Grado Fan Club!
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #54,541 of 65,633
I agree with all these points .. I was wondering if somebody could try some balanced cable and noticed some improvements or not for the Grado concerning layering though it's, of course, not a big issue in real life.
For sure, the Stealth is technically superior in most departments (though, for high frequencies, for my limited to 15khz ears, the Grado seems to offer some more details/presence than the stealth), which makes maybe music enjoyable.

I wish I could speak about the gs3000e, but as for the RS1x, balanced does make a difference to my ears. I converted mine to balanced myself.

I initially scoffed at the $170 charge for Grado to convert to XLR, but I am now convinced that is the approximate improvement you get with balanced. Ie, the increase in soundstaging and layering is about a $170 improvement if you were to consider the XLR version a "special edition". I hope that makes sense...

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #54,542 of 65,633
So the gold was «i» from 03-07?
The other was not?
Just doing a Google. And it says the gold came out in 2003. And are the Improved version of the sr325 .....hence the , I, came out.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #54,545 of 65,633
Your exactly right ...if I owned rs1x like I own hemp i would be worried if not before
The RS1x is now off my list as I'm not dropping $750 on something I hope will be o.k.

I would consider the hemp if it wasn't called 'hemp' with a pot leaf on the badge. I'm perfectly fine with the material itself and onboard with the legalization/decriminalization of marijuana and most other drugs, but it's not something I want displayed on my possessions. Then again, I don't wear clothing with brand names, logos or advertising. But I digress... Back to the Wilson Aqualung remix.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #54,546 of 65,633
The RS1x is now off my list as I'm not dropping $750 on something that I hope will be o.k.

I would consider the hemp if it wasn't called 'hemp' with a pot leaf on the badge. I'm perfectly fine with the material itself and onboard with the legalization/decriminalization of marijuana and most other drugs, but it's not something I displayed on my possessions. Then again, I don't wear clothing plastered with brand names or advertising. But I digress... Back to the Wilson Aqualung remix.
You already own two great Grados! :)
Check out DT1770/1990 instead 😛🤡

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #54,548 of 65,633
I agree with all these points .. I was wondering if somebody could try some balanced cable and noticed some improvements or not for the Grado concerning layering though it's, of course, not a big issue in real life.
For sure, the Stealth is technically superior in most departments (though, for high frequencies, for my limited to 15khz ears, the Grado seems to offer some more details/presence than the stealth), which makes maybe music enjoyable.
RU6 with Grado SR325is Balanced

I cut the cables coming out of the Grado cups just above the Y junction, and added 3.5mm Mono Sockets.
Using a 4.4mm "silver" cable from Meze, I am really enjoying the RU6/SR325is combo. Volume around 30db.

Very realistic sound stage. Accurate imaging and placement. Good bass response (with new Grado flat pads).
No sibilance issues. Vocals are the most enjoyable of my HP collection. Lizz Wright fans:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/79138843

Attachments

• RU6-SR325is DSCF3273.jpg
    RU6-SR325is DSCF3273.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #54,549 of 65,633
The RS1x is now off my list as I'm not dropping $750 on something I hope will be o.k.

I would consider the hemp if it wasn't called 'hemp' with a pot leaf on the badge. I'm perfectly fine with the material itself and onboard with the legalization/decriminalization of marijuana and most other drugs, but it's not something I want displayed on my possessions. Then again, I don't wear clothing with brand names, logos or advertising. But I digress... Back to the Wilson Aqualung remix.
Agreed!

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #54,550 of 65,633

The hemp are very good and i personally wouldn't rule them out because of a badge all though that is down to individual choice....I will still possibly consider rs1x too , but I agree for some it's a lot of money for potential problems even if very small amount of issues .... again if you go in knowing then I think it shouldn't be a problem as most who have had issues seem to be very soon or on purchase within warranty and as @Damien Grief said how many have purchased and been very happy? We are the small vocal community. ... but it would obviously make a few hesitant.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #54,551 of 65,633
The SR325 50th and SR225e are indeed great. I'm no longer sure about the SR325x though. I could live with it if I didn't have the other two, but it's not great. Kind of like it has a face for radio. :triportsad:
Really?

The SR325X is one of my favorites of my 25+ headphones

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #54,553 of 65,633
So I'm now a member of the grado club since I decided to test the grado waters with a set of 325x's on recommendation and a bit of reading up on, plus I got a set of mint condition open box for £190, which for the UK ( and our rip off prices) is pretty good. Parts in for the cable mod yesterday and the headphones have just been delivered to work now. Going with the 3.5mm socket as I'm not a fan of 2.5 plugs had to many included oyaide and furutech fail, question is do I go with the gold for a bit of bling or rhodium to keep it matching the cups ?
A word of caution trying to convert the Grado cable to balanced... the blue (ground) wires in both cables above the Y junction are joined inside the Y junction. That is, you cannot cut off the 1/4" plug and add a balanced plug (XLR or 4.4mm). See my balanced conversion post above.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #54,555 of 65,633
A word of caution trying to convert the Grado cable to balanced... the blue (ground) wires in both cables above the Y junction are joined inside the Y junction. That is, you cannot cut off the 1/4" plug and add a balanced plug (XLR or 4.4mm). See my balanced conversion post above.

You may have gotten a defective unit, as did @majo123.

I was able to convert my RS1x to XLR without issue. There were 4 blue wires, and my multimeter indicated that they were the "hot" ones. I just needed to determine which 2 belonged to which channel. I put my headphones on, and could hear clicking when I had the correct wires associated with the correct channel.

But then again, I am an amateur and could have just gotten lucky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back