Grado Fan Club!
Jul 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3,721 of 65,773
okay, I was thinking the same last few days, I find myself reaching for the PS500 more than the PS1000. I was thinking that the quality of my music files is why I am not learning to appreciate the  PS1000.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #3,722 of 65,773
Quote:
I'm a new Grado fan. Been listening to some Black Crowes on my SR325is and it's just wonderful. I wonder how much a PS500 would improve that feeling... since I can't afford a PS1000 right now.

I could very happily live with the 500s without ever buying another headphone. When you first listen to them compared to the 325s, you'll notice a fuller, richer sound with a better low end, but you won't consider it night and day. But after you listen to them for a while and then put the 325s on again, the differences will be more obvious. I love the 325s but the 500s are clearly a better headphone. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #3,723 of 65,773
Thanks LCfiner , I do like the PS500. I am starting to think that my ears are made for midfi stuff
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3,724 of 65,773
Quote:
I'm a new Grado fan. Been listening to some Black Crowes on my SR325is and it's just wonderful. I wonder how much a PS500 would improve that feeling... since I can't afford a PS1000 right now.

Symphones Magnums or PS500.

Just picture if your SR325 had a stack of pancakes, sausages, and hashbrowns right now (I'm not really a bacon sort of guy)

Everything is the same, just more rich and nutritious for your ears.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #3,725 of 65,773
Quote:
You get a lot more bass boom and less aggressive highs. a bit thicker, richer mids. I also think they do a better job with instrument imaging and soundstage depth. But it's not a huge difference since they both use the same foam bowls

I prefer the sound of the PS500, myself.

I could not have said it better myself.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,726 of 65,773
Quote:
You get a lot more bass boom and less aggressive highs. a bit thicker, richer mids. I also think they do a better job with instrument imaging and soundstage depth. But it's not a huge difference since they both use the same foam bowls

I prefer the sound of the PS500, myself.

Sounds like everything I'm looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3,727 of 65,773
Quote:

I could very happily live with the 500s without ever buying another headphone. When you first listen to them compared to the 325s, you'll notice a fuller, richer sound with a better low end, but you won't consider it night and day. But after you listen to them for a while and then put the 325s on again, the differences will be more obvious. I love the 325s but the 500s are clearly a better headphone. 

+1 on the 500's here. I'm using a nos Mazda 5751 with my amp now for increased headroom (and dynamics to die for!), but no matter what I plug 'em in to they are the bomb!

the setup: imac>lossless files>ibasso D7 dac>Bellari HA540>PS500

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3,728 of 65,773
Quote:
+1 on the 500's here. I'm using a nos Mazda 5751 with my amp now for increased headroom (and dynamics to die for!), but no matter what I plug 'em in to they are the bomb!

the setup: imac>lossless files>ibasso D7 dac>Bellari HA540>PS500

Looks like we take a similar approach to our rigs...nothing overly fancy, just good quality gear that does it's job combined with a fantastic $600 headphone :)  I have my lossless ALAC tracks coming through my Apple Express, into my D1 DAC, and then into either my tube buffer/Meier amp or my Little Dot hybrid amp. Modest, quality gear...works great to my ears :)

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3,729 of 65,773
Quote:

Looks like we take a similar approach to our rigs...nothing overly fancy, just good quality gear that does it's job combined with a fantastic $600 headphone :)  I have my lossless ALAC tracks coming through my Apple Express, into my D1 DAC, and then into either my tube buffer/Meier amp or my Little Dot hybrid amp. Modest, quality gear...works great to my ears :)

You're right on the money! Based on what I have listened to I would have to move up to something like the Leben CS 300XS and it's just too expensive for me to justify. I really believe rigs like ours are going to give world-class sq with the right tubes and these Grados. Plus the investment is not so great that you have to agonize changing a component now and then (like a dac).
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3,730 of 65,773
Quote:

