Grado Fan Club!
Nov 25, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #49,652 of 65,610
Hey people, what might be the ultimate cheap upgrade over the Apple USB C - 3.5 mm dongle for a Grado SR60e user on the very tight budget? Adding a real simple amp or another ultimately cheap DAC? I mean real dirt cheap. He just showed me this;

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vcuvj6
This cable-DAC, as most do, uses a Realtek ALC5686 which is a cheap PC/phone/portable onboard chip. In theory it can provide 192 kHz and 45mW, but most companies build it ‘only‘ up to 24 bit/96 kHz. And connected to a phone I don’t think there is enough voltage to gain this power. 8-10 mW on Grados 32/38 Ohms appear more realistic.
Better build quality, no cable and good reviews has the ddHifi TC35B. But it raises the costs by 20 or 30 bucks. Back to 10.- to 20.- :
Some uses an Conexant CX21988 which is an alternative, for example ESR. There is also an CX21988-THX, that may raise the cost by 5.-, but I am not aware about a product where it is build in.
There is also the Cirrus Logic CS46L41 you can find it some chinese adapters made by (or for) JSAUX. They have ‘Hi-Fi Audio Pro‘ printing on the 3.5mm plug. Try ‘JSDENZC2AUXFHFGY‘ on Amazon.
If you want a really audible upgrade look for a Fiio E10 (old: WM8740, new: TI PCM5102). Round about 69.-. The next would be the dragonfly black by 99.- (ES9010).
Next, you reach the Wow!-zone with the Questyle M12 costing 129.- (ES9281 AC and Current Mode Amplification).
Some of the Fiio BTR* work with USB-C connected to Androids, but you need to try that with your stuff (AKM chips, Bluetooth, some with dual DAC (BTR5 (2021 model): dual ES9219 C), some with balanced amplification (BTR3(K)/5)).

Some of these cable thingies do not provide 32 bit or if they do, they do it only up to 96 kHz.
Most can’t handle DSD.
24/96 sounds better than the MQA (hyped) stuff. But 24/192 is even better.
Your SR60e really is a great headphone, a definitely ‘best bang for the bucks‘ thing.
It doesn‘t necessarily need, but it ‘s worth even much better amplification.
You will hear it.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #49,653 of 65,610
Anyone paired a JDS Labs Element 2 with Grados? My Marantz works well, but I'm surprised how close sonically my LG V50 running USB Pro app is. Either the latter is stupendous value or the Marantz a bit disappointing; I suspect a bit of both. It all sounds a bit too polite, missing some dynamics to my ears

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #49,654 of 65,610
Hello, new here and looking for some guidance/opinions if I may be so bold. Here‘s the skinny:

Getting my system set back up. I have a vintage 80‘s Crown rack Straight Line 2 preamp and Crown Power Line 2 25 watt power amp (tuner rack too, but who uses that anymore?!). Never had a good set of headphones as I always ran them through the floor speakers. (Vinyl & CD’s, so I’m fairly new to lossless/HiRes streaming. So basically that’s what I’m working with.

I live in a very remote area now so being able to try before I buy is near impossible. I was torn between some Grados or Audeze LCD-2 Classics. The only thing I was able to demo was the hemps and I was impressed. But I went ahead and ordered the LCD-2C (i know, blasphemy!)…aaaand then the RS1x was released. If I would’ve known I would’ve just ordered the RS1x…So I found a dealer that had a pair of RS1x and was willing to let me return them if I didn’t they didn’t win vs the LCD-2C. So I’ve got the RS1x coming and the LCD-2C still in the box waiting for the main event.

What are your thoughts on what I’ll hear/feel when I get the RS1x and compare them? (I know it’s subjective and I’ll know the answer when I get them…but I’m just curious!)

***But the real reason I’m posting is concerning questions about choosing a DAC/headphone amp. I was pretty set on picking up the new IFI Zen Dac V2 as it’s small, can function as a dac/headphone amp, usb powered, and also has the ability to run RCA outs to my Crown preamp. So I could use it as a (kind of) portable headphone amp and also a desktop/stereo top dac to my preamp.

From reading this thread I saw the Schiit products talked about a lot. i looked into them and was impressed. Never heard of them before.

Would I be good with the IFI for kind of an all-in-one solution, or would a Modi or Modius be better to use as strictly a console top dac into my Crown preamp for when I’m in front of my stereo…and then get a separate portable dac/headphone amp for when I was to listen but I’m not in front of my stereo? (I don’t know, audioquest dragon, FIIO, etc…not sure)

FWIW I would be running Apple music lossless/HiRes for the streaming listening.

Very curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions and I appreciate any advice!

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #49,655 of 65,610
Hello, new here and looking for some guidance/opinions if I may be so bold. Here‘s the skinny:

Getting my system set back up. I have a vintage 80‘s Crown rack Straight Line 2 preamp and Crown Power Line 2 25 watt power amp (tuner rack too, but who uses that anymore?!). Never had a good set of headphones as I always ran them through the floor speakers. (Vinyl & CD’s, so I’m fairly new to lossless/HiRes streaming. So basically that’s what I’m working with.

I live in a very remote area now so being able to try before I buy is near impossible. I was torn between some Grados or Audeze LCD-2 Classics. The only thing I was able to demo was the hemps and I was impressed. But I went ahead and ordered the LCD-2C (i know, blasphemy!)…aaaand then the RS1x was released. If I would’ve known I would’ve just ordered the RS1x…So I found a dealer that had a pair of RS1x and was willing to let me return them if I didn’t they didn’t win vs the LCD-2C. So I’ve got the RS1x coming and the LCD-2C still in the box waiting for the main event.

