Grado Fan Club!
Dec 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #5,731 of 65,761
Ok, I have this song in mp3 and I can't notice anything buzz on my sr325is...

I remembered the day of the olympics opening ceremony that I decided to watch it with the sr80i on, during the part that muhammad ali appeared I noticed that one of the commentators was crying, I found that strange, unplugged the phone and it wasn't possible to notice her crying.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #5,732 of 65,761
Quote:
2. Sort of Aye - I use my V-CAN with the RS-1 now.

I knew you would come over to the dark side. You must have been craving some current!
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #5,733 of 65,761
See, now I feel like a moron. You meant tape deck, here I thought you meant turntable...

That is very similar to the Teac that I will someday steal from my parents. It sits in a cabinet, I'm 90% sure it's not even hooked up to their receiver.

Anyway, the Teac I've been ogling since I was wee is very similar looking, but has sort of brass colored accents, it's really beautiful. It probably needs a belt, but who cares!
I don't think I even realized Akai was that old, just looked on wiki, 1929, who knew?

Yeah, I use pretty much exclusively vintage gear and it's all got nice thick faceplates. Even the not-so-vintage realistic (radio shack brand) STA-11 has about an 1/4" thick face. I'm confused about the back. Most of those cabinets were made out of hardwood through the 70s, but were four panels, not a hollowed out solid block of wood. I'd love to see some pics of that.

It's not a "hollowed block of wood" per se - the entire cabinet comes off as one piece of wood, and there's a steel frame that gives it rigidity and holds all of the circuit boards inside it. If I get some time later tonight or tomorrow afternoon I'll take you some more pictures of the wood - it's more like a cabinet than a standard AV component. It is not similar in design to the "wood side" Japanese stuff from JVC and Pioneer (and others) that was so popular in the 1980s (my CDP is in that group - and those are just blocks of hardwood that you can take off). But it isn't similar to the RA-1/RH-1 either.

Most of the stuff I've serviced from the 60s and 70s had that wood cab ad an option at a minimum. My Sansui 5000x sure does, as do my old wharfedale speakers, they even have some ornate wood working. Remember, ten years prior, a hifi was a piece of furniture. For a long time, components still had to be beautiful. I consider old Grundig radios to be true art, though Crosley and Philcos were nice, too. Partcularly their desktop radios. You should check out Craigslist or ebay for Grundig, the woodworking was insane.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #5,734 of 65,761
I knew you would come over to the dark side. You must have been craving some current!:D

I posted about it a while ago I thought...

I didn't get the V-CAN for the RS-1 explicitly, and honestly the sound didn't change going to the V-CAN over the setup I'd been using before; the V-CAN is quieter than one of my boxen, but about 1:1 with the PC's driver. They really don't need much to drive, and I have to drop my source level pretty aggressively to have any range on the V-CAN due to how high it's gain is setup.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5,735 of 65,761
Quote:
Quote:
I knew you would come over to the dark side. You must have been craving some current!
biggrin.gif

I posted about it a while ago I thought...

I didn't get the V-CAN for the RS-1 explicitly, and honestly the sound didn't change going to the V-CAN over the setup I'd been using before; the V-CAN is quieter than one of my boxen, but about 1:1 with the PC's driver. They really don't need much to drive, and I have to drop my source level pretty aggressively to have any range on the V-CAN due to how high it's gain is setup.

Grados (and other relatively sensitive, low impedance cans) need a buffer more so than an amp.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #5,739 of 65,761
^During what part of the song do you hear it? Coincidentally that's one of the test songs I used when I got my SR325s in the mail yesterday and I didn't hear any buzzing in it then or as I'm listening to it now. FWIW, I'm 99% sure I got mine from Amazon and I'm listening to it straight from my iPhone 4's headphone out.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #5,740 of 65,761
Don't know if anyone has come across or mentioned this before, but it caught my eye that the past couple days Grado Labs has paired up w/ Dolce & Gabbana to provide "fashion headphones" called DS2012. They simply look like GS1000(i) that were re-branded with the fashion name to justify the bumped up price tag of $1250. I could be wrong here and perhaps Grado did update the GS1000 for this offering, but I simply don't know (especially with what little information I have come across). At the very least it looks like Grado headphones are finally given an upgrade from the "pizza box." Let's hope that there were other changes.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #5,741 of 65,761
Quote:
Don't know if anyone has come across or mentioned this before, but it caught my eye that the past couple days Grado Labs has paired up w/ Dolce & Gabbana to provide "fashion headphones" called DS2012. They simply look like GS1000(i) that were re-branded with the fashion name to justify the bumped up price tag of $1250. I could be wrong here and perhaps Grado did update the GS1000 for this offering, but I simply don't know (especially with what little information I have come across). At the very least it looks like Grado headphones are finally given an upgrade from the "pizza box." Let's hope that there were other changes.

I sort of liked the pizza box. It's always a bit of a happy reminder that I'm getting grados.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #5,745 of 65,761
Finally a pair of "fashion" headphones that are worth their pricetag - I like the boxing too. Seems like a rather large middle finger towards Prada too. :p

Got any more info on them?

Did a bit of searching - these look like they're gonna be a limited run or otherwise non-mainstreamed product; probably something that very few people would actually ever see except for them showing up on the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back