Grado Fan Club!
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5,611 of 66,264
Screw it, if I can get an Asgard for around $160, I'll get it. The price difference is something I could very easily blow in one night on booze and "trees". Atleast this way, it's something I'll have again the next day! I have a misc. amount to spend soon and this way, I'll get more value out of it.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #5,612 of 66,264
Quote:
Audioengine D1 will do that and it has an optical in for use away from your pc

Love my D1...I use it exactly that way, too - as a stand alone DAC. The little built in headamp is all you need for Grados. Sounds great!

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #5,614 of 66,264
Quote:
what do you use for a source? i hooked mine up to my dvd once and it was great for movies.

Glad you asked! I use it primarily with my Apple Airport Express, and then I use the (free) remote app on my iPhone as the controller. This little rig is hugely inexpensive and it has been absolutely flawless. A huge improvement over the squeezebox duet I had been using previously. 99% of my music is in Apple Lossless, so I stream them over the network using the AEX and the D1. I've also had a lot of fun changing my Oppo to stereo output, and then connecting the optical cable from the Oppo into the D1. So I could not agree more about movie sound....it was stellar, and that was even just with some dialogue driven film I watched at the time. 

I wish Audio Engine wouldn't market this strictly as a USB dac/amp for the computer, cause as we've both experienced, the thing is a fantastic stand alone. I have a little Belkin power strip that has two USB adapters on it, so I basically just plug this thing in like I would anything else. It really couldn't be more satisfying if it tried...great little product. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #5,615 of 66,264
Quote:

Glad you asked! I use it primarily with my Apple Airport Express, and then I use the (free) remote app on my iPhone as the controller. This little rig is hugely inexpensive and it has been absolutely flawless. A huge improvement over the squeezebox duet I had been using previously. 99% of my music is in Apple Lossless, so I stream them over the network using the AEX and the D1. I've also had a lot of fun changing my Oppo to stereo output, and then connecting the optical cable from the Oppo into the D1. So I could not agree more about movie sound....it was stellar, and that was even just with some dialogue driven film I watched at the time. 

I wish Audio Engine wouldn't market this strictly as a USB dac/amp for the computer, cause as we've both experienced, the thing is a fantastic stand alone. I have a little Belkin power strip that has two USB adapters on it, so I basically just plug this thing in like I would anything else. It really couldn't be more satisfying if it tried...great little product. 

I finally decided to get an Audio Engine D1 to pair with my PS500S.   Is it possible to add another TUBE Amp (Little dot I+) for the D1 in the future, although, the D1 already have an Amp?  

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #5,616 of 66,264
Quote:
I finally decided to get an Audio Engine D1 to pair with my PS500S.   Is it possible to add another TUBE Amp (Little dot I+) for the D1 in the future, although, the D1 already have an Amp?  

Yep, sure is. That's exactly how I use mine. I have RCA splitters on the back of my D1....the signal goes right to both Little Dot amp and my tube buffer (and then to the Meier amp). I only use the D1 amp when I take it to the other room and use it with the Oppo. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #5,617 of 66,264
Yep, sure is. That's exactly how I use mine. I have RCA splitters on the back of my D1....the signal goes right to both Little Dot amp and my tube buffer (and then to the Meier amp). I only use the D1 amp when I take it to the other room and use it with the Oppo. 

Great! Little dot tube amp will be my next upgrade, but let 's see if the D1 is sufficient for my taste... :D

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #5,618 of 66,264
Nov 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5,619 of 66,264
Quote:
Great! Little dot tube amp will be my next upgrade, but let 's see if the D1 is sufficient for my taste...
biggrin.gif

You might be surprised...the little amp in the D1 did plenty good with my SR80s, 325s, and 500s. I have upgraded the tubes in my LD amp, though, and I like the little bit of tubyness that's added to the sound. I enjoy having a small collection of less expensive amps to play around with. If I'm listening critically, the LD will usually get the call with my Grados. You'll like having both available to you, I bet :)  

