Grado Fan Club!
Nov 22, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #49,622 of 65,724
‘Godzilla vs Gradolon’, Scene 1, Take 1:
7AC1C79F-093B-453E-A05F-97E6B19D81E6.jpeg

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #49,623 of 65,724
First post here. My first grado headphone has been the SR60X, but after problems with the right driver I sent them to grado hq in Brooklyn for repair. Got the SR80X off of Amazon to have to fill my grado void and I’m impressed. The sound is really good out of the box, and it seems they have improved the cable, which is much thinner than my big clunky, janky SR60X cable, and comfort is also improved out of the box. I don’t know if I’m imagining this or not, but the pads feel much more bigger and cushion like. Didn’t really notice much difference in sound though, which makes me happy as I loved the SR60X sound. I wonder if they did make updates to the model though as I got my SR60X back in May, and they may have changed the cable because of from complaints from literally everyone.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #49,624 of 65,724
Nothing beats Grado for the price...
Gawd I love em'! I just don't care for the cable...:gs1000smile:
T1se.jpg

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #49,625 of 65,724
First post here. My first grado headphone has been the SR60X, but after problems with the right driver I sent them to grado hq in Brooklyn for repair. Got the SR80X off of Amazon to have to fill my grado void and I’m impressed. The sound is really good out of the box, and it seems they have improved the cable, which is much thinner than my big clunky, janky SR60X cable, and comfort is also improved out of the box. I don’t know if I’m imagining this or not, but the pads feel much more bigger and cushion like. Didn’t really notice much difference in sound though, which makes me happy as I loved the SR60X sound. I wonder if they did make updates to the model though as I got my SR60X back in May, and they may have changed the cable because of from complaints from literally everyone.
Welcome to Head-Fi ! What sort(s) of music do you listen to? What in the SR60X sound appeals to you?

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #49,626 of 65,724
Welcome to Head-Fi ! What sort(s) of music do you listen to? What in the SR60X sound appeals to you?
Nirvana was the band that really effected me and got more interested from that, in terms of audio and music. Then came the Beatles, but as of recent I’ve been listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magik on repeat. I like the subtly of the base, which is not overwhelming but you still know it’s there. This reminds me more of a traditional live music sound. And of course the highs are great in Grado with their bright sound signature, I just feel like grados have a perfect and natural representation of sound.

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #49,627 of 65,724
~ As good / enjoyable as the RS-1x is, it gets better. Thanks to a post by @j0val, I borrowed the G-cushions from the PS2000e and put them on the RS-1x. What a difference! Comfort is outstanding - much better than with the ‘stock’ cushions. And the sound? Same excellent clarity, detail, naturalness. The bonus is that soundstage ‘layering’ is deeper and seamless. Positioning of instruments and voices is precise without creating individual ‘silos’. Voices, always my sonic litmus test, are credible, plausible, lifelike.
~ The G-cushions are a must to get the formidable best from the RS-1x. With them, the RS-1x can take on h/p contenders from ‘bantamweight’ to ‘heavyweight’ - and be pleased with the outcome. I already have backup “G”s ordered for both the PS2000e and RS-1x.5421A0EE-8A38-479E-9A72-D117A21C178F.jpeg
Will definitely have to try out those g cushions on the rs1x!!!

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #49,628 of 65,724
Nov 22, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #49,629 of 65,724
Longtime Grado fan currently enjoying a pair of GH4 headphones with G cushions. Currently using my Lenovo laptop and LG phone to drive them. I'm also considering a pair of RS-1X but first I want to get an amplifier and dac that will be a big step up from my current setup.

It would be great to get some recommendations. I'm open to all suggestions on your favorite amps (ss or tubes) to use with your Grado headphones. I'm planning on using this mostly in a desktop application. I'm willing to consider full size or portable components.

A couple amps that caught my eye so far: Singxer SA-1, Rebel Amp, GS-X mini

Also I'm not sure how much improvement will come from a better dac and if I should prioritize budget differently between spending on amp and spending on dac.

I'm excited to get started on a dedicated headphone system. Thanks for your help!

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #49,630 of 65,724
Longtime Grado fan currently enjoying a pair of GH4 headphones with G cushions. Currently using my Lenovo laptop and LG phone to drive them. I'm also considering a pair of RS-1X but first I want to get an amplifier and dac that will be a big step up from my current setup.

It would be great to get some recommendations. I'm open to all suggestions on your favorite amps (ss or tubes) to use with your Grado headphones. I'm planning on using this mostly in a desktop application. I'm willing to consider full size or portable components.

A couple amps that caught my eye so far: Singxer SA-1, Rebel Amp, GS-X mini

Also I'm not sure how much improvement will come from a better dac and if I should prioritize budget differently between spending on amp and spending on dac.

I'm excited to get started on a dedicated headphone system. Thanks for your help!
Let’s start with $ / £ / € / ¥ ….what is or might be your total budget? With that in hand, you can work down the sound ‘chain’. My thought is try for the best DAC within allotted funds: Do you want natural sound (R2R) or technicolour/detail sound (sigma-delta chip)? After that, the amplifier. Don’t skimp here if you are eyeing the Grado RS-1x: they deserve a great amplifier which in turn is fed a great DAC signal. I have some ideas for you once the money boundaries are set. I don’t want to suggest impossibilities.

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #49,633 of 65,724
Let’s start with $ / £ / € / ¥ ….what is or might be your total budget? With that in hand, you can work down the sound ‘chain’. My thought is try for the best DAC within allotted funds: Do you want natural sound (R2R) or technicolour/detail sound (sigma-delta chip)? After that, the amplifier. Don’t skimp here if you are eyeing the Grado RS-1x: they deserve a great amplifier which in turn is fed a great DAC signal. I have some ideas for you once the money boundaries are set. I don’t want to suggest impossibilities.
Great questions. I'm open to both styles of dac but most curious about R2R. I would also love to hear what type/specific dac you think is a great match for Grado headphones.

I view this as different pricepoints for total combined amp and dac budget. What would the recommendation be at $500, $1000, $2000, $3000? Or something along those lines. I have been a two channel audiophile for most of my life and gone through tons of equipment. Getting excited to have a wonderful headphone system to enjoy. Thanks for your help!

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #49,635 of 65,724
Great questions. I'm open to both styles of dac but most curious about R2R. I would also love to hear what type/specific dac you think is a great match for Grado headphones.

I view this as different pricepoints for total combined amp and dac budget. What would the recommendation be at $500, $1000, $2000, $3000? Or something along those lines. I have been a two channel audiophile for most of my life and gone through tons of equipment. Getting excited to have a wonderful headphone system to enjoy. Thanks for your help!

In the $500 and under range, I recommend:

1. Schiit Asgard 3 ($250) and Modius ($200) - Asgard amp can play anything (5W 16 ohms) and it plays nice with everything I own. The Modius is clean sounding and also has extra balanced outs if you want to try that in the future.

2. Darkvoice ($200) and Modi Multibit ($250) - I have the Darkvoice and it is a great amp (I changed my Tubes), but my SR60e likes it and my SR325X does not. The Modi Multibit is an R2R Dac with great reviews, but a little long in the tooth (I am waiting for Schiit to make a Modi Multibit in a Modius form factor with unison).

3. Drop THX789 ($250 sale) and Schiit Modius ($200) - This is a very "clean" combo - I only like it with some headphones balanced and I don't prefer it single ended with the Grados, but YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back