Grado Fan Club!
Aug 7, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #55,501 of 65,930
Mods if you are lurking about and have a direct line to Grado?
Could you please thank them from me for all the great sounding headphones over the years👍

I would love too see the day when walking down the street and all the young hipsters are wearing a closed back Grado.
Wooden closed back cups bit like the AudioTechnica ES line.
Detachable cables in a 4.4mm connection.
Metal gimbals and a rod lock screw.
Doesn’t need to be wireless as it would look lovely and sound great.

Also if you have a line to Grado please suggest a option or a up sale to there line?
Ie detachable cables, metal gimbals, locking screw and different coloured leather head bands.
I’m sure they would sell.
Thanks once again team Grado.

Please keep up the good work.👍

Aug 7, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #55,503 of 65,930
One thing I wish they would sort out is the cables.
Many OE companies make cables far more flexible and supple.
To stop the cable twist make them detachable?
That would involve more money for jacks in the ear cup.
Who buys Grados? I am 70+ and only recently discovered the quality "Grado Sound". I am guessing that the $300 and up models sell well among the 50 and up demographic that like a bright coloration.

So what amplifiers are these folks using, in other words how many have 1/4" jacks on their music sources, and how many have 4.4mm balanced sockets?
Personally, the only 1/4" jack have is on the living room AV amplifier. I listen to my headphones via my Fiio M11 Pro and Cayin RU6, both of which offer higher power via 4.4mm balanced outputs.

I am planning to install 3.5mm mono jacks in my SR325x. Looks like they will cost about $5. I will re-purpose my "silver" Meze 3.5 to 4.4mm cables.

Possible downside is that the jacks will ware out over time. Looks like Grado cables are designed to withstand abuse for life.

See picture below for my "Clampett" solution to the heavy Grado cable.

P.S. I plan to use the hot water method to melt the glue on the aluminum cups (using a zip lock bag to keep them dry). I am still apprehensive about damaging the drivers with heat. Is the glue harder to melt on the SR325x? Anyone heard of a better method?

Attachments

• Grado with clamp.jpg
    Grado with clamp.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 7, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #55,504 of 65,930
Who buys Grados? I am 70+ and only recently discovered the quality "Grado Sound". I am guessing that the $300 and up models sell well among the 50 and up demographic that like a bright coloration.

So what amplifiers are these folks using, in other words how many have 1/4" jacks on their music sources, and how many have 4.4mm balanced sockets?
Personally, the only 1/4" jack have is on the living room AV amplifier. I listen to my headphones via my Fiio M11 Pro and Cayin RU6, both of which offer higher power via 4.4mm balanced outputs.

I am planning to install 3.5mm mono jacks in my SR325x. Looks like they will cost about $5. I will re-purpose my "silver" Meze 3.5 to 4.4mm cables.

Possible downside is that the jacks will ware out over time. Looks like Grado cables are designed to withstand abuse for life.

See picture below for my "Clampett" solution to the heavy Grado cable.

P.S. I plan to use the hot water method to melt the glue on the aluminum cups (using a zip lock bag to keep them dry). I am still apprehensive about damaging the drivers with heat. Is the glue harder to melt on the SR325x? Anyone heard of a better method?
Lovely set up.👍
How about maybe using Velcro on the back of the RU6 and stick it to the headphone stand or the IFi unit???

I use Velcro on the back of my Questyle M15 and stick it to a cheap phone case.
Just swap phone case when not using it.

Your right I think the 1/4 jack is pretty much on its way out now?
Far better to use 4.4mm and a adapter/ adapter cable now.
Good use of the MeZe cable.

Ledzep is about to open up his PE500e and he’s already done his SR325X so he’s your man.
I personally would use a small hot air gun on the Ali cups .
There’s lots of videos on YouTube of people opening Grado cups.

You say your only 70 so better buy a few jack plugs just in case you wear them out ?😁

Aug 7, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #55,505 of 65,930
Totally agree build them better and might attract new customers.
One reason I use Grados is the very light weight.
Very few light weight good sounding headphones around.

100%. To me, it can be a chore to use heavier headphones in comparison to how light Grados are. Even though I really liked the Empyreans, it always felt like an event when listening to them. Nothing beats how easy it is to put on and take off a pair of Grados.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #55,508 of 65,930
Anyone who has a pair of Shipibo black rodblocks for Grado you want to sell please PM me. I think I'm reading on the Shipibo website that the rodblocks are now ceramic and the older ones were aluminum?

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #55,509 of 65,930
Still undecided which to go for to match up with the 500e's
Screenshot_20220807-220224_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220807-220248_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220807-220327_Chrome.jpg
Half thins , thin classic, standard classic

Which do you think?
I like the second pair.

BTW, I just sent @ledzep a PM about opening up the SR325x.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #55,510 of 65,930
Because higher end niche products tend to be made either by hand or in much smaller batches and don't have the resources to do as extensive of QA as a big manufacturing plant does. With something hand made like the Grados, even if the design is great there may be an issue as things settle after being assembled - especially on new construction techniques and with new materials like we're seeing with the Hemps and RS1x.

Hifiman has no excuse though. I think they're just cheap and/or stubborn.
Exactly correct. When you go to a high end audio meet, there are many very small or single person businesses there offering their wares. The demand on very high-end products is limited, so scaling production doesn't always make sense. Grado is an interesting hybrid. They sell many headphones and their gear is offered through many distribution networks, however they still operate like a very small business when it comes to production. I think Cardas is very similar. I believe the Joe to John transition saw the prioritization of cost cutting, and while that sounds bad to most people, sometimes it is 100% necessary to keep a business afloat. When a business fails, those novel products leave the market and consumers have fewer options. Bringing products to a saturated market and being successful is a very difficult proposition and most people don't realize this.

I get the impression Grado hired a marketing/PR firm in the last couple of years, thus the newer packaging, changed logo, prioritization of family run/heritage, etc. If revenue is your primary interest, reduce product cost and increase demand via targeted marketing. Pretty much every large corporation in the U.S. operates this way.

I run a one person business making quality handmade goods and because of all the work I put into it I tend to prefer hand-made artisan goods as well. Were Grados churned out overseas via an assembly system they'd be far cheaper, but there would be no charm.

Also, FWIW, if you want something similar to a Grado that is clearly hand-made but the build quality is extremely high, look at the entry level Spirit Torinos - Super Leggara. Every piece is machined aluminum and high quality leather. No modern business would make something like this, far too time consuming to make and costly to build. Only a small business who wants to make a great product despite the cost makes something like this. I'm working on a review of the Super Leggara ($1600) vs. GS-2000e ($1400) and while I love both, I think the Super Leggara is better balanced and the transition from the sub-base to the midrange isn't as abrupt. FYI I'm using the latest version with new earpads and driver damping system. Without those the Super Leggera is more Grado-esq with powerful sub-bass.

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #55,513 of 65,930
Aug 8, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #55,515 of 65,930

Users who are viewing this thread

Back