Grado Fan Club!
Jan 22, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #58,501 of 66,262
I find the stock pads put the headphones Right on your ears. I then have to lower the volume or I find the sound too harsh. Probably has to do with me being a quiet listener. The Hemps, with BA pads, are Much better IMO. But we all hear differently.

At their best, I find the Hemps similar to my GH2's, which is a great compliment coming from me.

I had hoped that the Dekoni pads would bring something real special to the Hemps. They are my favourite Hemp pad, excepting the BA's. Definitely better than knock-off G-cush, real G-cush, Shipibo pads or stock pads, for my preferences.
They sound great until I do a head to head to comparison with the GH2's. :smile:
What’s wrong with lowering the volume? Grados are engineered to be listened to at lower volumes. Just asking.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #58,502 of 66,262
I found the 325x to be lacking the clarity and detail that I enjoy with the 325e. That’s why I’m reluctant to pull the trigger on the Rs1x or RS2x and am intrigued by the availability of a new RS1e.

Another user responded to a post of mine earlier this week saying I’m not alone in preferring the e to the x.
Grado will be putting a set of new e drivers in my vintage RS-1. I should be receiving them in around 3 weeks. I'm hoping for them to hit the spot. I believe a few members here own both. Maybe they'll chime in and give you their input of valuable wisdom.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #58,503 of 66,262
What’s wrong with lowering the volume? Grados are engineered to be listened to at lower volumes. Just asking.
I find it ranges from very quiet to harsh. Not my preference. I prefer bowl pads such as Dekoni and Beautiful Audio.
I don't want the driver right on my ear.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #58,504 of 66,262
I want to express how much I love the Grado GH4.

Joseph Gagliano violin -- 1761 Naples , Leopold widhalm lauten violin -- 1770 Nürnberg , Baroque Violin unknown maker -- 19th century Germany , Grado GH4 headphone -- 2018 New York
Now that’s a statement!

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #58,505 of 66,262
I found the 325x to be lacking the clarity and detail that I enjoy with the 325e. That’s why I’m reluctant to pull the trigger on the Rs1x or RS2x and am intrigued by the availability of a new RS1e.

Another user responded to a post of mine earlier this week saying I’m not alone in preferring the e to the x.
Have had many e series. I currently own the Hemps, 325x, RS1e, RS1x, GS3000x (Also owned during my listening experience.....Original 80, 60, 125, and also the Headfi headphone). I will take the X series over any of the previous iterations. The sound just sounds better to me. But alas, I'm not an expert for everyone! Only me......... Just my thoughts. As always, YMMV....

Leo

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #58,506 of 66,262
Have had many e series. I currently own the Hemps, 325x, RS1e, RS1x, GS3000x (Also owned during my listening experience.....Original 80, 60, 125, and also the Headfi headphone). I will take the X series over any of the previous iterations. The sound just sounds better to me. But alas, I'm not an expert for everyone! Only me......... Just my thoughts. As always, YMMV....

Leo
So true... the only e series I liked were the 60e, 225e RS2e

I really like 325x and RS2x... I guess the signature works for me.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #58,507 of 66,262
Man do I Hate their cables! Too stiff and the V is not deep enough. And that is sitting still in my lazy boy. Once you finally get it arranged properly, you don't care take them off. Grrrr.

I really enjoy the Hemp. Great pair of headphones. But the braided vacuum cable REALLY messes with my sanity. I still have them under warranty since I just recently got them, but I am very tempted to find a place/someone to remove it because it's laughable how bad it is (said no one ever). Too bad that it's almost impossible to find someone or a place that will modify them.

I expected it to be bad, but wow is it truly terrible. Not only is it thicker than the old cable, but it weighs more and it weighs everything down making it uncomfortable on my head after an hour. Maybe replacing the headband will help with this problem. Quality of it is good, but it's almost insulting how they call it an upgrade.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #58,508 of 66,262

Joseph Gagliano violin -- 1761 Naples , Leopold widhalm lauten violin -- 1770 Nürnberg , Baroque Violin unknown maker -- 19th century Germany , Grado GH4 headphone -- 2018 New York
Joseph Grado would be honoured … 🏆

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #58,509 of 66,262

Leo

I've just been getting into a set of 3000e -- also owning the RS1x -- I assume / imagine jumping to the 3000x would be a hybrid of sorts between 30000e and RS1x (best of both) ... all conjecture of course :wink:

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #58,510 of 66,262

Oh my -- this is really worth a pause / closer look -- very special items you have here :violin:

Extraordinary collection.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #58,511 of 66,262
Only a 7-7.5?? I personally think the stock pads sound fantastic on them. I think that they can compete with some headphones that are double the price of what they cost. Why the mediocre rating?
Well, e.g. i have had Focal Stellia(3000euros), Hemps are better in my world.
Best headphones that i have owned, seems that RS2x might be new number one. Hemp is at least number two now. It has some that kind of musicality what i haven't found even from RS2x yet. RS2x has other features better though. Great pair together.

