Grado Fan Club!
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #39,136 of 65,633
So I've been a happy owner of the RS2e since last May, combining it with the simple JDS Labs cMoyBB amp which adds just the right amount of bass. I originally was very interested in getting the GH2, since there were many reviews floating around basically saying it was everything you love about Grado, but with even better bass reproduction. Due to a deal I couldn't turn down, I ended up going with the RS2e instead. Now that the GH4 is out, I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare it directly against the RS2e, and has any thoughts over whether it's worth making the switch.

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #39,137 of 65,633
So I've been a happy owner of the RS2e since last May, combining it with the simple JDS Labs cMoyBB amp which adds just the right amount of bass. I originally was very interested in getting the GH2, since there were many reviews floating around basically saying it was everything you love about Grado, but with even better bass reproduction. Due to a deal I couldn't turn down, I ended up going with the RS2e instead. Now that the GH4 is out, I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare it directly against the RS2e, and has any thoughts over whether it's worth making the switch.
After checking out Audeze LCD-2C and not really carring about them, I decided to go the Grado route. I went to my local dealer and heard the 225s and liked them enough to order RS2e unheard. Instructed my dealer to ask Grado which they’d recommend between RS2e and GH4 and Grado said the latter.
I have now about 100 hours on them and like them a lot. They compare well to my Stax 300 Limiteds.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #39,139 of 65,633
I went to my local dealer and heard the 225s and liked them enough to order RS2e unheard

I had RS2e, I really suggest to pare them with RA-1 amp from grado. Its not that expansive second hand, but RS2e was the benefits most form all other grados I tried. And they sounds externally good!
Really advice to give a try.
cheers

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #39,140 of 65,633
I’ve been leaning towards the RS2e (which I still haven’t heard), but today I stopped into B&H during my lunch and got the chance to listen to the GH3.

If you’re familiar with B&H you know their listening setup isn’t ideal (loud, busy store, questionable audio source, etc) and I was only in there for a few minutes. But even under those conditions, listening to the GH3 side by side with the 125e (which I own) I could tell the GH3 is a good step up in quality.

The GH3 has a musicality and presence which the 125e lacks. The soundstage was noticeably improved. I think from what I heard the treble is a bit less harsh. Granted, it wasn’t an orders of magnitude improvement overall, but it was a definite improvement.

The GH3 is also much lighter and more comfortable to wear than the 125e, which is a huge deal for me. Even if they sounded the same it would be a reason to switch.

Can anybody who has tried the GH3 and 325e let me know how they compare? The GH3 uses flat pads like the 60-80-125 and yet is still a significant improvement so I am curious how the GH3 compares with the 225-325 in terms of sound.

As of today I would say I am considering the GH3 for my next Grado. Still need to hear the RS2e and 325e.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #39,141 of 65,633
I’ve been leaning towards the RS2e (which I still haven’t heard), but today I stopped into B&H during my lunch and got the chance to listen to the GH3.

If you’re familiar with B&H you know their listening setup isn’t ideal (loud, busy store, questionable audio source, etc) and I was only in there for a few minutes. But even under those conditions, listening to the GH3 side by side with the 125e (which I own) I could tell the GH3 is a good step up in quality.

The GH3 has a musicality and presence which the 125e lacks. The soundstage was noticeably improved. I think from what I heard the treble is a bit less harsh. Granted, it wasn’t an orders of magnitude improvement overall, but it was a definite improvement.

The GH3 is also much lighter and more comfortable to wear than the 125e, which is a huge deal for me. Even if they sounded the same it would be a reason to switch.

Can anybody who has tried the GH3 and 325e let me know how they compare? The GH3 uses flat pads like the 60-80-125 and yet is still a significant improvement so I am curious how the GH3 compares with the 225-325 in terms of sound.

As of today I would say I am considering the GH3 for my next Grado. Still need to hear the RS2e and 325e.

I can't speak to exactly your situation, but...
I bought the SR325e's and it was a love/hate thing at first. Fun to listen to, but bright. After about six months they became my favourite.
I decided that I wanted to climb the family tree and I wanted woodies.
I bought the GH2's and Loved them from the start. Sold the 325's and these are keepers.

At least that was my experience, FWIW.

Shane D

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #39,142 of 65,633
All these talks make me really want to try out a GH model but the local distributor doesn’t carry them... IIRC someone on this thread said the GH1 is similar to the PS500e, which makes me even more curious

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #39,143 of 65,633

Have you tried going to Audio 46 (on 46th Street). They have a lot of Grados there and might have a pair of RS2e’s to demo. I was curious about the GH3, thanks for the impressions...

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #39,144 of 65,633
Have you tried going to Audio 46 (on 46th Street). They have a lot of Grados there and might have a pair of RS2e’s to demo. I was curious about the GH3, thanks for the impressions...

