Grado Fan Club!
Dec 7, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #49,966 of 65,623
I like a lot of these answers for a “what’s in the stable” as I’m currently looking for a smaller desktop dac & headphone amp to supplement my larger HiFi system when I want to go chill in my office and break the headphones out.

Quick question; I am new to the HeadFi thing and looking at the Schiit stuff along with IFI, etc…what are the pros and cons of getting a SS amp vs a tube amp? I’m a guitarist so I understand the benefits of pushing tubes in a guitar/tube amp scenario for the tone and feel, but what are the differences pros/cons of going either SS or Tube for a headphone amp (or even stereo tune be amp for that matter)?

Sorry if that’s a multi-layered and/or controversial question….I don’t mean to start a debate, just a broad general overview is all I’m looking for.

Thanks for any info.

My 2 cents, both have their place.

Going "full tube" works magic on SOME headphones, but overall it is a specific application.

Solid state is generally good for MOST (not all) applications.

If I was spending $250, I would buy the Schiit Asgard 3
If I was spending $500, I would buy the Schiit LYR 3 which is a hybrid (Tube preamp section which is where tubes do their most magic and solid state amplifier section for more power and the ability to drive power hungry headphones).

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #49,967 of 65,623
I like a lot of these answers for a “what’s in the stable” as I’m currently looking for a smaller desktop dac & headphone amp to supplement my larger HiFi system when I want to go chill in my office and break the headphones out.

Quick question; I am new to the HeadFi thing and looking at the Schiit stuff along with IFI, etc…what are the pros and cons of getting a SS amp vs a tube amp? I’m a guitarist so I understand the benefits of pushing tubes in a guitar/tube amp scenario for the tone and feel, but what are the differences pros/cons of going either SS or Tube for a headphone amp (or even stereo tune be amp for that matter)?

Sorry if that’s a multi-layered and/or controversial question….I don’t mean to start a debate, just a broad general overview is all I’m looking for.

Thanks for any info.
That's an excellent question.

Solid state amps generally are clean and neutral-ish. I'd say they are the "safer" choice.

Tubes are cool to look at while they glow. That is their #1 benefit IMHO :) They may "color" the sound somewhat (which you're familiar with using guitar amps). A certain type of tube amp, OTL (output transformer less), typically has a high output impedance, which can change the normal frequency response of the headphones. Conventional wisdom says that OTL amps and low impedance headphones (like Grados) are not a good match for this reason. There are other types of tube amps also which I dont know much about.

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #49,968 of 65,623
The black headbands and red drivers were for the early production runs of the RS1e and RS2e. In particular, because the RS1e had the larger 50mm drivers, they stuck out of the cup, which reduced the soundstage. The headbands were switched to brown when the GS2000e was launched in 2016, which also uses a brown headband. The brown headband RS1e model correctly seats the drivers. Sometime after that, the red drivers changed to black, so what you have is a late production run model.
Thanks. Bought on blackfriday

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #49,969 of 65,623
Hey Grado fans - i had a member, genesyndrome, do a cable mod for me this past year and he did a great job - so good, that i'd like another modded, but he doesn't appear to be around.
Anyone know of another US-based modder that might be able to assist? Thanks

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #49,970 of 65,623
Hey Grado fans - i had a member, genesyndrome, do a cable mod for me this past year and he did a great job - so good, that i'd like another modded, but he doesn't appear to be around.
I was in contact with him in July. Have you PM'd him?

Dec 7, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #49,971 of 65,623
Conventional wisdom says that OTL amps and low impedance headphones (like Grados) are not a good match for this reason.
~ Unexpected outcomes do arise in the Head-Fi world. I have gotten excellent musical results from powering the Grado RS-1x with the Woo Audio WA2 - a classic OTL.
~ The Schiit Valhalla II also is fantastic with the Grado RS-1x. This pairing is not quite the surprise as the other. Despite being an OTL, the Valhalla II output impedance is 3-1/2 ohms at low gain and 14 ohms at high gain.

Dec 7, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #49,972 of 65,623
I did - looks like he’s been off for a few weeks.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #49,973 of 65,623
Brilliant analogy!

Now imagine being personally offended because you believe with your heart and soul that you have the fastest car on tbe road but the radar gun shows you that it actually isn't any faster than your sisters minivan.
May I have the brand and model of that Minivan?
Might be able to fix 2 of my bigger probs…

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #49,974 of 65,623
May I have the brand and model of that Minivan?
Might be able to fix 2 of my bigger probs…
Screenshot_2021-12-07-20-20-37.png

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #49,975 of 65,623
Do you mean the HD DAC1? If so, yes; though I have just sold it.
Ooookaaayyy… and how did this pairing work?
Hearing impressions would be sufficient.
That's describes most of the members of a forum run by a well known subjectivity magazine. What? High fi? I see two polar opposites. Amir's disciples in one corner, obsessed with quantitative assessment and possibly missing the point of sheer enjoyment of the music in the overriding pursuit of truth, the opposite in whf who believe data to be heretic. I think most people in this forum are sensibly in between.
Forget about magazines. They just give you a ... an idea. And most of them don’t want to do more.
(Some of them do measurements too).
Pretty much like our brave and unpaid bloggers and online reviewers do.
And most of them are fun to read.
The decision which to buy is only reasonably done by hearing, not by measurements or other peoples hearing/Opinion.
Unless you are freak like me and curious to hear how this measuremet or that description sounds.
🤪

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #49,977 of 65,623
Ps500 is probably the best performer for the dollar in the Grado Lineup. The problem for me with it is the weight of the headphone. It clamps my ears too much listening to hours even after adjustments. Still an excellent headphone to add to your collection.
Headphone weight and clamping force are separate characteristics. Headphone weight issues relate to ‘psi’ which can be alleviated with a headband cover or a headband of greater front-to-back depth (surface area). Clamping force may need gentle and gradual flexing of the headband to alleviate.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #49,978 of 65,623
~ The title of the 1958 Blue Note album by Cannonball Adderley (with Miles Davis as sideman! - for contractual reasons) can be used about the Grado RS-1x: Somethin’ Else!
~ The RS-1x / Valhalla II duet is fantastic (post #49,896 in this thread and post #2,256 in the ‘Valhalla Tube Rolling’ thread). The RS-1x, like another of my favourite headphones: the Sennheiser HD-600, scales up very nicely as the associated gear quality rises. I was not surprised but delighted at the musical goods that the RS-1x brought home when driven by the Linear Tube Audio MZ3. Suffice it to say: excitement, gusto, style, verve. (No ambience/FR dissecting, this time.) While the PS-2000e is sonically better (as it should be), the RS-1x impresses me more for what it is (let alone for what it costs).
AFB4710D-DAAB-4564-957C-EFE6ACAFE2FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #49,979 of 65,623
You can find Gene over @ reddit I purchased my SR325x modded from him and sent him a couple of other Grado's to him for modding, his work is outstanding!

Look Here

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #49,980 of 65,623
Headphone weight and clamping force are separate characteristics. Headphone weight issues relate to ‘psi’ which can be alleviated with a headband cover or a headband of greater front-to-back depth (surface area). Clamping force may need gentle and gradual flexing of the headband to alleviate.
Not if you are contanstly rocking in a a rocking chair with them on then weight does become a Factor with comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back