Grado Fan Club!
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #44,748 of 65,629
Listening comparison of 4 generations of Grado headphones.

Participants: Grado RS2 (old Reference Series), GS1000i (Statment Series i), the RS2e (Reference Series e) and the GH2 (Heritage Series). All have at least 200 hours burn-in time.

Test system: McIntosh MCD 500 CD player, McIntosh C22 tube amplifier (from 1967, restored) and McIntosh MC225 tube power amplifier (from 1964, restored).

Test track: Joe Beard feat. Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - Feets out in the hallway on Blues Masters - Various Artists (xrcd24).

Preliminary note: The following test result is purely subjective and refers to the differences between the 4 headphones and says nothing about the general quality of the individual headphones. The test system was a warm and full sounding tube amplifier chain with strong midrange reproduction. With brighter and leaner sounding amplifiers, the result can be quite different.

Rating: 1-3 (3 = best)
old RS2 (not RS2i)
GS1000i
RS2e
GH2
Treble energy
2,5​
2​
1​
Midrange quality
2​
1​
2,5​
Bass quantity
1​
2​
2,5​
Transparence
2​
2​
1​
Spaciousness
2,5​
2​
1​
total

To my surprise, the GH2 is far behind after the comparison, although it is a very good sounding headphone and has the most powerful bass. On brighter sounding systems certainly a dream. The GS1000i has such a much thinner and more recessed midrange than the others that I don't like it at all anymore, even though it was my only Grado for many years. The old RS2 is my personal favourite. It sounds the thinnest of all, but it has enormous transparency and bass precision. Ideal for fuller sounding systems. But to my surprise, the winner is also the RS2e, because it has both, very good bass power, a transparent sound and, after the GS3000e, the best midrange I have heard in a Grado so far.

After the i series, Grado has changed the tuning towards more bass power and a fuller midrange, so that the treble has moved more into the background. I can't say whether this was done because it has become a trend in headphones since the emergence of brands like Audeze or whether it is related to the death of the head of development at Grado before the introduction of the e series (as I read). But the tendency towards darker tuning of the Grados is a common feature of all series. I sometimes miss the old, brighter Grado sound. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #44,749 of 65,629
Test system: McIntosh MCD 500 CD player, McIntosh C22 tube amplifier (from 1967, restored) and McIntosh MC225 tube power amplifier (from 1964, restored).
Is that not a high impedance headphone amp?

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #44,751 of 65,629
It is no headphone amp, it is a speaker amp. I put the grados on via a speaker control box, see https://www.btechavmounts.com/product-range/products/bt911 . It sounds wonderful, better than every headphone amp I have heard so far and has less noise/hum.

Hi.
I agree with your appreciations regarding the grados that I have had that they are gh2, gs1000i and gs3000e, the latter does not enter your comparison.
Personally, although it is less technical, I prefer gh2 over gs1000i. Gh2 is doing very well in rock and gs1000i I see it a little in no man's land, it is not that good in rock nor is it in classical. I see the mids very recessed, with l-cush they improve a lot, they lose some scene and detail but they gain body in the media and in rock they go quite well like that.
I am struck by the rs2e as you describe it but having the gs3000e and using the gs1000i with the l-cush, I cover many styles well. My gs3000e have about 100 hours of use and are getting better by the minute. Maybe I would like something more punchy low and mid bass, but for getting too purist ... they sound great.
With my feliks audio expressive mark 2 tube amp they are very musical and with my ifi micro idsd signature something more analytical.
I have ordered a couple of hybrid merino ear cushions that may suit you very well.
Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #44,753 of 65,629
I’ve been a big fan of the harman target for a long time now. Almost every headphone purchase was compared with the target, eventaully hitting the exact mark with the AKG K371- it follows the target nearly perfect.

I want to try something new. Grado has always fascinated me, in their ethos, their story, and just how they seem to go against the grain of everything else in the audio world. Watching Dankpods video on the SR60 sent me over the edge. With that said, I just purchased a pair of SR80e on amazon, and I’m excited to listen to them on Monday! I’ll keep yall updated

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #44,754 of 65,629
I want to try something new. Grado has always fascinated me, in their ethos, their story, and just how they seem to go against the grain of everything else in the audio world. Watching Dankpods video on the SR60 sent me over the edge. With that said, I just purchased a pair of SR80e on amazon, and I’m excited to listen to them on Monday! I’ll keep yall updated

I've always wanted to get an entry level SR to have and not worry about keeping the metal grills painted with a Sharpy Paint Pen, nor gently polishing the wood (not THAT kind...) Plus, the SR60 & 80 repeatedly get ranked some of the best cans below $100USD. Maybe next paycheck lol

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #44,755 of 65,629
I've always wanted to get an entry level SR to have and not worry about keeping the metal grills painted with a Sharpy Paint Pen, nor gently polishing the wood (not THAT kind...) Plus, the SR60 & 80 repeatedly get ranked some of the best cans below $100USD. Maybe next paycheck lol
My RS2e are only a month or so old but I've been busy with a black marker myself. The paint on the grills, I find, is easily chipped. I've also applied leather protector to the headband as that seems easily marked or stained. The wood is fine at least😉

They need a little mollycoddling, a bit of love and protection. Not a problem as I love them very much! 😋

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #44,756 of 65,629
My RS2e are only a month or so old but I've been busy with a black marker myself. The paint on the grills, I find, is easily chipped. I've also applied leather protector to the headband as that seems easily marked or stained. The wood is fine at least😉

They need a little mollycoddling, a bit of love and protection. Not a problem as I love them very much! 😋

Oh yeah, I once agreed to go with my wife to Michael's on the false pretense that I was just interested in shopping with her. In reality, I needed a paint pen to repaint the grills on the GH2 every 2 months or so :D :D Don't tell her or I might have to sell a pair

But yeah, as cliche as it sounds, it is a labor of love. Blow any dust or debris that might have gotten into the back of the headphone. Very gently wipe the grill with a soft cloth/rag & maybe some diluted rubbing alcohol to remove skin oil. Wait a couple minutes to dry completely and re-paint. Wait 5 or so for the paint to dry, hold the heaphone in a different light to see missed spots and re-apply as need. After the paint is completely dry, very gently wipe the wood part of the can with another (clean) rag with a tiny dab of mineral oil and let soak in. Damn cocobolo loves to dry out over time and I'm guessing there might be a better conditioner to use on them but even as the color gets a darker shade of brown-red, looking at them sheen after a clean and polish is very satisfying!

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #44,757 of 65,629
So.... Is the Hemp gonna be a limited release? Do i need to buy a second backup pair? I'm not sure i can live without them

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #44,759 of 65,629
Nice impression VinMAC. Also nice reminder that sound character of system matter if some headphone are brighter and vica versa.

Thanks. Indeed the influence of your used system is imo very strong to the sound you get out of the headphone in the end. Wenn I have tested the RS2e in the shop bevor buying I heard it with an Lehmann Headphone amp and it sounded much brighter.

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #44,760 of 65,629
So.... Is the Hemp gonna be a limited release? Do i need to buy a second backup pair? I'm not sure i can live without them
Agh the dreaded FOMO! You could look at it in an alternative way, by the time the hemps die, Grado will have released something even better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back