Grado Fan Club!
Mar 19, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #46,291 of 66,264
I had to watch the video twice to see if I was missing something, because no the **** it does not LMAO. This is about toxicity in comments and social media, something YouTube has had a hard time with for ages. He's talking about ignorant know-it-alls who pick fights on the internet and who act like experts because they read some stuff online versus people with hands-on experience. There is absolutely nothing about "cancel culture" in this, and the only kind of person who would bring that up is someone with a political axe to grind, which does not have a place in a thread about headphones. So let's move on.
Agreed.

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #46,292 of 66,264
I don't wish to stir, only to be a pedant! disclosure: I work for a national metrology lab, and we worry about stuff like this a lot. Logically, if you can hear it, you *should* be able to measure it. Fundamentally, measurement differences have to be consistent and repeatable by independent testers for the data to be valid and true. Measurement involves the use of both hardware devices and physcho-acoustics.

If we cannot measure any differences, then there are two possibilities: it's not "real" (though we can try to measure physcho-acoustics - you would be very surprised who our clients have been over the years, but it's typically a much higher uncertainty compared to lab physical measurements), or that the measurement device is not sensitive enough. In my experience, it's never been a sufficiently critical social problem that ever warranted much research beyond the phsychological elements, and again in my experience, the latter are massively unreliable compared to hardware. As a bit of context, whether you coil your analogue cables or keep them straight are testing the EM limits of detection of commercial labs. Now pad rolling....:L3000:

Happy listening!
You forget that audiophiles have superhuman hearing, and since your measurement tools are made by humans, they will fail to hear what audiophiles hear.

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #46,293 of 66,264
You forget that audiophiles have superhuman hearing, and since your measurement tools are made by humans, they will fail to hear what audiophiles hear.

Do you have so little self-esteem and so little useful things to do that you need to belittle people who do hear a difference of sound in two cables? I mean really, did you see anyone here mock the snake oil callers? Why all the aggression? I just don't get it.

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #46,294 of 66,264
I am so angry at all of you.

In my core.

A fire of rage burns within me.

My browser now has multiple tabs going at any one time looking on eBay, on Craigslist, on Reddit, the for sale forums here, just seeing what kind of deals on hard-to-find Grados there are. In other tabs, reviews and impressions so I can decide which ones specifically to go for.

This isn't fair. A month ago, I was happy. I liked my Beyers, and Grado was a brand that just sat "over there" that looked really cool but wasn't for me. Now I'm falling irreversibly down the rabbit hole.

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #46,295 of 66,264
PREACH!!!!!!

A good reviewer shouldn't show their hand too much about their tastes. They should reveal facts about the thing they're reviewing.
FWIW: Just a humble opinion: it is all about trust and reliability. A good reviewer for me is someone who is objective with objective fact but subjective whether he/she likes the music/stuff. When I have been familiar with that opinion and taste in general, I can make my judgement in relation to that. Previously I bought music based on a reviewer who absolutely did not share my taste. But what he delivered was genuine.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #46,296 of 66,264
I am so angry at all of you.

In my core.

A fire of rage burns within me.

My browser now has multiple tabs going at any one time looking on eBay, on Craigslist, on Reddit, the for sale forums here, just seeing what kind of deals on hard-to-find Grados there are. In other tabs, reviews and impressions so I can decide which ones specifically to go for.

This isn't fair. A month ago, I was happy. I liked my Beyers, and Grado was a brand that just sat "over there" that looked really cool but wasn't for me. Now I'm falling irreversibly down the rabbit hole.
Lol. Know what you're saying...I have 4 Grado. But always on the look out for a deal. Ebay .uk , Amazon. Hard to get here in .uk . But today I see on ebay UK a set of Sr325 great price about £135.
Looks like already gone ...........

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #46,299 of 66,264
Lol. Know what you're saying...I have 4 Grado. But always on the look out for a deal. Ebay .uk , Amazon. Hard to get here in .uk . But today I see on ebay UK a set of Sr325 great price about £135.
Looks like already gone ...........
I almost want one from every line. I have a Hemp, so next maybe an SR80e, an RS1/2, one of the GH...

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #46,302 of 66,264
I almost want one from every line. I have a Hemp, so next maybe an SR80e, an RS1/2, one of the GH...

You gotta have a basic Grado, a 60, 80, or 125, for basic stuff like boring work calls and and listening to the radio between boring work calls.

You gotta have all of the limited editions that you can get your hands on because duh limited editions.

You gotta have at least one 225, 325, RS1, or RS2 variant to save wear and tear on all your limited editions.

At least one pairing of an old school model and it's current 'e' version so you can wax poetically about how they've evolved.

And at least one bigger model with native G cushions.

That's a good start anyway.

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #46,303 of 66,264
You gotta have a basic Grado, a 60, 80, or 125, for basic stuff like boring work calls and and listening to the radio between boring work calls.

You gotta have all of the limited editions that you can get your hands on because duh limited editions.

You gotta have at least one 225, 325, RS1, or RS2 variant to save wear and tear on all your limited editions.

At least one pairing of an old school model and it's current 'e' version so you can wax poetically about how they've evolved.

And at least one bigger model with native G cushions.

That's a good start anyway.
Going off of this, I'd want the sr80e with Geekria pads for kind of my basic needs. Probably the RS1e on top of that. Then good lord which of the GS models???

GRADO WHY ARE YOU SO DIFFICULT

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #46,304 of 66,264
Just listened to it again last night. How good is that SR60e with Geekria donut pads and a Dragonfly black! Smooth and balanced mids and bass with those ear-tickling treble details. If this was the only Grado i could have i would still be satisfied.

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #46,305 of 66,264
Going off of this, I'd want the sr80e with Geekria pads for kind of my basic needs. Probably the RS1e on top of that. Then good lord which of the GS models???

GRADO WHY ARE YOU SO DIFFICULT
They do know how to cater to the obsessiveness that pervades this hobby. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back