Grado Fan Club!
May 8, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #52,741 of 65,581
Same signature?
Definitely. And that is a huge compliment to the RS2X. The X is has a more full bodied sound and bass extension.

I'll let some music playing on the X for the next few days and compare them again next weekend

Also, I didn't really like the wood layers and the hemp sandwich concept when they released the newer models, but they are beautiful in person

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #52,743 of 65,581
May 9, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #52,744 of 65,581
I did the deed over the weekend; I reterminated my RS1x with an XLR balanced connector. Since I didn't change the cabling, this was a good way to listen to the difference that balanced brings vs. single ended.

As some folks have said, this was relatively easy to do, and only took about half hour total - and for perspective, my soldering skills are pretty basic. You must use a multimeter to determine which wires should be soldered where though, so that you don't blow your amp or headphones. The most complicated part was that Grado had to make things difficult by using 4 identical blue wires - two per channel. Mine measured 40 ohms when wired correctly.

FWIW, even just a soldered termination needs break-in time. I didn't expect this. In my initial listening, I heard a lot of glare, minimal bass, and simply could not hear details that are expected in my audiophile reference song list. The sound improved after about 10 hours in, but until then I had some panicked "OMG - what have I done???" moments.

TL;DR: balanced improves everything that the RS1x is already good at and especially mitigates its weakness. Specifically, the RS1x was already open, textured, and layered, but with XLR, these traits stuck out all the more. The soundstage didn't necessarily open up, but the images became more stark within the layers. I would chalk this up to higher resolution. If you appreciate these traits like I do, this will put quite the smile on your face.

As an example, Fleetwood Mac's Dreams is one of my reference songs. I have heard it more times than I can could count, but I had never heard Stevie Nicks faintly humming the song's melody at about 12 seconds in. Nor have I heard Mick Fleetwood's drums have as much texture as they now have.

I didn't hear any difference in tonality.

Bass definitely improved. This had been the RS1x's biggest weakness. I was actually able to bump up the bass via EQ another 2 decibles - which made a meaningful difference. I now don't feel like I am missing anything across most genres of music. This probably still isn't the best headphone for Synthwave or Downtempo Electronica, but the lack of bass no longer stands out (e.g., Thievery Corporation sounds fantastic). But the RS1x survived torture tracks such as Claptone's No Eyes. And I was able to hear sustained sub bass on tracks such as Sonique's It Feels So Good (at 1:36), or Mesa from the Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack. Previously all I got was distortion without actually getting the sub bass. Bass impact was also improved - e.g., the drums at the beginning of Joy Division's Atmosphere have never sounded more jarring.

My experience with balanced amplification is that you get the effect of greater volume, but without the sound getting louder. This allows me to hear deeper into the music. The only downside with the RS1x is that I prefer a more distant presentation, but now the perspective sounds a bit physically closer to the performance.

If you already have a balanced amp, I highly recommend this mod. You can always use an inexpensive adapter to plug into single ended sources. In terms of ROI, this was $12 (from Amazon) very well spent. I don't think I have ever heard this much sonic improvement for such little money.

I am still tempted to have a 3.5mm jack installed on each headphone so that I can use my aftermarket XLR cables. My experience is that with higher end cables (more complex geometry, better metal such as UP OCC/single crystal copper, etc.) you get even more of a boost in soundstaging, imaging, layering, and textures. But for now I will just enjoy the boost I am getting...

Attachments

• 20220509_093303.JPG
    20220509_093303.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #52,745 of 65,581
I did the deed over the weekend; I reterminated my RS1x with an XLR balanced connector. Since I didn't change the cabling, this was a good way to listen to the difference that balanced brings vs. single ended.

As some folks have said, this was relatively easy to do, and only took about half hour total - and for perspective, my soldering skills are pretty basic. You must use a multimeter to determine which wires should be soldered where though, so that you don't blow your amp or headphones. The most complicated part was that Grado had to make things difficult by using 4 identical blue wires - two per channel. Mine measured 40 ohms when wired correctly.

FWIW, even just a soldered termination needs break-in time. I didn't expect this. In my initial listening, I heard a lot of glare, minimal bass, and simply could not hear details that are expected in my audiophile reference song list. The sound improved after about 10 hours in, but until then I had some panicked "OMG - what have I done???" moments.

TL;DR: balanced improves everything that the RS1x is already good at and especially mitigates its weakness. Specifically, the RS1x was already open, textured, and layered, but with XLR, these traits stuck out all the more. The soundstage didn't necessarily open up, but the images became more stark within the layers. I would chalk this up to higher resolution. If you appreciate these traits like I do, this will put quite the smile on your face.

As an example, Fleetwood Mac's Dreams is one of my reference songs. I have heard it more times than I can could count, but I had never heard Stevie Nicks faintly humming the song's melody at about 12 seconds in. Nor have I heard Mick Fleetwood's drums have as much texture as they now have.

