Grado Fan Club!
Sep 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #4,546 of 65,714
Quote:

I haven't heard the MS1 but my guess would be the 225 by a big margin,keep in mind that the PS500 have a roled off treble wich makes them very unGrado like,wich makes them a great match for a bright sounding system,hope this helps

I would disagree, unless my pair of SR225i is just vastly different than everyone else's - which might be possible... I actually prefer the SR125i over the SR225i. The SR225i is almost the opposite of the PS500, in my experience, because the SR225i's lows and mids sound less forward than the lower models, but the highs do not. This makes my ~6 month used pair of SR225i sound unnaturally forward in the highs with a biting sibilance, compared to my SR125i whose highs are just slightly smoother but most importantly are equally as forward as the lower frequencies - making the SR125i a more balanced sounding headphone to me.

Quote:
Hi stacker,

Can you please let me know, which HP (MS1, SR60/80/125/225/325) has the warm sound as near as PS500?

Thank you.

I recently side-by-side tested ALL the headphones you just listed, so I think I can help. Of the headphones you listed, the MS1i has the warmest sound signature, no doubt. Followed by the SR125i, which was actually my favorite, but that's because I like my treble and the MS1i rolls off the treble a bit more than I'd like. But to my ears, no doubt the MS1i was the darkest and warmest of these phones - relatively, mind you!

Now the PS500 I did try a couple months back, and I thought it had over-exaggerated bass and a cramped soundstage (compared to RS1i). Its highs are nice, not as rolled off as I had expected to hear, and the overall tonality is nice. The bass is really pretty nice sounding if you like a thick sound. But I enjoyed the more nimble, airier, and crisp approach of the RS1i.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #4,547 of 65,714
Quote:

I would disagree, unless my pair of SR225i is just vastly different than everyone else's - which might be possible... I actually prefer the SR125i over the SR225i. The SR225i is almost the opposite of the PS500, in my experience, because the SR225i's lows and mids sound less forward than the lower models, but the highs do not. This makes my ~6 month used pair of SR225i sound unnaturally forward in the highs with a biting sibilance, compared to my SR125i whose highs are just slightly smoother but most importantly are equally as forward as the lower frequencies - making the SR125i a more balanced sounding headphone to me.

I recently side-by-side tested ALL the headphones you just listed, so I think I can help. Of the headphones you listed, the MS1i has the warmest sound signature, no doubt. Followed by the SR125i, which was actually my favorite, but that's because I like my treble and the MS1i rolls off the treble a bit more than I'd like. But to my ears, no doubt the MS1i was the darkest and warmest of these phones - relatively, mind you!

Now the PS500 I did try a couple months back, and I thought it had over-exaggerated bass and a cramped soundstage (compared to RS1i). Its highs are nice, not as rolled off as I had expected to hear, and the overall tonality is nice. The bass is really pretty nice sounding if you like a thick sound. But I enjoyed the more nimble, airier, and crisp approach of the RS1i.

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough,what i ment was,that they're is still a big difference with the way the SR225i's sound compare the PS500's.

About the RS1i's having a less cramped sounstage than the PS500's,i believe it's the other way around,i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #4,548 of 65,714
Quote:

Thank for the confirmation. I will buy an MS1 :)

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #4,549 of 65,714
Quote:
^ Why did you give up on the 325i?

I have a 80i and really like it. Got a new 325i and it's just too bright, after a 48 hours break in it got much better (and I don't think it's a "placebo effect") but it's still fatiguing in some cases. Unfortunatly I couldn't try the PS500 is it warmer than the sr325?

Yeah but that brightness becomes synergy with flat pads :p I've just rediscovered my SR325i with those and I really love the combo, it sounds much fuller and more balanced (less U-shaped, which is how I felt the SR325i was when coming from a HP-1); the spark is still there but tamed a little. I'll be leaving it this way for a while, I'm becoming more and more aware of how I want my Grados to sound.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4,550 of 65,714
Quote:

Yeah but that brightness becomes synergy with flat pads :p I've just rediscovered my SR325i with those and I really love the combo, it sounds much fuller and more balanced (less U-shaped, which is how I felt the SR325i was when coming from a HP-1); the spark is still there but tamed a little. I'll be leaving it this way for a while, I'm becoming more and more aware of how I want my Grados to sound.

Yes!,you just wrote what i believe to be THE most important word,''synergy'',that's what it's all about,it's not only a question of how much you spend on your gear,price is a factor of course,but i'll take a $1000 well balanced sound system,over a $3000 set up that's just been thrown together,any day.

Sorry for rambling on like that,but whenever i read a smart post,with that all important word,it inspires me.

Carry on!

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #4,551 of 65,714
Hey guys, been following this thread for a couple of months and would appreciate some of your input.

A bit of knowledge about me.  I don't pretend to know much about DACs or Amps.  In fact I would say I know very little.  I love headphones, however, and haven't owned a pair of speakers in the past 10 years.

I currently have a pair of PS500s (using the L-Cush instead of the included G-Cush for larger soundstage/comfort) with a Audio Engine D1 connected via Toslink/USB to my PC.  The PS500s were my first jump into the Grado line and I am very pleased with them.  I mainly listen to 90s+ rock, alternative, and also use them a lot for gaming and watching TV shows and movies off my PC.  I travel a lot for work and have accumulated a decent amount of Amazon gift certificates so looking to upgrade again. 

