Grado Fan Club!
Apr 23, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #35,371 of 65,638
happy to say I finally heard some real grados! 
I listened to the sr60/125 and the RS2E and PS500E, RS2e really took me by surprise it was a clear step above the Nhoord headphone I had with me, though for those of you've heard them all, how does the RS2E compare to something like the GS2KE? 
I spent a week with the Gs2ke from the ttvj tour. I've actually never heard the Rs2e only the old rs2 (with buttons). The Gs2ke is a whole different headphone from the rs2. It is much more tamed and balanced compared to the rs2.
If you like the Rs2e I'd say get it. Even though Grados all share similarities, a higher model wouldn't necessarily replace something like the Rs2e. You'LL probably get better bass and a more refined treble response from a higher model like the GS2KE but it won't be as transparent and exciting as the Rs2e.
There's a reason why you'll see lots of us here end up with a bunch of different Grados once you get bitten by the Grado bug. :D

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #35,373 of 65,638
don't get me wrong the ps1ke is a beast. "Technically" I'd say it is "better" than the ps1k. But the more colored sound of the PS1k makes it to me more alive and I prefer it with my music, ymmv

If you want more "U" then the PS1000 is the one for you. 
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #35,374 of 65,638
How I wish I can take the Bass presentation of my PS1K, the Treble presentation  of my GS2Ke, the Mids of the RS1i, and meld them together to create the best Grado of all time! Is that going to be what the PS2Ke will offer??? hmm I can only dream
I'm expecting for the ps2ke to be the Gs2ke in heavy aluminum cups. Very much along the same line but a bit more well controlled if that makes sense.

Much like the ps1ke is to the gs1ke, or the gs1ki and the ps1k...

Guess we'll wait and see!

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #35,375 of 65,638
I spent a week with the Gs2ke from the ttvj tour. I've actually never heard the Rs2e only the old rs2 (with buttons). The Gs2ke is a whole different headphone from the rs2. It is much more tamed and balanced compared to the rs2.
If you like the Rs2e I'd say get it. Even though Grados all share similarities, a higher model wouldn't necessarily replace something like the Rs2e. You'LL probably get better bass and a more refined treble response from a higher model like the GS2KE but it won't be as transparent and exciting as the Rs2e.
There's a reason why you'll see lots of us here end up with a bunch of different Grados once you get bitten by the Grado bug.
biggrin.gif

Haha, I just might do that, the RS2E is pretty enough to deserve a spot! I really though need to get my self a nice Tube Amp... something built to run SE, my iBasso PB2 SE output is very very nice, but it's been overshadowed by a hybrid tube amp before... 

what are you guys finding you like amping your grados with? 

An I too am signed up for the Gs2ke tour from ttvj, it's terminated for 4pin xlr so It'll work nice with my Audio GD NFB10ES2, an give me a real chance to compare it to my Franken HE 4, I'm curious to see how it works out! 

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #35,376 of 65,638

Feeding mine from a Woo WA8, but before that it was a Woo WA6, MAD Ear+, and Little Dot 1+. The last three are killer with Grados!

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #35,377 of 65,638
Feeding mine from a Woo WA8, but before that it was a Woo WA6, MAD Ear+, and Little Dot 1+. The last three are killer with Grados!

How's your Leeloo that you're selling pair with Grado's?  

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #35,378 of 65,638

There's a reason why you'll see lots of us here end up with a bunch of different Grados once you get bitten by the Grado bug.
biggrin.gif

Haha, I just might do that, the RS2E is pretty enough to deserve a spot! I really though need to get my self a nice Tube Amp... something built to run SE, my iBasso PB2 SE output is very very nice, but it's been overshadowed by a hybrid tube amp before... 