Bass definitely improved. This had been the RS1x's biggest weakness. I was actually able to bump up the bass via EQ another 2 decibles - which made a meaningful difference. I now don't feel like I am missing anything across most genres of music. This probably still isn't the best headphone for Synthwave or Downtempo Electronica, but the lack of bass no longer stands out (e.g., Thievery Corporation sounds fantastic). But the RS1x survived torture tracks such as Claptone's No Eyes. And I was able to hear sustained sub bass on tracks such as Sonique's It Feels So Good (at 1:36), or Mesa from the Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack. Previously all I got was distortion without actually getting the sub bass. Bass impact was also improved - e.g., the drums at the beginning of Joy Division's Atmosphere have never sounded more jarring.

My experience with balanced amplification is that you get the effect of greater volume, but without the sound getting louder. This allows me to hear deeper into the music. The only downside with the RS1x is that I prefer a more distant presentation, but now the perspective sounds a bit physically closer to the performance.

If you already have a balanced amp, I highly recommend this mod. You can always use an inexpensive adapter to plug into single ended sources. In terms of ROI, this was $12 (from Amazon) very well spent. I don't think I have ever heard this much sonic improvement for such little money.

I am still tempted to have a 3.5mm jack installed on each headphone so that I can use my aftermarket XLR cables. My experience is that with higher end cables (more complex geometry, better metal such as UP OCC/single crystal copper, etc.) you get even more of a boost in soundstaging, imaging, layering, and textures. But for now I will just enjoy the boost I am getting...
Excellent! Wish I had had the same ease with my 325x still ongoing and I'm actually in communication with Grado over my 4 Blue wires all measuring out/ buzzing for continuity... they have been less than forthcoming even after doing a new video showing that no reason for it.... anyway watch this space on this one ...
Going back to your XLR and for all who are not confident in there soldering skill, this is much easier than soldering a 4.4 pentaconn and neutrik do excellent XLR adapters too, so you can swap out as needed.

US $21.00 30%OFF | HIFI New NEUTRIK 4 Pin XLR to 4.4mm 3.5mm 2.5mm Pentaconn Adapter Male to Female
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrvuhpu

May 9, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #52,746 of 65,581

Im probably going to do all mine at some point .. just getting the time.
Excellent though and glad it's brought out the best in your rs1x, if you're planning on keeping for the long haul then way to go with all cans that can easily be done balanced.

May 9, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #52,747 of 65,581
Got my new toy today. Looks much better than I thought. Those are some Hard, Scratchy pads!

20220509_181308~2.jpg

May 9, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #52,749 of 65,581
Nice, thanks for sharing your impressions. I was very curious after @majo123 had the strange experience of shorted grounds.

Got my new toy today. Looks much better than I thought. Those are some Hard, Scratchy pads!
You must have the older version with TTVJ pads. Grados flat pads are soft, but I don't like them quite as much.

May 9, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #52,750 of 65,581
Going back to your XLR and for all who are not confident in there soldering skill, this is much easier than soldering a 4.4 pentaconn and neutrik do excellent XLR adapters too, so you can swap out as needed.

US $21.00 30%OFF | HIFI New NEUTRIK 4 Pin XLR to 4.4mm 3.5mm 2.5mm Pentaconn Adapter Male to Female
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrvuhpu
I'd personally avoid the adapters that have a TRS or TRRRS on one side unless the unit is resting on a desk; the weight of the adapter and subsequent connector will eventually screw up the springiness of the contacts on whatever jack you're plugging them into. The other ones look very nice though.

May 9, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #52,751 of 65,581
I use the ‘new(?)’ TTVJ deluxe flats on Hemp and RS1x. Not scratchy at all. Shane D, the colour of your Hemp h/p looks a bit lighter than that on mine. Is it the light for the picture?

May 9, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #52,752 of 65,581
I use the ‘new(?)’ TTVJ deluxe flats on Hemp and RS1x. Not scratchy at all. Shane D, the colour of your Hemp h/p looks a bit lighter than that on mine. Is it the light for the picture?
They seem pretty light. Nice
Smooth surface though. I just dug out some Chinese knock-off G-pads that I haven't touched in years. Not sure about the sound. I want to play with these for several days before I try my BA pads.

The stock pads are much rougher than my knock-off pads. I will have to dig out my L-pads and compare.

I just took a few pics, but it is getting late and it's cloudy.

20220509_193633_HDR~2.jpg20220509_193646_HDR~2.jpg20220509_193653~2.jpg

May 9, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #52,753 of 65,581
1DC4DEF1-F4E7-4BE0-AA40-958C1BA8B7AF.jpeg
F98AA76B-4777-4124-B352-A8B2299C0097.jpeg

😍🥲

May 9, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #52,754 of 65,581
The knock off G-Cushs don't do a thing for me. Much like the Shipibo pads, I think they are just too far from the drivers.

After one run through my test list, the stock pads sounded Much better.

May 9, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #52,755 of 65,581
The knock off G-Cushs don't do a thing for me. Much like the Shipibo pads, I think they are just too far from the drivers.

After one run through my test list, the stock pads sounded Much better.
I have, on Hemp & RS1x, alternated between Fs and Gs. I find myself with the Fs more often. For me at this point, F = involving listen, G = relaxing listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back