You're right on the money! Based on what I have listened to I would have to move up to something like the Leben CS 300XS and it's just too expensive for me to justify. I really believe rigs like ours are going to give world-class sq with the right tubes and these Grados. Plus the investment is not so great that you have to agonize changing a component now and then (like a dac).
wink.gif

Totally agree. I love drooling over the higher end set-ups that people have, but I really couldn't be happier with the performance-per-dollar I'm getting right now. I really like the "remote" app on my iPhone that controls my iTunes library, as well...much more stable than my Squeezebox was previously. I think this is partly why I love headphones so much...for not a lot of money, you can have a really damn good sounding system. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3,731 of 65,773
Quote:

Totally agree. I love drooling over the higher end set-ups that people have, but I really couldn't be happier with the performance-per-dollar I'm getting right now. I really like the "remote" app on my iPhone that controls my iTunes library, as well...much more stable than my Squeezebox was previously. I think this is partly why I love headphones so much...for not a lot of money, you can have a really damn good sounding system. 

I like seeing and reading about high end stuff too,but i'm much more impressed with gear that have a good price/performance ratio,i mean desining great sounding gear that cost the price of a car is one thing,but desining very good sounding gear that the average Joe can afford,to me,is much more impressive. 

By the way,i really must try and figure out how to download high resolution music,i'm a big zero when it comes to computers,but i've read that you can get very high quality sound from downloaded music,better than red book cd at least,right now i listen to vinyls and cd/sacd but i've noticed that manufacturers are making less cd players and more of those,i don't know even know exactly what they're called,''controllers'' or something.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #3,732 of 65,773
Quote:

I like seeing and reading about high end stuff too,but i'm much more impressed with gear that have a good price/performance ratio,i mean desining great sounding gear that cost the price of a car is one thing,but desining very good sounding gear that the average Joe can afford,to me,is much more impressive. 

By the way,i really must try and figure out how to download high resolution music,i'm a big zero when it comes to computers,but i've read that you can get very high quality sound from downloaded music,better than red book cd at least,right now i listen to vinyls and cd/sacd but i've noticed that manufacturers are making less cd players and more of those,i don't know even know exactly what they're called,''controllers'' or something.

I'm with ya. Even my main speaker rig is relatively modest, even though it's more high end than my headphone set up. I also tend to keep my gear far longer than the majority of audiophiles, so when i find a really good price/performace ratio, I really feel great about the purchase. 

I have never downloaded any high rez tracks either, but I think Jude has some resources listed in the 2012 summer buying guide or whatever it was he just put out. I only skimmed through it, but I know I saw something about that. I haven't used a CD players in many years...I love computer based audio where I just rip all my CDs in lossless format into iTunes and then stream it wirelessly. It has quite honestly changed my life. I remember the first time I had gotten my Squeezebox Duet up and running back in the middle of '07. I had the controller in my hand, which had a 2.5" LCD screen to navigate my library, and I thought to myself, "wow, I have my ENTIRE music collection in the palm of my hand!"  It was totally surreal. I love turning off the lights, laying back in a comfortable position, and just creating a mini-concert for myself. It's a great way to unwind and enjoy some tunes. It also doesn't cost much at all and even someone not all that familar with computers and wireless networks can make it work. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3,734 of 65,773
Quote:
+1 on the value proposition; I kind of view it as a "sure you can design the best thing ever at $5000, but can you do it at $500?"
As far as the whole hi-rez thing; I think it's a lot of hype. See the Xiph article for more on that.

I have a universal Oppo player and have a couple of SACDs and DVD-As, and I have to agree with you...I get just as much enjoyment out of regular CD quality as I do the high rez tracks. I don't find it really worth the added expense and it's not nearly as convenient. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3,735 of 65,773
Quote:
Pretty sure it's RS-2, it's been mentioned before and they evidently name-drop the brand with some regularity. I'm not familiar with the show though, so I don't know for certain.
redface.gif

See:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/grado-rs2-gets-scripted-tv-show-1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/482566/grados-spotted-on-usa-network

Tonight he's using the PS 500 in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back