Grado Fan Club!
Oct 15, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #48,978 of 65,587
225 is a good choice. but 325 with leather and alu is nice :wink:
liked my 225e better than the old 325i.

never heard 225x. and only 325x with my right ear

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #48,979 of 65,587
I was already settled on upgrading my SR80x to SR225x. I've asked around and there had been a consensus of a noticeable difference between the two models.

However, I was thinking of probably moving it further down to the SR325x.

But will I really miss anything if I go for the SR225x instead? Or the difference between the two are only subtle that you had to nit-pick to notice? I just wanted to move on with this buying decision.
Maybe this will help?

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #48,980 of 65,587
Pokémon?... Thinking from a purely business angle, there should have been at least one wireless offering in the line. Perhaps then the abomination of the excessively muddy and bass heavy obsession that exploded when Beats headphones appeared would finally have a good sounding alternative... People need to be weaned off slowly...

The aluminium Pokéball looks cool and I'm not even a Pokémon fan (it was a generation too late for me)... But whilst loving the sound of my 60x and Hemp, it's disappointing to see that they went with the nylon wrapped cable. I've already gone through the headache of unwrapping the top half and it has greatly improved my experience of the 60x. But the bottom half is still too microphonic, regularly tapping against my shirt or jacket buttons when walking. I'll probably put that to the knife too... So to have that cable on $300-500 headphones is disappointing...

Looking forward to eventually hearing sound impressions though.

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #48,981 of 65,587
A ex grado dealer is trying to sell theyr old demo models. ps500 and Alessandro music series pro(woodies)
Has offered them 235 USD for the ps500 . But NO.
what are they worth?

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #48,982 of 65,587
A ex grado dealer is trying to sell theyr old demo models. ps500 and Alessandro music series pro(woodies)
what are they worth?

Retail on the ps500e is $595 I believe. Used market is at least above $300.
If you're gonna pass on it, let me know the details, I'll pull the trigger😸

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #48,983 of 65,587
I've seen and read quite a few Grado-bashing reviews, but this one takes the cake. In it he listens to:
  • RS1e: A contentious model because Grado put the 50mm driver in a smaller cup and gave it L pads, making for a rather different (perhaps dull) sound. When I demoed the various models at my local shop, the RS1e struck me as one of the worst.
  • SR325e with G pads: Ok, take the brightest Prestige model and give it G pads to make it the most unbearable listen.
  • GW100 wired: This isn't how you're supposed to use it. Going wired disables the auto-EQ that comes from using it wireless. It's generally agreed that the GW100 doesn't sound very good when you use it wired.
Probably the three worst examples he could've used to judge Grado, and I bet he did it on purpose.

Completely agree with you on the RS1e (it explains why I ended up selling them to buy a RS2e) and the 325e not being a good match with the G Pads.

The only one I disagree is on the GW100. I just couldn't stand how much mid bass these have, and listening to them wired seemed to ease the bass a bit. Even then, I can only use them with eq drying up the midbass region, so it sounds like a traditional Grado

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #48,985 of 65,587
Retail on the ps500e is $595 I believe. Used market is at least above $300.
If you're gonna pass on it, let me know the details, I'll pull the trigger😸
it is the 500 without E

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #48,986 of 65,587
what are they worth?

That's a good deal for a PS500. I have the HF2, basically the same thing. Its a nice headphone, needs a little bass boosting to really shine.

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #48,988 of 65,587
That's a good deal for a PS500. I have the HF2, basically the same thing. Its a nice headphone, needs a little bass boosting to really shine.
Been a long time since I owned either one of these but the hf2 definitely had less bass than ps500 as far as I remember.
I actually had my pair of ps500 modded by covering one of the vent holes behind the driver to decrease the forward mid bass and in turn had the Grado mids come thru better for a more traditional Grado tuning

Oct 15, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #48,989 of 65,587
Still a good price but personally I prefer the e version.

I haven't seen many user lately but from what I remember I'd say anywhere from $250 to maybe $275 for used
Maybe I offer a bit more. they ask for 475 usd(yes Grado costs a lot more in europe)

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #48,990 of 65,587
I've seen and read quite a few Grado-bashing reviews, but this one takes the cake. In it he listens to:
  • RS1e: A contentious model because Grado put the 50mm driver in a smaller cup and gave it L pads, making for a rather different (perhaps dull) sound. When I demoed the various models at my local shop, the RS1e struck me as one of the worst.
  • SR325e with G pads: Ok, take the brightest Prestige model and give it G pads to make it the most unbearable listen.
  • GW100 wired: This isn't how you're supposed to use it. Going wired disables the auto-EQ that comes from using it wireless. It's generally agreed that the GW100 doesn't sound very good when you use it wired.
Probably the three worst examples he could've used to judge Grado, and I bet he did it on purpose.
He has some interesting takes on sound. The guy is absolutely in love with his EQed Q30(which is fine since that is his preference). The problem is that he EQs one thing to his sound preference and then he listens to everything else not EQed and complains about the base sound. Especially when the base sound of his favorite headphone is not even his personal preference. Not unless there was some sorta magical autoEQ for every headphone he threw on.

Those pokemon headphones just seem too pricy for what they are at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

• G0rt
Back