Grado Fan Club!
Jul 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #32,986 of 66,264
  I wouldn't dare do this…what about the steam making the drivers moist?

I've though about the steam but figured that the hot air from the hair dryer was just as much a problem since the first time you try to open them it takes a really long time with the hair dryer versus the hot water dip only takes 30 seconds to get the entire cup warn enough to soften the glue and Hawaii being so humid most of the time figured the short blast of steam would be the lesser of two evils.

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #32,987 of 66,264
Grado Aluminum Gimbals and Rodblocks

I thought I would post this in the forum to help other DIY grado custom builders like myself.
Since martincustomaudio has stopped manufacturing these it’s almost impossible to find them. 

He is located in Malaysia. I am located in the United States. His name is Febrian Wahyudi. email is rholupat@gmail.com. I was fortunate enough to get the gimbals and roadblocks before he sold the second manufactured batch.

I have to tell you it takes time to get these. If they are in stock it takes about 1 month. If you have to wait until he gets another stock in it could take two-three months. In any case he communicates well and was a pleasure to deal with. 

I don’t have his web page but it shouldn’t be hard to do a search for it. I am not affiliated with him in any way. Just impressed by the product. I have purchased quite a few gimbals/rodblocks from martin custom audio but honestly have to say these are much better.

The photos are of the gimbals and roadblocks I just received today. I just finished the clearcoat on the cups shown and will be using a 325e driver which to my ear sounds very good with this wood. Will post competed headphone photos within the week.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #32,991 of 66,264
@glockhit gorgeous stuff. I was thinking vaguely about getting some metal rids for my 225e. After I had a gimbal break I am ultra-nervous. I know Grado will probably sort me out again but still I'd rather not have the issue.

This isn't a complain email about Grado quality either. I think they are OK. However I do still worry when I put my 225e on. I am very aware of the stretch when I open them to put over my head and ears. As I say only because I had a gimbal break.

However I think metal custom gimbals might be a touch too costly for a 225e.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #32,992 of 66,264
Grado Aluminum Gimbals and Rodblocks

I thought I would post this in the forum to help other DIY grado custom builders like myself.

Since martincustomaudio has stopped manufacturing these it’s almost impossible to find them. 

He is located in Malaysia. I am located in the United States. His name is Febrian Wahyudi. email is rholupat@gmail.com. I was fortunate enough to get the gimbals and roadblocks before he sold the second manufactured batch.

I have to tell you it takes time to get these. If they are in stock it takes about 1 month. If you have to wait until he gets another stock in it could take two-three months. In any case he communicates well and was a pleasure to deal with. 

I don’t have his web page but it shouldn’t be hard to do a search for it. I am not affiliated with him in any way. Just impressed by the product. I have purchased quite a few gimbals/rodblocks from martin custom audio but honestly have to say these are much better.

The photos are of the gimbals and roadblocks I just received today. I just finished the clearcoat on the cups shown and will be using a 325e driver which to my ear sounds very good with this wood. Will post competed headphone photos within the week.

How much did these cost you in total?

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #32,994 of 66,264
One thing I should mention..he did ship me the wrong order first but when he was notified corrected it and sent me the correct order. And did not charge me for the wrong order and I did not have to return/exchange it. Although I had to wait three more weeks to get my gimbals. Things happen and he took care of it right away. Unfortunately I'm in the USA. So patience is a key factor here. Everything worked out though. And they definitely were worth waiting for.

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #32,995 of 66,264
@glockhit
 gorgeous stuff. I was thinking vaguely about getting some metal rids for my 225e. After I had a gimbal break I am ultra-nervous. I know Grado will probably sort me out again but still I'd rather not have the issue.

This isn't a complain email about Grado quality either. I think they are OK. However I do still worry when I put my 225e on. I am very aware of the stretch when I open them to put over my head and ears. As I say only because I had a gimbal break.

However I think metal custom gimbals might be a touch too costly for a 225e.
That's strange. Years and years of owning Grado headphones (I have a large head) I have never had that happen. You'll probably be fine with another plastic replacement from Grado.
Actually the aluminum gimbals are more fragile and would break much easier than the plastic gimbals. If your concerned about an appearance update aluminum is the way to go, otherwise I would stick with the plastic. I have only used the aluminum gimbals for appearance on my custom wood grados. They look beautiful with exotic woods and custom leather headband.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #32,996 of 66,264
That's strange. Years and years of owning Grado headphones (I have a large head) I have never had that happen. You'll probably be fine with another plastic replacement from Grado.
Actually the aluminum gimbals are more fragile and would break much easier than the plastic gimbals. If your concerned about an appearance update aluminum is the way to go, otherwise I would stick with the plastic. I have only used the aluminum gimbals for appearance on my custom wood grados. They look beautiful with exotic woods and custom leather headband.

Yeah Grado were ace and sent a free gimbal. It happened a few months ago. I am still nervous now though. I treasure my belongings so I treat them excellently, so it's good to hear Grado are OK quality again. I have had four pairs. Two SR60, one was OK, and the second was returned with a hole in the cable. SR125i which got grattle, and sadly I didn't know what it was so they went back. Then my current SR225e which lost a gimbal. Only a 25% success rate so far unfortunately. I still love Grado though and will continue buying them. Silly me haha.
dt880smile.png
 Of course I am only joking, I just got unlucky.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #32,997 of 66,264
Yeah Grado were ace and sent a free gimbal. It happened a few months ago. I am still nervous now though. I treasure my belongings so I treat them excellently, so it's good to hear Grado are OK quality again. I have had four pairs. Two SR60, one was OK, and the second was returned with a hole in the cable. SR125i which got grattle, and sadly I didn't know what it was so they went back. Then my current SR225e which lost a gimbal. Only a 25% success rate so far unfortunately. I still love Grado though and will continue buying them. Silly me haha. :dt880smile:  Of course I am only joking, I just got unlucky.
Wow in the many many years of owning every Grado model they make I never had one bad headphone. The only bad and damaged product I received from them was their wooden display box. The veneer was chipped in several places and passed their quality control that way. I got rid of the display box and never ordered another one. It looked like crap. And it wasn't cheap.

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #32,998 of 66,264
Wow in the many many years of owning every Grado model they make I never had one bad headphone. The only bad and damaged product I received from them was their wooden display box. The veneer was chipped in several places and passed their quality control that way. I got rid of the display box and never ordered another one. It looked like crap. And it wasn't cheap.

Other than my first pair of RS2s sounding a bit echoey I never had a bad pair of grados

sr60
sr325 (orig and i)
Rs2
Rs1
Ps500e

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #32,999 of 66,264
I have had SR80e's, RS1e, GS1000e and now PS500e.

The only pair that I had an issue with were a pair of GS1000e where one side was a lot louder than the other from new - they took them back and replaced them immediately.  The replacement pair were fine.

The others have all been excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back