I'll also say that LD has phenomenal customer service. Nothing against the Chinese, but I'll typically prefer buying either American, German, or British. But this is one company where they really go out of their way to deliver a nice product and make sure you're well taken care of. Once you play around with it a bit, I'd really encourage you to find some better tubes for it. You dont' have to break the bank...there are some nice options at the <$50 price point. My Telefunken/AEGs were like $35 and I like them quite a lot. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #5,620 of 66,264
Quote:

You might be surprised...the little amp in the D1 did plenty good with my SR80s, 325s, and 500s. I have upgraded the tubes in my LD amp, though, and I like the little bit of tubyness that's added to the sound. I enjoy having a small collection of less expensive amps to play around with. If I'm listening critically, the LD will usually get the call with my Grados. You'll like having both available to you, I bet :)  

I'll also say that LD has phenomenal customer service. Nothing against the Chinese, but I'll typically prefer buying either American, German, or British. But this is one company where they really go out of their way to deliver a nice product and make sure you're well taken care of. Once you play around with it a bit, I'd really encourage you to find some better tubes for it. You dont' have to break the bank...there are some nice options at the <$50 price point. My Telefunken/AEGs were like $35 and I like them quite a lot. 

It took me a month to decide which DAC/Amp to get.  I almost bought the FIIO E17 , but I was hesitant to mail the unit back to China if it breaks within the 1 year warranty.  My budget is $200 or less and the Audio Engine D1 with USA service center support  and a 3 year warranty (Parts $ labor) is hard to pass.... 
Thanks again for the info Focker. 
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #5,621 of 66,264
Quote:
It took me a month to decide which DAC/Amp to get.  I almost bought the FIIO E17 , but I was hesitant to mail the unit back to China if it breaks within the 1 year warranty.  My budget is $200 or less and the Audio Engine D1 with USA service center support  and a 3 year warranty (Parts $ labor) is hard to pass.... 
Thanks again for the info Focker. 
wink.gif

Anytime...let us know how you like it if you pick one up! Audio Engine has great customer service...I have a pair of their little A2 active speakers and of course the D1. One of my favorite audio companies. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #5,624 of 66,264
I just got my very first Grados, or actually I didn't yet buy them but got them from local dealer to try at home over weekend. In the shop I have listened SR325is few times and waiting that they'll get the SR225i that I wanted. Even though I liked 325, I wanted to try SR225i not only that they were almost 100€ cheaper but because I have read that they are liked quite much. And happy that I did wait, because I like the sound of these (still only about 5-6 hours, so not burned in) but because these are lighter than 325, these are way more comfortable for me. But as said, I have time to try this whole weekend and if I find something negative, I won't buy these.

I have AKG K240 MKII with Beyer DT770 pads. I like them as well, but I heard disturbing sound when moving my head with eyeglasses on. Now there is no such noise with Grados. Let's see :)

edit:
Now as I've listened few hours using Grados, I don't think really like those AKG's that much. Just plugged them on and tried to listen some good old fashioned Finnish Rock (Hanoi Rocks – A Day Late a Dollar Short :wink:) but it felt as there were not only curtain but carpet between... Well, it's still burn in time for Grados and I've took beer or two, so things may change...

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #5,625 of 66,264
Quote:
I just got my very first Grados, or actually I didn't yet buy them but got them from local dealer to try at home over weekend. In the shop I have listened SR325is few times and waiting that they'll get the SR225i that I wanted. Even though I liked 325, I wanted to try SR225i not only that they were almost 100€ cheaper but because I have read that they are liked quite much. And happy that I did wait, because I like the sound of these (still only about 5-6 hours, so not burned in) but because these are lighter than 325, these are way more comfortable for me. But as said, I have time to try this whole weekend and if I find something negative, I won't buy these.

I have AKG K240 MKII with Beyer DT770 pads. I like them as well, but I heard disturbing sound when moving my head with eyeglasses on. Now there is no such noise with Grados. Let's see :)

Congratulations. The 225i are very nice and certainly more comfortable than the 325is! Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back