Grado Fan Club!
Jan 30, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #50,838 of 65,633
This could be a game changer
I don't know. I bought the Shipibo pads, the full leather BA L pads, the hybrid big BA pads, the Geekria G pads...and I always revert back to the original. Always.

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #50,840 of 65,633
My experience swapping Grado pads is that they ruin the sound.
Concur! Have a whole drawer of 3rd party pads. I'm unwilling to give up the Grado "sound" for comfort. I've found that the stock pads actually become quite comfortable as they wear in a bit. YMMV :)

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #50,841 of 65,633
I am partial to the G-cushions - especially on Hemp and on RS-1x. $ can be ‘saved’ by knockoffs but the 🎼 is ‘savaged’. [I’ll use ZMF pads on ZMF headphones: specific pads for the headphones that they came with.]

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #50,842 of 65,633
I‘ve got an update on this.

I contacted Grado to inquire about this problem, and since I’m located in Canada, I was referred over to Grado’s Canadian distributor. I contacted the distributor and they’ve been super helpful. I explained the issue and so they tried to reproduce it themselves to come to a solution. They were able to reproduce it, and then apparently solve the issue by applying a certain type of wood oil to the headphone.

So now they’ve not only explained to me how to apply the oil, but they’re sending me some in the mail so that I can apply it myself, rather than having to spend the time and money to ship in the whole headphone. Now I’m waiting for the shipment so that I can try it out myself. I’ve got my fingers crossed. The gentleman I’ve been in communication with has been extremely helpful. Hopefully this oil does the trick.

Another update:

I received the oil. He sent a small sample in a packet, but it was more than enough for the headphones.

I applied it using the instructions given (basically, remove the pads and cups from from the headband, put a few drops on a lint-free cotton cloth, rub it all over the wood, wait 10-20 minutes, rub away any excess with a clean part of the cloth, wait 12 hours, and do the same for a second coat).

It’s already looking a whole lot better. I don’t know if I‘d say it looks like new, but the first coat got it 75% of the way there and after the second coat, maybe 90% of the way. The headphones are looking great again.

Now I just need to wait for the second coat to dry, do one more rubdown with the cotton cloth, and then I can put them back together and listen again.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #50,844 of 65,633
The Hemps waited patiently for about two weeks whilst I've danced with other more expensive models.
We had the afternoon tea together.
All I wanted to say these have no right to sound this good for the price.
Bloody Norah...
It is a great headphone: at the price and in itself, full stop. [A wonderful sibling to PS 2000e, GS3000e, RS-1x.]

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #50,845 of 65,633
Another update:

I received the oil. He sent a small sample in a packet, but it was more than enough for the headphones.

I applied it using the instructions given (basically, remove the pads and cups from from the headband, put a few drops on a lint-free cotton cloth, rub it all over the wood, wait 10-20 minutes, rub away any excess with a clean part of the cloth, wait 12 hours, and do the same for a second coat).

It’s already looking a whole lot better. I don’t know if I‘d say it looks like new, but the first coat got it 75% of the way there and after the second coat, maybe 90% of the way. The headphones are looking great again.

Now I just need to wait for the second coat to dry, do one more rubdown with the cotton cloth, and then I can put them back together and listen again.
Do you keep them out in the open or in a case? Mine are in the clamshell case…away from any heating / AC vents.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #50,847 of 65,633
Do you keep them out in the open or in a case? Mine are in the clamshell case…away from any heating / AC vents.

I had them hanging on a hook attached to a shelf a couple feet above my desk. In terms of heating, I have a space heater on the floor in the room, so it’s about 4-5 feet lower and maybe 6-7 feet away.

I wouldn’t think that would affect the headphones, as that’s fairly far away. But perhaps I should store the headphones in some sort of enclosure just in case.

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #50,848 of 65,633
My first set of "real" phones were SR80e's! :) Sold them but I would be stoked to listen to some higher end ones. Unfortunately the on-ear phones never sat well with me for longer listening sessions :frowning2:
Maybe the G-cushions will help! They certainly did the job for me!

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #50,849 of 65,633
My first set of "real" phones were SR80e's! :) Sold them but I would be stoked to listen to some higher end ones. Unfortunately the on-ear phones never sat well with me for longer listening sessions :frowning2:
I just bought a cheap (40 $) second hand SR80e. Still waiting for them. They will be my first venture into Grado Land. Really excited about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back