Grado Fan Club!
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #41,777 of 65,563
Hi everybody!

PS Audio's website currently features the first part of a two part interview with John Grado (in issue 115 of their online magazine called "Copper") titled, appropriately enough, "John Grado of Grado Labs, Part One".

Lots of interesting info, although the focus of this 'part one' interview seems to be more centered around the phonographic cartridge end of the product line of Grado Labs. Looking forward to reading 'part two'.... :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #41,778 of 65,563
I was very hesitant to click on that video because of the cheesy click-bait title.. Jeesh when will people learn?

But on the other hand, I'm very interested in the headphone. Mostly because it's really beautiful, because I've never owned / listened to a Grado with the "flat pad", and because it's a new Grado model (duh.)

As @Shane D will gladly attest to, the GH-2 is such a well rounded, amazingly balanced can I doubt this one will be better but I'm seriously considering it. After the initial planar novelty wore off, the LCD-2 Closed isn't too exciting compared to the GH-2 and I want another wooden open back can! I just don't think you can truly get rid of the closed back resonance vs a true open back (wood is a huge plus) headphone. Which is another reason I am curious about the Senn HD820! For that price, it's surely out of my budget. But at the same time: for that price: I'd assume Senneheiser did lots of work to make it sound not so "closed", right?

The HD820 is way too rich for my blood. However I did pick up the HD660's last week. Nice sound, but unforgiving on lesser works.

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #41,779 of 65,563
I just bumped up to 325e from MS1, and feel the 325e keeps some of the smoothness of the Alessandro versions.

But about the GH4 vs 325e, can you flesh out the improvement over the 325e? I can't do anything too soon, but the RS1 seems the next step, but don't know much about the GH series. Thanks!
The Heritage (GH) series is a limited edition with the trial of different woods- in case of GH3 and GH4 it’s Norwegian pine. They are limited to 1.000.
For me the advantage of the GH4 over the 325e is especially the resolution which is finer, acoustic instruments sound more natural and the soundstage is wider. They perform with all my genres- pop, rock, jazz and classics.
The 325e are great but the GH4 is a step above. Honestly I never heard the RS1 or RS2 so I can‘t compare them to the GH4

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #41,780 of 65,563
I have both GH2 and GH4 phones and love both. To my 71 year old ears they sound the same, both wonderful. Through my Ampsandsound Kenzie amp they
sound very close to my PS2000e's when playing Everybody's Talking by the Tedeschi-Trucks Band, a very complex full piece of music...
I listen to either GH2 or GH4 because they are lighter and don't compromise the music much at all. If you already have GH4's the GH2's will be beautiful jewelry and just fine if your budget allows :)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #41,782 of 65,563
I almost answered this in my prior post, but I am a very slow typist (2 fingers) and was tired of typing... With the PS2Ke, the bass. is slightly but naturally more
fleshed out, and the treble is slightly airier and extended, also naturally. The GH2 and GH4 sound identical to the PS2Ke through the midrange. I do not do measurements but my ears are quite reliable when ABing, and that is how you are able to compare them.
Doug

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #41,783 of 65,563
I almost answered this in my prior post, but I am a very slow typist (2 fingers) and was tired of typing... With the PS2Ke, the bass. is slightly but naturally more
fleshed out, and the treble is slightly airier and extended, also naturally. The GH2 and GH4 sound identical to the PS2Ke through the midrange. I do not do measurements but my ears are quite reliable when ABing, and that is how you are able to compare them.
Doug

Thanks for your impressions. It's very helpful. By chance, do you have any experience with the GS3000e? I'm starting to go back deep into the Grado rabbit hole.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #41,786 of 65,563
Just got my Hemp LE Grado today! I used to have the S80, so I'm excited to listen to these.

Awesome. Do you have any other Grado models to compare & contrast with? I'm tempted just because the pattern is beautiful and the meme, tbh lol.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #41,787 of 65,563
Awesome. Do you have any other Grado models to compare & contrast with? I'm tempted just because the pattern is beautiful and the meme, tbh lol.

Unfortunately I don't have a Grado with me anymore, but one of my coworkers has the SR325. I might borrow his to compare to in the future. So far, it's def a fun headphone to listen to without any glaring flaws. I'm connected using Schiit Asgard and grace sdac.

Jul 15, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #41,788 of 65,563
I had it for a week, compared it to the SR325is and HF-3, both are brighter and with less low end. Compared to the PS500 it has a more controlled low end, and overall clearer. And compared to the PS2000e it's similar but with less detail. I don't have any of the GH series to compare, those seem to have similar tuning based on what I have read.

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #41,789 of 65,563
Thanks for your impressions. It's very helpful. By chance, do you have any experience with the GS3000e? I'm starting to go back deep into the Grado rabbit hole.
I have had my GS3000e's for a good couple of months now with well over 300 hours on them. They are amazing headphones, most probably the best headphones I ever owned (and I have owned and tested quite a few since 2012) both for sound and comfort. And the cocobola wood and black leather headband look and feel amazing. I use them with my Chord Hugo 2. Hopefully one day I will own a Chord Dave and maybe hear them at their maximum best ! (assuming the Dave beats the Hugo 2 synergy with the GS3000e's).

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #41,790 of 65,563
I wish I could afford to buy the GS3Ke's on reputation but I can't, and have never heard any of the GS series...
Doug
Your missing out big time Douger333 if you haven't tried the GS3000e's yet !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back