Grado Fan Club!
Jun 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,078 of 65,634
I very rarely see good deals on Head-Fi... people always seem think their headphones is worth like 90-95% of the price of a new unit, and sell the headphone in hopes of getting the most money out of it, in order to buy something else thereafter.

When you find such headphones on classifieds website, people are not trying to get money more than they are getting themselves rid of their stuff... here you go deals: immaculate GS1000, 550$ http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648988488-1_pair_grado_gs1000/ 600$ http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/223816-grade_gs1000 HP-1 800$ http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/212780-consignmentjoseph_gradosignature_hp1000 I also saw a never used MS2i for 120 dollars on Kijiji but link is gone, and I can tell you I regularly seen RS1 for ~400 dollars on Canuckaudiomart.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #3,079 of 65,634
those prices are hardly common. Most of the time, a used GS1000 will be between 650 and 750. MSRP is still 1000 and Grado puts effort into keeping it at that. if there are open box deals at other stores, they’re not in great quantity.

That HP1000 price is a straight up steal. Someone should be so lucky to get one under 1500, let alone under 1000.

If you visit CAM or the forums here every day (or several times a day) you might be lucky enough to get a price like that but it’s hardly easy. Might take more than a year to get a deal like that.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3,080 of 65,634
Not so rare, I've been monitoring this market for 8 months and so far, I've seen what is being sold and at which price.

It's fairly easy, when you have a minimum of patience. Search Craigslist and those... not just eBay or Head-Fi.

We're not the only ones buying/selling the high end headphones.

Also, sometimes headphones end up in a wrong category on eBay, and the auction for it ends at a real low price.

A RS1 prototype (Super vintage but with a rather plain text font and layout used for the inscription) went unnoticed on eBay at a 0.99 starting price (reserve not met, buy it now 500$) in december. It was purchased by Jasmineswell headphone roller (privately) resold at 1500, winning bid on eBay in March.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3,081 of 65,634
I don’t need the links. I’m just saying that as someone who has bought and sold a lot of headphones and related equipment the past couple years, that it is rare to find 40-50% off MSRP on good condition used headphones. Those are the exceptions, not the common prices.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #3,083 of 65,634
Yes those are exceptional and they get sold very quickly, so you need to lie in wait.

MuppetFace, I believe it's still the same guy that was banned twice from Head-Fi (waddragon and lucky_star), I've found his Flickr account and he has pictures of him buying all sorts of things like PS-1, L3000, many HP-1000s. He would be Jasmineswell and BFBaudio on eBay, and Lobster_king on audiogon.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #3,084 of 65,634
Hi there Grado people, I have a full almunim V4 Magnum (325i Moded Grado) and need some help:

Anyone ever tried to sleep with 325i? How is it on the head, too heavy? Which are the most confortable Grado pads to sleep with? And what about the "Jumbo" Grado's, are they good to sleep with?
I'm thinking about buying a RS1i, PS500 or GS1000i - if any of theese are really that much more confortable to sleep with than my current 325i full aluminum V4 Magnums - sleep time listenings... Is it worth it?

Thank you very much!

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #3,085 of 65,634
I wouldn’t want to fall asleep with a pair of GS1000 or PS1000 on my head. The PS1000 are heavy enough to slide down the head and onto your neck or chest and could then get all tangled up with your arms. The GS1000 would probably stay on since they’re light but if you turn your head while asleep, you would put pressure on the massive cups and possible twist the assembly off your head.

My opinion is that if you expect to fall asleep with a grado headphone on your head, get a super light, and relatively inexpensive SR60, 80, or similar. 

The plastic is not going to be easy to break but if something bad does happen with a pulled cord or whatever, you don’t have a very broken and very expensive replacement on your hands.

But I would actually suggest earbuds for something to ear in bed. Something that can pop off your ear and won’t be a problem if your head is on the side, laying on the pillow.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,086 of 65,634
Quote:

I say without any sarcasm, that perhaps these charts don't mean much if anything - and that there is more to it all.  

there is, and your ears will determine whether the measurable distortion that you see in those charts is audible.
smile.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #3,087 of 65,634
Quote:
there is, and your ears will determine whether the measurable distortion that you see in those charts is audible.
smile.gif

Yep, that's something that many people overlook...what we can measure may be interesting but audible. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #3,088 of 65,634
Quote:
Hi there Grado people, I have a full almunim V4 Magnum (325i Moded Grado) and need some help:
Anyone ever tried to sleep with 325i? How is it on the head, too heavy? Which are the most confortable Grado pads to sleep with? And what about the "Jumbo" Grado's, are they good to sleep with?
I'm thinking about buying a RS1i, PS500 or GS1000i - if any of theese are really that much more confortable to sleep with than my current 325i full aluminum V4 Magnums - sleep time listenings... Is it worth it?
Thank you very much!

Wearing Grado while sleeping? Really? I do feel sorry for the Grado that you will eventually buy, which will get broken as soon as you turn on your side in your sleep. Maybe you can try the Grado GR10. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back