Grado Fan Club!
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #48,991 of 65,587
IMO, RS1E plays much better with G cush. I run mine that way.
Are you using stock Grado G cushions? (I haven't tried them)

I put G pads on my RS1e and I didn't really care for how it sounded, to me sounded a bit hollow, like there was too much reverb in the mix.

For my ears the best one I've tried is the YAXI S.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #48,992 of 65,587
Are you using stock Grado G cushions? (I haven't tried them)

I put G pads on my RS1e and I didn't really care for how it sounded, to me sounded a bit hollow, like there was too much reverb in the mix.

For my ears the best one I've tried is the YAXI S.
I've tried others, but always found stock G cush sounded best to me.

I use them currently on GH2, HF2 & RS1E. I use stock L cush on GH1, BA hybrids on GS2KE, and stock F on SR325X.

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #48,993 of 65,587
I've tried others, but always found stock G cush sounded best to me.

I use them currently on GH2, HF2 & RS1E. I use stock L cush on GH1, BA hybrids on GS2KE, and stock F on SR325X.
I might have try the stock G then see how they sound.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #48,994 of 65,587
A ex grado dealer is trying to sell theyr old demo models. ps500 and Alessandro music series pro(woodies)
Has offered them 235 USD for the ps500 . But NO.
what are they worth?

Wormsdriver is correct, that is a good deal on the PS500 unless it was it horrible condition. If you decide not to move on them then reach out to him so he can grab them.

I would not sell mine below $300 if I was looking to sell (I am not).

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #48,995 of 65,587
Maybe I will offer them 300.
Hard for Wormsdriver to grab them. They are almost on the north pole

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #48,996 of 65,587
Completely agree with you on the RS1e (it explains why I ended up selling them to buy a RS2e) and the 325e not being a good match with the G Pads.

The only one I disagree is on the GW100. I just couldn't stand how much mid bass these have, and listening to them wired seemed to ease the bass a bit. Even then, I can only use them with eq drying up the midbass region, so it sounds like a traditional Grado
Agreed, I think the GW100 almost has too much bass in wireless mode. It kind of overpowered much of the sound and I much prefer it in its wired configuration which is kinda moot. Its still a fine wireless headphone when you compare it to most other wireless headphones though.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #48,997 of 65,587
I have been on a binge for the last year. On average, probably one new piece every two months. Just constantly testing and comparing. Always looking for that next rush. :smile:

Today I just pulled out my GH2's and plugged them into a recent purchase, the iFi Pro iCAN. It has cool features and a TON of power. Sounded pretty good for an hour.
And then I went back to my SS amp, the Violectric V220. No special features and no EQ. The combo sounds Wonderful! That was the rest of the day and will be all day tomorrow.

Violectric amps really fill out the sound of Grado's beautifully. If you can get a used V220 or V200 for a good price, I would strongly recommend it.:thumbsup:
So while I haven't the ICAN, I enjoy my iDSD Pro DAC/Amp. Thought about adding an ICAN, but you are implying that the V200 may be a better (and cheaper) choice?

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #48,998 of 65,587
He has some interesting takes on sound. The guy is absolutely in love with his EQed Q30(which is fine since that is his preference). The problem is that he EQs one thing to his sound preference and then he listens to everything else not EQed and complains about the base sound. Especially when the base sound of his favorite headphone is not even his personal preference. Not unless there was some sorta magical autoEQ for every headphone he threw on.

Those pokemon headphones just seem too pricy for what they are at the end of the day.
Reviewers who cant make a distinction between what they prefer vs what is quality are beyond useless.

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #48,999 of 65,587
So while I haven't the ICAN, I enjoy my iDSD Pro DAC/Amp. Thought about adding an ICAN, but you are implying that the V200 may be a better (and cheaper) choice?
I have never heard the V200 (stripped down V280), but I LOVE my V220 (stripped down V281). And a used model would be a ton less than the new Pro iCAN ( about $2300.00US. YIKES!!).

But for Grado's you don't need any big power. The features on iFi are fun, but the Violectric house sound is a lot of fun just on its own.

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #49,000 of 65,587
BBC05E10-82D4-4CBF-9566-2BC9E3966122.jpeg
New woodies soon! :)
Maybe November?
The Prestige being already out in X series, Reference soon to come in the X, and Professional series in the distant future, maybe someone should start a dedicated thread for Grado X Series.

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #49,002 of 65,587
Maybe November?
The Prestige being already out in X series, Reference soon to come in the X, and Professional series in the distant future, maybe someone should start a dedicated thread for Grado X Series.
I hope it wasn't the teaser for the pokemon headphone...

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #49,003 of 65,587
More X grados and a new limited edition would be nice :xf_cool:

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #49,004 of 65,587
Pokémon?... Thinking from a purely business angle, there should have been at least one wireless offering in the line. Perhaps then the abomination of the excessively muddy and bass heavy obsession that exploded when Beats headphones appeared would finally have a good sounding alternative... People need to be weaned off slowly...

The aluminium Pokéball looks cool and I'm not even a Pokémon fan (it was a generation too late for me)... But whilst loving the sound of my 60x and Hemp, it's disappointing to see that they went with the nylon wrapped cable. I've already gone through the headache of unwrapping the top half and it has greatly improved my experience of the 60x. But the bottom half is still too microphonic, regularly tapping against my shirt or jacket buttons when walking. I'll probably put that to the knife too... So to have that cable on $300-500 headphones is disappointing...

Looking forward to eventually hearing sound impressions though.
as a lifelong grado and pokemon fan i could not pull the trigger fast enough. 500 for essentially a custom rs1 is a steal imo. i bought the wood with red headband as that seems to be the most iconic amd i havent had a wood grado in years since i sold my rs1i.

if my daily drivers werent black 325 with hp1000 drivers i would have gone for the black aluminum because black alum is awesome.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #49,005 of 65,587
as a lifelong grado and pokemon fan i could not pull the trigger fast enough. 500 for essentially a custom rs1 is a steal imo. i bought the wood with red headband as that seems to be the most iconic amd i havent had a wood grado in years since i sold my rs1i.

if my daily drivers werent black 325 with hp1000 drivers i would have gone for the black aluminum because black alum is awesome.
Why do you think it is an RS1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back