My old setup was a pair of ATH-M50s with a FiiO E10 and the Grado/D1 combo has been quite a bit of an improvement over them.  Hopefully looking for another jump in performance with my next purchase.

Wondering what the next step would be in upgrading, whether I should invest in a dedicated amp, a better DAC, a pair of PS1000s, or all 3 haha?

Another thing that caught my interest was that the PS1000 sound was designed with the G-Cush as opposed to the PS500 with the L-Cush.  Since as mentioned before that I prefer the G-Cush over the L-Cush this has been another factor I've been intrigued about.

I've read on here that the PS1000 is not forgiving on certain setups and the PC is my only source so if recommending a DAC or Amp it has to be PC compatible - again I have very limited knowledge about them so I don't know if there's certain ones that can't be hooked up to a desktop PC.

Thanks all for any input.  I have really enjoyed reading everyones' opinions so far.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #4,552 of 65,714
Quote:
Hey guys, been following this thread for a couple of months and would appreciate some of your input.

A bit of knowledge about me.  I don't pretend to know much about DACs or Amps.  In fact I would say I know very little.  I love headphones, however, and haven't owned a pair of speakers in the past 10 years.

I currently have a pair of PS500s (using the L-Cush instead of the included G-Cush for larger soundstage/comfort) with a Audio Engine D1 connected via Toslink/USB to my PC.  The PS500s were my first jump into the Grado line and I am very pleased with them.  I mainly listen to 90s+ rock, alternative, and also use them a lot for gaming and watching TV shows and movies off my PC.  I travel a lot for work and have accumulated a decent amount of Amazon gift certificates so looking to upgrade again. 

My old setup was a pair of ATH-M50s with a FiiO E10 and the Grado/D1 combo has been quite a bit of an improvement over them.  Hopefully looking for another jump in performance with my next purchase.

Wondering what the next step would be in upgrading, whether I should invest in a dedicated amp, a better DAC, a pair of PS1000s, or all 3 haha?

Another thing that caught my interest was that the PS1000 sound was designed with the G-Cush as opposed to the PS500 with the L-Cush.  Since as mentioned before that I prefer the G-Cush over the L-Cush this has been another factor I've been intrigued about.

I've read on here that the PS1000 is not forgiving on certain setups and the PC is my only source so if recommending a DAC or Amp it has to be PC compatible - again I have very limited knowledge about them so I don't know if there's certain ones that can't be hooked up to a desktop PC.

Thanks all for any input.  I have really enjoyed reading everyones' opinions so far.

You might want to post on a PS1000 thread to get more specific impressions.  The 500's were a little too mid-bassy for me so I stuck with the 325i's.  I, too, am interested in the PS1000's but they're pretty pricey.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #4,554 of 65,714
Quote:

I love hearing about people who are using the Audioengine D1...I truly believe this is an amazing bargain as a DAC, and the fact that it has the headamp built in is just a bonus. I love this little piece and even if/when I uprgrade my setup I doubt I'll touch my D1...the fact that you also have the PS500s is even more awesome....that's a great little set up you have, my friend! Of course, Im entirely biased since it's the same gear I have haha.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #4,555 of 65,714
Quote:
Generally speaking the 600 dollar range is where diminishing returns really set in for headphones - most anything more is just preferenece, not performance.

Agree 100%.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #4,556 of 65,714
My HP-1 has just arrived, it's in great shape. Photos soon.

I suppose the headband is suitable to bending to adjust to my big head, right?

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #4,557 of 65,714
Quote:
Generally speaking the 600 dollar range is where diminishing returns really set in for headphones - most anything more is just preferenece, not performance.

Just like Focker,i too agree with this statement,when you get to about  $600,it's anybody's game,a lot of peoples prefer the sound of the PS500 or RS1i over the much more expensive GS/PS1000.

Speaking of the PS1000,to answer a previous post,no,the PS1000,are not forgiving,these things are forensic,they definately won't make chicken soup,with chicken poop. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #4,558 of 65,714
I think it's all about which performance you prefer.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #4,559 of 65,714
Here are my just about finished SR60's. Mods include HeadPhoneLounge Vibro Mahogany wood cups,saddle brown Manta leather headband, Symphones Magnum drivers, and Grado L-Cush ear pads. I'm in the process of ordering some new Silverray cable with a Viablue T6 plug, MDPC-X copper brown sheathing and a wood y-connect from HeadPhoneLounge to finish it off. I guess at this point, it doesn't have much Grado left. They sure do sound fantastic though!

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #4,560 of 65,714
I just got my 325is in the mail and...I can't use them.  I need to get an adapter to convert the plug to work with a 3.5mm jack.  I'm considering it a top priority to recable them with a detachable cable so I don't accidentally break them, any advice?  I figure I might as well go silver if I'm recabling anyways.  That 60i mod thread said it was only like $50.  Speaking of...I can't find that thread for the life of me, can anyone link it?
They came with a pair of TTVJ flats and, while I like those better than the stock pads, they're still not the comfiest.  Think I should go try jumbos?  Where might I find such a pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back