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been to Audio46 but it was awhile back. I recall they had a few Grados but none of them were on display and they were all behind glass. The truth is I'm probably not going to buy a pair of headphones on my lunch break so I always feel a bit bad asking to sample the product when I know I'm just demoing and not going to buy then or there. But I may need to get over this if I ever want to hear these things. It may also be a good way to learn about unadvertised deals.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #39,145 of 65,633
end of an era.goodbye pizza box

Grado-Labs-Brand-and-Packaging-by-High-Tide-NYC-Wide-Headphone-Box-3-560x840.jpg

http://blog.gradolabs.com/new-branding-packaging-identity/

Your three favourite Grado products?
Firstly, the Grado SR60, because that’s the one that gave us credibility. It launched in 1994 and we’re still producing them. It's 25 years old now and has had three generations. We only come out with new models when we feel we have something new that’s worthwhile, and that applies all the way up the line.

I always thought of the SR60 as a seed. We were giving people an opportunity to get into the Grado world, and then they end up moving up the line. People ask, "what gets better?", and the easiest way to explain the answer is it that you keep the signature Grado sound, you just get more and more information.

Then the RS1 headphone, as it was our first wooden headphone. We would build parts here for the RS1 – do 25 wooden housings at a time. But now a friend of the family, who used to make wood pens, does all our woodwork now. We are his only client so it’s really an extension of us. It’s very controlled.

The third? Everything else.
https://www.whathifi.com/features/j...ngs-why-headphones-and-finally-going-wireless

you can't go wrong with sr60 :D

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #39,146 of 65,633
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been to Audio46 but it was awhile back. I recall they had a few Grados but none of them were on display and they were all behind glass. The truth is I'm probably not going to buy a pair of headphones on my lunch break so I always feel a bit bad asking to sample the product when I know I'm just demoing and not going to buy then or there. But I may need to get over this if I ever want to hear these things. It may also be a good way to learn about unadvertised deals.

I’ve demoed a few things there, so I would assume that they’d let you try some Grados... I know what you mean about demoing without being ready to buy, but when you start spending more , it’s ok to try anyway...

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #39,147 of 65,633
Well, I demoed the GH3, 325e, and RS2e at the same time, and I was slightly surprised by the results. Based on my brief 15 minutes of listening I would say:
GH3 << 325e < RS2e

I assumed the GH3 and 325e would be on the same level because of their similarity in price, but I much preferred the sound of the 325e to the GH3. The GH3 were more comfortable to wear, owing to the lighter weight and the flat pads, but they were outclassed in sound by the 325e. I was also a bit surprised that I judged the 325e and RS2e so closely. The RS2e were more pleasant sounding, but it was not an enormous difference between the two that I think I was expecting.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #39,148 of 65,633
Well, I demoed the GH3, 325e, and RS2e at the same time, and I was slightly surprised by the results. Based on my brief 15 minutes of listening I would say:
GH3 << 325e < RS2e

I assumed the GH3 and 325e would be on the same level because of their similarity in price, but I much preferred the sound of the 325e to the GH3. The GH3 were more comfortable to wear, owing to the lighter weight and the flat pads, but they were outclassed in sound by the 325e. I was also a bit surprised that I judged the 325e and RS2e so closely. The RS2e were more pleasant sounding, but it was not an enormous difference between the two that I think I was expecting.

Glad that you actually got to try these headphones on instead of relying purely on review/recommendation.

Was it at Audio46? If so, I may just have to stop by next time visiting NY.

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #39,149 of 65,633
GH3 << 325e < RS2e

The GH3 is interesting, being Grado's least expensive wooden model. But the wood cup is so tiny, probably tinier than the plastics, so the resonance you get from the wood is minimal. As for the SR325e, I've always viewed it as a gimmick because of the metal. Because the weight is concentrated, it feels heavier than any GS model. I've never recommended it.

The RS2e and GH2 (if you can find it) are the best 40mm wooden models. The RS1e is interesting in that it uses the 50mm driver and is better off with the G-cushions. The 50mm driver is tuned differently and that's why opinion is divided on it. But because the RS1e and GH2 were priced within $50 of each other, I'd tell people to go for the GH2 every time.

Audio46 has the GS3000e available to demo. Even though it's likely out of your budget, give it a try just to get some perspective as to how a flagship Grado sounds. I gave my thoughts here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/page-2594#post-14607468

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #39,150 of 65,633
The GH3 is interesting, being Grado's least expensive wooden model. But the wood cup is so tiny, probably tinier than the plastics, so the resonance you get from the wood is minimal. As for the SR325e, I've always viewed it as a gimmick because of the metal. Because the weight is concentrated, it feels heavier than any GS model. I've never recommended it.

The RS2e and GH2 (if you can find it) are the best 40mm wooden models. The RS1e is interesting in that it uses the 50mm driver and is better off with the G-cushions. The 50mm driver is tuned differently and that's why opinion is divided on it. But because the RS1e and GH2 were priced within $50 of each other, I'd tell people to go for the GH2 every time.
The metal cups on the 325e are hardly a gimmick, I can tell you from personal experience that swapping out the plastic cups on the SR80e for the metal 325e cups provides definite sonic improvements over the lower level Prestige line headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back