What are your thoughts on what I’ll hear/feel when I get the RS1x and compare them? (I know it’s subjective and I’ll know the answer when I get them…but I’m just curious!)

***But the real reason I’m posting is concerning questions about choosing a DAC/headphone amp. I was pretty set on picking up the new IFI Zen Dac V2 as it’s small, can function as a dac/headphone amp, usb powered, and also has the ability to run RCA outs to my Crown preamp. So I could use it as a (kind of) portable headphone amp and also a desktop/stereo top dac to my preamp.

From reading this thread I saw the Schiit products talked about a lot. i looked into them and was impressed. Never heard of them before.

Would I be good with the IFI for kind of an all-in-one solution, or would a Modi or Modius be better to use as strictly a console top dac into my Crown preamp for when I’m in front of my stereo…and then get a separate portable dac/headphone amp for when I was to listen but I’m not in front of my stereo? (I don’t know, audioquest dragon, FIIO, etc…not sure)

FWIW I would be running Apple music lossless/HiRes for the streaming listening.

Very curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions and I appreciate any advice!
With a 25W amp I dont think you are going to notice anything about your DAC except that it works or not. The amp and speakers will be what you hear.

The Zen DAC is a nice, versatile device that sounds like it will meet your needs. Its main drawback is that it's not super powerful as head amps go. If you want to avoid "gear creep" its a good choice. Also, if you want to avoid "gear creep" Head Fi is not a good choice 😜

If you're into the Schiitty stuff a Modi/Magni would be a modest upgrade to a Zen DAC IMHO. (I have both). The Magni amp is substantially more powerful. You could use the Modi with the power amp, or with the Magni, depending on circumstances. Getting just the Modi by itself doesn't give as much utility.

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #49,657 of 65,610
Blackweek sale on 125e.
40% off.
Worth buying?
Already own the 80e

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #49,662 of 65,610
It's your money and they're your ears -
the only one who can decide if it's worth the upgrade is you.
Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with both cans, I get the feeling that it's an upgrade that would be a side grade, probably not worth 1000 plus for that.

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #49,663 of 65,610
~ As good / enjoyable as the RS-1x is, it gets better. Thanks to a post by @j0val, I borrowed the G-cushions from the PS2000e and put them on the RS-1x. What a difference! Comfort is outstanding - much better than with the ‘stock’ cushions. And the sound? Same excellent clarity, detail, naturalness. The bonus is that soundstage ‘layering’ is deeper and seamless. Positioning of instruments and voices is precise without creating individual ‘silos’. Voices, always my sonic litmus test, are credible, plausible, lifelike.
~ The G-cushions are a must to get the formidable best from the RS-1x. With them, the RS-1x can take on h/p contenders from ‘bantamweight’ to ‘heavyweight’ - and be pleased with the outcome. I already have backup “G”s ordered for both the PS2000e and RS-1x.
The Grado RS-1x continues to improve and impress with further break-in! Ambience / reverberation extend further, instruments / voices are ‘suspended’ in space without ‘etched’ outlines…🥲. The RS-1x appears to need more break-in time than the PS2000e which has larger drivers. I can be patient…the time is enjoyable. Backup G-cushions arrive tomorrow 😀.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #49,664 of 65,610
…I was pretty set on picking up the new IFI Zen Dac V2 as it’s small, can function as a dac/headphone amp, usb powered, and also has the ability to run RCA outs to my Crown preamp. So I could use it as a (kind of) portable headphone amp and also a desktop/stereo top dac to my preamp.
I don’t think an LCD-2C will work pretty well with a ZEN DAC. Maybe in balanced mode. Another thought: Via USB it will drain a laptops batterie pretty fast, if you think about that usage.
The ZEN DAC is pretty good with Grados (SPL nearly 100 dB), but the LCD-2s (91 dB)?
I went for the ZEN CAN to power the LCD-2 after trying. The IFi micro iDSD is also working pretty well with that Audeze.
The only phones I know being harder to drive are the Susvara (83 dB) and AKG’s K1000 (74 dB - was a nightmare).
Soundwise: Between the LCD-2C and any Grado there are worlds. A completely different sounding.
I am curious what your impressions will be.
Don‘t forget to try movie and audiobook - you will hear!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #49,665 of 65,610
With a 25W amp I dont think you are going to notice anything about your DAC except that it works or not. The amp and speakers will be what you hear.

The Zen DAC is a nice, versatile device that sounds like it will meet your needs. Its main drawback is that it's not super powerful as head amps go. If you want to avoid "gear creep" its a good choice. Also, if you want to avoid "gear creep" Head Fi is not a good choice 😜

If you're into the Schiitty stuff a Modi/Magni would be a modest upgrade to a Zen DAC IMHO. (I have both). The Magni amp is substantially more powerful. You could use the Modi with the power amp, or with the Magni, depending on circumstances. Getting just the Modi by itself doesn't give as much utility.

Thanks for the reply. I’m not too up to speed on DACs so do they have more of an impact on small output headphone amps versus a low/mid/high powered home stereo setup? Or would a DAC higher up the ladder be better suited?

My need for a DAC is really just to be able to stream (via iPhone or iPad Apple Music) through my Crown preamp—>power amp system and listen through headphones via the power amp headphone input. The crown is 100% analog with no usb or digital inputs.

I also want a more mobile/portable option to listen through some good headphones while away from home if I don’t want to just listen on AirPods. So that’s why I was debating on the Zen Dac as a possible all-in-one solution but it sounds like having a separate Dac for home use and a mobile dac for while out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back