I was considering as well. But I've been reading more and more people liking the Vali 2++ with Grados recently and about how great it sounds. I figured "why not get the most out of these headphones and buy a legit amp".

Not really sure what to expect in terms of there being a noticeable audible difference compared to using a basic dongle adapter off of a phone like what I'm using now, but I'm about to find out soon. I am definitely not expecting it to sound like a legit tube amp though obviously. At least it wasn't that expensive. I will post an update in a few days once I give it a listen. Down the rabbit hole I go. Weeeeee

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #58,824 of 65,852
Speaking of amps.. I just placed an order for the Vali 2++ and a 3.5mm RCA cable to use with it for the Hemp mostly. I was very close to getting the Spark since it's almost half the cost of the Vali 2++. The Go Blu and DX3 Pro+ were other options I was considering as well. But I've been reading more and more people liking the Vali 2++ with Grados recently and about how great it sounds. I figured "why not get the most out of these headphones and buy a legit amp".

Not really sure what to expect in terms of there being a noticeable audible difference compared to using a basic dongle adapter off of a phone like what I'm using now, but I'm about to find out soon. I am definitely not expecting it to sound like a legit tube amp though obviously. At least it wasn't that expensive. I will post an update in a few days once I give it a listen. Down the rabbit hole I go. Weeeeee
You'll enjoy the Vali 2++.

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #58,825 of 65,852

Tube rolling. :scream: Some tubes are much better than others with the Vali2++. Take your time...

Good luck.

Leo

Feb 7, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #58,826 of 65,852
Tube rolling. :scream: Some tubes are much better than others with the Vali2++. Take your time...

Good luck.

Leo

Were you a fan of the stock tubes? Are there like one or two tubes/adapters that you recommend getting eventually? The JAN 5670 seems like a good place to start when I eventually decide to try something different

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #58,827 of 65,852
Were you a fan of the stock tubes? Are there like one or two tubes that you recommend getting eventually? The JAN 5670 seems like a good place to start when I eventually decide to try something different
I started with the Jan 5670 as well. In my opinion, a definite improvement at a reasonable price. Then @jonathan c told me about the JW2c51. OMG. It turned this small/cheap amp into a powerhouse. It's now my goto amp. Unbelievable (in my opinion, and I'm guessing @jonathan c.) Bad news is that this tube, from 1958, is more expensive than the amp..... :beerchug:

Leo

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #58,829 of 65,852
What is a JW2c51? Who is the manufacturer? I have different brands of 2c51 but I've never heard of JW.
The one I have is from W. E. Co. Altn PA. 12/1958

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #58,830 of 65,852

Users who are viewing this thread

Back