An I too am signed up for the Gs2ke tour from ttvj, it's terminated for 4pin xlr so It'll work nice with my Audio GD NFB10ES2, an give me a real chance to compare it to my Franken HE 4, I'm curious to see how it works out! 

the chord mojo pairs well with grados on it's own, other than that I use a Mad Ear+ HD whenever I listen at home, which unfortunately I don't get to use much at all. 
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #35,379 of 65,638

if you like simple stuff.chord mojo probably is all you need for grado 

for pairing to reference series, grado ra-1 probably the best. never heard it though

i'm just using CK2III. it's okay for grado. the noise floor sometimes bother me.but maybe if you use better power supply probably wont be a problem. it's cheap, hard to complaint

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #35,380 of 65,638
if you like simple stuff.chord mojo probably is all you need for grado 

for pairing to reference series, grado ra-1 probably the best. never heard it though

i'm just using CK2III. it's okay for grado. the noise floor sometimes bother me.but maybe if you use better power supply probably wont be a problem. it's cheap, hard to complaint

Regarding the simplicity of the mojo, completely agree. Regarding the reference nature of the RA1, not so much. Unless someone basically gave it to you, I probably would not spend much money on the Grado amp. Overpriced in my opinion.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #35,381 of 65,638
Regarding the simplicity of the mojo, completely agree. Regarding the reference nature of the RA1, not so much. Unless someone basically gave it to you, I probably would not spend much money on the Grado amp. Overpriced in my opinion.

like i said i never heard it. but a lot of people in my local forum bitching about grado headphones already and RA1 for sure. but one day there's a guy brought rs1i with RA1. and suddenly they changed their opinion. the system sounds very analog according to them.there's something magical about that system. but the problem is that RA1 pretty much crap for anything else so you spend a lot of money just to pairing it to one very specific headphone. but if you have a chance to demo it.and you only want to listen to rs2 or rs1. that's probably the best amp for that.

to these day i never had a chance to listen that system. when i told a friend who already listen rs1+ra1 that i'm going to sell my rs1 button.he literally said you need to try it first with ra1. to which i replied yeah but i have ps1000e. and he replied never mind. that RA1 only matched for rs1/rs2. other grados there are better option

and you could search for ra1 clone anyway.and if the clone exactly the same with the original in term of performance and measurement.the price wouldn't be a problem i guess

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #35,382 of 65,638
  like i said i never heard it. but a lot of people in my local forum bitching about grado headphones already and RA1 for sure. but one day there's a guy brought rs1i with RA1. and suddenly they changed their opinion. the system sounds very analog according to them.there's something magical about that system. but the problem is that RA1 pretty much crap for anything else so you spend a lot of money just to pairing it to one very specific headphone. but if you have a chance to demo it.and you only want to listen to rs2 or rs1. that's probably the best amp for that.

to these day i never had a chance to listen that system. when i told a friend who already listen rs1+ra1 that i'm going to sell my rs1 button.he literally said you need to try it first with ra1. to which i replied yeah but i have ps1000e. and he replied never mind. that RA1 only matched for rs1/rs2. other grados there are better option

and you could search for ra1 clone anyway.and if the clone exactly the same with the original in term of performance and measurement.the price wouldn't be a problem i guess

I defenitly think RA1 is underrated in this forum. If you spend a few days with it together with RS1 (or even GS1000e) you might find a big suprise in how it affect you. I never regarded Grados as neutral and exact, besides PS1000. They are pure music enjoyment (I enjoy PS1000 also, very much). I have listen to my Grados on many amplifiers and at least regardning the RS1 family (classic and i, and with fresh batteries) RA1 belongs in the top among amplifiers as WA22, IFI Retro 50 - when it comes to music enjoyment.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #35,383 of 65,638
agree with above.

I use my RA-1 together with the PH-1 and RS-1, to listen to my records. when i use the PS1000 with the RA-1, it doesn't sound nearly as nice.

I wouldn't ever pay $150+ for the RA-1 though, as i'm fairly certain it's possible to achieve the same with a CMOY. but of course it stacks so nicely with the PH-1.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #35,385 of 65,638

Users who are viewing this thread

Back