Edit: RS2x has been only a week now, it's a fantastastic headphone. Not so laid back as Hemp.
Sometimes when headphone has more "audiophile" characteristics, seems that musicality might suffer a bit. In my case at least.
Don't get me wrong; RS2x is amazing headphone, but depending mood and music sometimes more "laid back" Hemp gives me more from music itself.
Nothing, i mean nothing draw attention to itself. There's just the music itself and the feelings it evokes in you.

Both my headphones gives me that pleasure, and RS2x gives other things in addition. For 700 euros it's just a real bargain. As is Hemp too.
And i have had RS2x only a week now, i can only imagine how much pleasure it can give me at the future.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #58,512 of 66,262
Oh my -- this is really worth a pause / closer look -- very special items you have here :violin:

Extraordinary collection.
thanks David, the Gagliano was bought 23-4 yeas ago, thanks to my family, and a kind man Mr Xiu. it is a she violin, sensitive, hard to control on stage. otherwise it is not affordable.

I am not a hifi person, and was not a grado fan. heard the plastic grado maybe over 10 plus years ago when I was still a student. they were sharp as I can remember .

I don't know if headphone company if they really upgrade headphones. the HD 25 still is my work horse. I have the HD600, the hifiman HE1000. the Philip x1 was good (not the x2...hr something), the Sony z1r was also good for relax and go to sleep. to me, the price do not mean much in term of sound or the listening experience.

I liked the 325x, refreshing !!!! I like it a lot on MUSE the band, and some Vivaldi --"Baroque music" or "Baaaa rock and roll music". :).
the GH4 is just amazing on almost all unplugged recordings. ---- I am there. being relaxed and excited at the same time, yes it is possible. there should be more GH4s (not LCD 1 ---- are we trying to make our head a computer ?)

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #58,513 of 66,262
Well, e.g. i have had Focal Stellia(3000euros), Hemps are better in my world.
Best headphones that i have owned, seems that RS2x might be new number one. Hemp is at least number two now. It has some that kind of musicality what i haven't found even from RS2x yet. RS2x has other features better though. Great pair together.

Edit: RS2x has been only a week now, it's a fantastastic headphone. Not so laid back as Hemp.
Sometimes when headphone has more "audiophile" characteristics, seems that musicality might suffer a bit. In my case at least.
Don't get me wrong; RS2x is amazing headphone, but depending mood and music sometimes more "laid back" Hemp gives me more from music itself.
Nothing, i mean nothing draw attention to itself. There's just the music itself and the feelings it evokes in you.

Both my headphones gives me that pleasure, and RS2x gives other things in addition. For 700 euros it's just a real bargain. As is Hemp too.
And i have had RS2x only a week now, i can only imagine how much pleasure it can give me at the future.

If you're already liking it after just a week, wait until it's 2 months. I didn't like it the first month, I confess, now I'm loving it. It will improve a lot, the aggressiveness and vivid sound will become very musical. It's the classic Grado signature on the razor's edge, agressive, detailed and musical at the same time. This is not easy to achieve. Very impressed and happy with it here. A detail on it that only recently arrived: it's playing very well no mather the source and amp. Low resolution files, bad recordings, internet radio, etc. This is very important and cool and again, not easy to achieve I guess.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #58,515 of 66,262
thanks David, the Gagliano was bought 23-4 yeas ago, thanks to my family, and a kind man Mr Xiu. it is a she violin, sensitive, hard to control on stage. otherwise it is not affordable.

I am not a hifi person, and was not a grado fan. heard the plastic grado maybe over 10 plus years ago when I was still a student. they were sharp as I can remember .

I don't know if headphone company if they really upgrade headphones. the HD 25 still is my work horse. I have the HD600, the hifiman HE1000. the Philip x1 was good (not the x2...hr something), the Sony z1r was also good for relax and go to sleep. to me, the price do not mean much in term of sound or the listening experience.

I liked the 325x, refreshing !!!! I like it a lot on MUSE the band, and some Vivaldi --"Baroque music" or "Baaaa rock and roll music". :).
the GH4 is just amazing on almost all unplugged recordings. ---- I am there. being relaxed and excited at the same time, yes it is possible. there should be more GH4s (not LCD 1 ---- are we trying to make our head a computer ?)

I agree with you and very well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back