Grado Fan Club!
Mar 30, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #41,071 of 66,278
Nice to see someone drinking a golden bullet and not a watered down silver one :), guess you can tell I grew up in CO. Love my Grado's too as well as my Weber BBQ.

This guy gets it! Coors orig is way better than light. My usual go-to beer is Yuengling, but ever since the hipsters started making microbrews "trendy", it went from about $10 a 12 pack to almost $15 in a couple years. It's like, how many local $10-$12 6 pack of Pale Ale variants does one really need? Which means that all other beer got more expensive.

And yup -- Weber is what I rock every chance I can get. I suppose gas grills are quicker and more conventient, and might even be better for some marinated chicken, but I just grew up with the extra flavor of Kingston & Weber and the wife and kids now expect it, too. No complaints here!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #41,073 of 66,278
Thanks for the great notes. Yeah, I've not heard the T5 nor T1s, but def didn't like the DT770 / 1770s. I'm just not compatible with their sound. Like I mentioned a few pages back, I've been talking to a coworker in a different state and he's considering selling his GH4s and I'm tempted if he can let them go for $400 give or take, but not sure if it's enough of a difference from the GH2 to justify the purchase (especially if they're actually not as good). The same kinda goes for the RS2e -- I've heard nothing but nearly universal praise for them but I don't need another wooden Grado. And if I get one, I'd like it to have a somewhat different sound signature to compliment the amazing all-arounders that the GH2s are. There were a pair of GH1s on eBay that I was watching but missed the end of the auction. I think they sold for around $300 (which I gladly would have paid!) and I hear they are in the same sound quality ball park as the GH2s but with a different tuning.

But the thing I still want is a closed back with a bit more bass and warmth that works better with more musical styles like metal and poorly recorded pop. The added isolation both ways is a plus since the whole family is home and off work & school, yet I still am working. Been eyeing some Audeze closed backs closely and hope I don't feel guilty for "abandoning Grado" haha

Since you share my love for the GH2's, I wanted to share my second last purchase with you:
The Focal Elex is Amazing!
I actually listened to it for 21 straight days. It is addictive, but unfortunately not a good combo with my new amp.

But the sound! I now rank my top headphones as 1A (GH2's) and 1B (Elex's). Not related to closed backs, but I just had to blurt it out. :relaxed:

Mar 30, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #41,074 of 66,278
Since you share my love for the GH2's, I wanted to share my second last purchase with you:
I actually listened to it for 21 straight days. It is addictive, but unfortunately not a good combo with my new amp.

But the sound! I now rank my top headphones as 1A (GH2's) and 1B (Elex's). Not related to closed backs, but I just had to blurt it out. :relaxed:

Welp, I just ended up buying a pair of LCD-2 closed back off another Head-Fier. That should probably cure both my closed back and bass requirements! Almost feels like I'm gonna be cheating on my faithful Grados, but variety never hurts, right?

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #41,075 of 66,278

BTW, where did you find the Elexes (sp?)? I can't find them on Amazon or even Focal's own site! What do you think their best attribute is?

Mar 31, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #41,076 of 66,278
BTW, where did you find the Elexes (sp?)? I can't find them on Amazon or even Focal's own site! What do you think their best attribute is?

You can only buy them through MassDrop. Next order is not shipping until August.

The sound is VERY different. The bass AND the mids AND high end all work together. It sound's like nothing else I own or have even heard. Out of the box I used them for 21 straight days!

It has taken me five plus years to start figuring this headphone thing out. But now with my Grado's, my Elex's and my Koss Electrostatics I am definitely nearing end game, for me. And it's an awesome feeling! :L3000:

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #41,077 of 66,278
Good way to spend late morning on lockdown.
IMG_0512.jpeg

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #41,078 of 66,278
Mar 31, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #41,080 of 66,278
capture.png

Cool, RAA got around to measuring the GS3000e and PS2000e. Very similar, but it looks like the GS3000e is less bright on the upper treble, which is why people might prefer it over the PS2000e. Though the 5-6k spike is still there, it's not as extreme as the GS2000e (as noted in my review a long while back) which to me made it almost unbearable at stock.

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #41,082 of 66,278
The graphs on the sides of my head along with my upstream gear have no issues whatsoever with the GS2000e "spike" :)

Is that tube peaking out of the bottom right an 807? Maybe a KT88?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #41,084 of 66,278
That's the Citadel Custom from Ultrasonic Studios running NOS RCA 6BG6G powers & NOS RCA 6SL7 drivers.
IMG_0501.jpeg
WOW! That's probably more than I've spent on my hifi downstairs! I bet it's got you not wanting to leave your listening seat for a few hours at a time haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back