Grado Fan Club!
Sep 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #4,321 of 65,629
Quote:
I received my powder coated metal gimbals and rodblocks from Martin Custom Audio yesterday  they are a fantastic upgrade in quality from the stock Grado parts  Very easy to install. I got a new metal headband insert and a headphone lounge headband, so that i could keep the original Grado headphone assembly intact, and just switch the cups over to the new one. Here they are with my Objective2 amp.

That's beautiful!!!

BTW, am I the only one who think the Martin Custom Audio site is the most annoying site ever?
http://www.martincustomaudio.com/#!/

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #4,322 of 65,629
Quote:
This was a cool story, but incredibly painful read due to the innumerable punctuation errors.
frown.gif

Interesting. So is this meant to imply they're potentially re-badging something? Or just similar? (Again, honest question).
Welcome to the party!
beerchug.gif

AFAIK the differences should be similar - the RS-1 is an improvement due to having a larger housing and the RS-1 certainly has better build quality (more metal construction). Whether or not it's worth it is up to you - there's also a very common long-running debate between the SR-325 and the RS-2 and in a lot of "value" circles it pans out that the SR-325 is better at $295 than the RS-2 at $495, and if you buy that the RS-2 is "99% of the RS-1" then what does that tell you? That the SR-325 is the best thing under the sun? Perhaps. Personally I went with the RS-1 and I'm not looking back; there's no gnawing "what if" about that "extra 5%" or "extra 10%" that the RS-1 might have over the RS-2 or SR-325. It's more piece of mind than anything else imho. They do measure slightly different as well.

Agreed, I didn't want to buy a 225i then think, what does the 325i sound like and then want to know what the rs1i sounds like so I saved myself the time (and money) and got the RS1i. The only place left to go now is to find these mysterious planer headphones I keep hearing of.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #4,323 of 65,629
Sep 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4,325 of 65,629
Very nice looking!!!

That headband looks SUPER COMFY too!! I didnt know Martin Custom Audio sold different metal headband inserts. I guess I will have to look closer. :gs1000smile:
I would love to have one of his headbands but I am not sure I want to break my original headband apart to install it. I like the sounds of all new parts. 

sweet!
Where did you get the new headband insert?
Also curious if the MCA rodbocks are marked for L/R.
ENJOY!

The headband insert is from Martin, he sends it flat and you bend it yourself (it was easy and took 5 minutes). I wanted all new parts, so it was worth it. You might have to email him about the insert.

As far as left and right, they arent marked, just always put the rods towards the back of your head, just like the stock headset!

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4,326 of 65,629
Quote:

I dread going there. Its almost to the point where I dont go there because of it. It usually winds up with me be frustrated and leaving, instead of looking at the beautiful works of art. 

lol, I know, right? Honestly, can he not find a way to simplify that mess? lol

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4,328 of 65,629
Quote:
I received my powder coated metal gimbals and rodblocks from Martin Custom Audio yesterday  they are a fantastic upgrade in quality from the stock Grado parts  Very easy to install. I got a new metal headband insert and a headphone lounge headband, so that i could keep the original Grado headphone assembly intact, and just switch the cups over to the new one. Here they are with my Objective2 amp.

Is that the stock headband?  If not, where did you get it?

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4,331 of 65,629
Agreed, I didn't want to buy a 225i then think, what does the 325i sound like and then want to know what the rs1i sounds like so I saved myself the time (and money) and got the RS1i. The only place left to go now is to find these mysterious planer headphones I keep hearing of.

There's actually a variety of headphones that can fit into the realm of planar radiators - planar magnetics (also called orthodynamics), electrets (rare nowadays), and electrostatics. They will have similar dipole radiation. I like ESPs, specifically the American made Koss models. Go through my profile to find my write-up on the RS-1 next to such an ESP. :xf_eek:

But you'll want the SR-225 to get the true experience right?  :wink:

Correct. But he said "starter" so I assumed upgrade was par for the course and that "do it once and do it right" probably wasn't part of that discussion. I really think L-Cush is how it should be heard, but if you only have around $100, get the SR-60 and save your wallet. :)

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #4,332 of 65,629
Quote:
Correct. But he said "starter" so I assumed upgrade was par for the course and that "do it once and do it right" probably wasn't part of that discussion. I really think L-Cush is how it should be heard

Fair enough, but there is something to be said for doing it right the first time.  As for me - per an excellent rec I got once - I've got my sights set on an SR-225.

Quote:
save your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Uh, we don't take kindly to that way a thinkin' here round these parts...

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #4,333 of 65,629
Actually I'd recommend him the MS1i on a budget.  IMO it's better than both the SR60i or the SR80i.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #4,334 of 65,629
Heard another sub-$100 headphone recently...the new Philips Citiscape Downtown sealed cans...Tyll has them on his Wall of Fame. The MSRP is the same as the SR80s at $99 but street price is around $79. How anyone could possibly choose these headphones over the Grado 80s (or 60s) is beyond me...I mean, it's not even close. The Philips look nice, they're comfortable, and they seal well. They are very polite headphones. But there wasn't a single area where I felt they even competed with the Grados in terms of sonics. They are more comfortable out of the box...that's about it. My lady friend likes them just fine, which I'm glad about since they were a gift to her, but for anyone who places sound quality above comfort, the Grados will wipe their rear with them. I'm not meaning to hack on the Philips, but to praise the 80s!!! lol I have a handful of sub-$100 phones and the Grados destroy every one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back