Grado Fan Club!
Aug 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #4,127 of 66,258
Aug 16, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #4,128 of 66,258
Quote:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about...

but...

Grados rule. 

That is all. 

So true... but... many have never "heard" them driven by a well matched set up - so - they've never really heard them.  It's a fallacy that they have a small sound stage and strident / harsh highs - all of that disappears when they're properly driven by a very low impedance, high current output amp.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #4,129 of 66,258
dude... there's a lot of people here who have heard them from great amps that have low output impedance and high current and can talk intelligently about them (good and bad).

Grados flat out have boosted highs compared to a lot of other headphones. And those boosted highs (with multiple peaks and valleys in the region),  can sound harsh with some vocals or instruments.  And the soundstage is small in size for the non GS and PS1000 models. it has layers and good imaging on the RS1 and PS500, but it's not a large soundstage compared to a lot of other open headphones.

suggesting, as you have here and in other threads, that the people who are comparing Grados to Stax, HD800, LCD3, etc, etc, etc simply don't have a good enough amp for the Grados to shine is a really poor assumption. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #4,130 of 66,258
Quote:

So true... but... many have never "heard" them driven by a well matched set up - so - they've never really heard them.  It's a fallacy that they have a small sound stage and strident / harsh highs - all of that disappears when they're properly driven by a very low impedance, high current output amp.

Does this count as an good amp, I just got one but haven't had a chance to use my Grados on it yet. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v471_black__u/ (I needed something to power some speakers anyway).

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #4,131 of 66,258
Quote:
Does this count as an good amp, I just got one but haven't had a chance to use my Grados on it yet. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v471_black__u/ (I needed something to power some speakers anyway).

I really don't know, how it's headphone out jack will mate with Grados, or any other phones.  I don't see much regarding the specs for the headphone jack.  You may have to try it and see.  But... if the Grados have rough, strident highs and limited sound stage with it - that is an indication it does not mate with them well. 

It's not so much of an issue of whether it is (or any amp is) a "good amp," as it is whether the headphone amp section has very low output impedance and high current output to mate well with Grados, and other low impedance phones.  For example, the WA3, and WA2, (both OTL tube amps) are great amps, but neither one drives low impedance phones well... though... they drive high impedance phones very well. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #4,132 of 66,258
Quote:

you're entitled to your opinion of course but i don't know what you hope to achieve by continually asserting it as fact here and in other threads, when there are others who disagree with you based on their own knowledge and experience.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #4,133 of 66,258
Aug 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #4,134 of 66,258
Quote:
Hey guys it took me a while but I did it!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/622756/joseph-grado-signature-product-hp-2i-upgraded-hp-1000-headphone-information-journal-and-comparative-review-begun#post_8612977

My first look and impressions, the HP-1000 "i" upgrade. Though nothing has been said on sound yet, you can totally get the idea of what you're paying for here, and the photos extensively covers all of the apparent changes/upgrades. As far as I know it is a first on Head-Fi! :p

Since i sometimes forget to check the ''high end audio'' forum,i hope you'll be posting you're impressions regarding you're HP2i in this thread too,you're exhaustive and ''neutral'' review deserves a well earned spot right here,in the Grado fan thread.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #4,136 of 66,258
Quote:
Since i sometimes forget to check the ''high end audio'' forum,i hope you'll be posting you're impressions regarding you're HP2i in this thread too,you're exhaustive and ''neutral'' review deserves a well earned spot right here,in the Grado fan thread.

Sure, I think they call it "musings"? :p

These are still really early impressions, please let me come back on them later (once I'll have tested and re-tested them), re-adjust them, but so far the keywords would be:

"darker sound signature", "smoother FR and/or less aggressive, I cannot say", "slightly more forward, a few rows closer to the stage or maybe just 'an increased fullness' if it's possible"...

Oh yeah and like every time I get a new headphone, I listen to it twice as loud as my usual listening volume. Haha, and you know, it's pleasurable even if it's loud, it's been 2-3 hours and I still feel relaxed (I should venture out of my comfort zone more often!) I'm listening to all the Project Touhou games (#6 to #12) music

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #4,137 of 66,258
Ladies and gentlemen, the most used up pair of RS2i ever (*edit, it's a vintage RS-2 and the buttons were removed a while ago):

an atomic bomb blast radius survivor

intact rodblock, strangely... the owner didn't hold onto them like he held onto his cups (100% of the time when listening?); or he carefully took the time to remove his two rodblocks before throwing the rest of the parts in the atomic bomb blast radius for no reason.

But the amazing Grado thing I've seen in a while (...except for that other thing...):

PINK DRIVERS ON A RS2i !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (*on a RS2, which is possible, but rare, as the RS-2 was last headphone officially released [1997] by Grado until the GS-1000 in 2006)

It opens up the possibility for everyone to own them, they won't as rare and exclusive anymore! I'm going to ask the seller on eBay how he did it and start using my Grados the same way

I don't understand, it almost looks like he forgot his headphone in a time-accelerating machine. The pads seems to be dying from age, but the RS2i itself isn't even old enough yet (Grado "i" upgrade, ~2009) for the bowls it came with to start disintegrating the same way the stock flats of a SR300 would today

Anyway there it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRADO-REFERENCE-SERIES-HEADPHONES-/120969875279?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c2a5dcf4f#ht_500wt_1361

US $3.25 current bid (3).

The bets are open, I bet one dollar that he won't get more than 100 dollars for it!

And I bet another dollar that it will sell for more than 700 dollars because of its ultra-rare pink drivers

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #4,138 of 66,258
He just left 'em in the sun or in a car I think for a while.

I'd still buy them. Grado still services these headphones.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #4,139 of 66,258
Quote:
And that's a negative?
evil_smiley.gif

If you knew me, you'd know that is definitely NOT a negative. : P

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #4,140 of 66,258
Quote:
He just left 'em in the sun or in a car I think for a while.

I'd still buy them. Grado still services these headphones.

Indeed.

Grados are some of the easiest headphones to get back up to spec, I find. Grado's customer service is some of the best I've encountered, and their construction is relatively simple (in a good way), so replacing parts is not that big of a deal and relatively cheaper compared to some other companies.

When I got my pair of PS-1s, the little black end-caps were missing, and Grado responded to my e-mail within a few hours, sending out a set of them free of charge. They also offered to recable them for a decent price if I felt the current cable was too twisted up.

I say go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back