Grado Fan Club!
Jan 7, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #29,986 of 65,854

Hi Harry Manback.  I just took this picture.  The AMP/DAC in the picture is a Benchmark DAC1 HDR which features two headphone jacks.  I chose the Grado PS1000e and compared it to both HD6X0.  The Senns in the picture is the HD650.

To answer your question, based on a quick listen :

1-) The Grado PS1Ke vs HD600, focusing strictly on the bass, they are pretty even.  The HD600 is a flat/neutral sounding headphone       & the bass is not a prominent feature of the PS1Ke.  The only difference I could barely detect is that the HD600 bass sounds just a bit further away but is clearly present; the bass on the PS1Ke is somewhat more forward and seems a bit tighter.  

2-) The bass on the HD650 is more prominent/present than on the PSK1e but they are two different animals when it comes to overall sound.  The bass on the Grado is still more forward but this headphone is so balanced that it's hard to focus on the bass alone.

I tried two methods, one was switching headphones quickly while listening to the same song.  The second method was listening to the left side of the Grado & the right side of the HD6X0.  In conclusion, I found the experiment to be difficult overall but I hope I gave you some perspective on the differences : the bass is : HD650 more prominent, PSK1e less prominent but somewhat more forward & tight but mixed in with an overall balance of the sounds (highs, mids & bass), the HD600 flat neutral overall sound with the bass clearly heard but seems a sounds a bit more distant.

Before joining The Dark Side, I used to own a pair of HD600, and one day while the store's tech was ajusting my turntable, I asked if I could compare the HD600, with the Grado RS1. I still remember the first thing that struck me was how much more detail I was hearing through the RS1.

Then I felt like I was going to faint as I thought to myself, ''oh crap! I've bought the wrong headphones''. A few months later, I was buying my GS1000, and now 8 pairs of Grados later, I consider myself to be at an advanced stage of this disease called chronic headphonitis, for wich there is no cure.
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #29,987 of 65,854

Hi Harry Manback.  I just took this picture.  The AMP/DAC in the picture is a Benchmark DAC1 HDR which features two headphone jacks.  I chose the Grado PS1000e and compared it to both HD6X0.  The Senns in the picture is the HD650.

To answer your question, based on a quick listen :

1-) The Grado PS1Ke vs HD600, focusing strictly on the bass, they are pretty even.  The HD600 is a flat/neutral sounding headphone       & the bass is not a prominent feature of the PS1Ke.  The only difference I could barely detect is that the HD600 bass sounds just a bit further away but is clearly present; the bass on the PS1Ke is somewhat more forward and seems a bit tighter.  

2-) The bass on the HD650 is more prominent/present than on the PSK1e but they are two different animals when it comes to overall sound.  The bass on the Grado is still more forward but this headphone is so balanced that it's hard to focus on the bass alone.

I tried two methods, one was switching headphones quickly while listening to the same song.  The second method was listening to the left side of the Grado & the right side of the HD6X0.  In conclusion, I found the experiment to be difficult overall but I hope I gave you some perspective on the differences : the bass is : HD650 more prominent, PSK1e less prominent but somewhat more forward & tight but mixed in with an overall balance of the sounds (highs, mids & bass), the HD600 flat neutral overall sound with the bass clearly heard but seems a sounds a bit more distant.

Thank you for this comparison!

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #29,989 of 65,854
   Would you be interested in buying back your little dot mkiii?

possibly another contender ,  i was thinking hybrid really, but this has my wheels turning now

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #29,991 of 65,854
  I still have the Pan Am...

might just be a tad more than i was planning on spending, but seeing as how you've had it so long, it must be tasty, it's a dac too isn't it ?

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #29,993 of 65,854
Jan 8, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #29,997 of 65,854
I Am a first time Grado owner and absolutely love my first ever pair. Defiletly want to be part of the fan club. This is my first pair of over ear headphones and am sold on them, I still love my cheap(er) in ears but something about these and how magical they make music sound. Here's a picture of my first ever desktop set up. Choose the Grados because of the whole love them hate them argument and just felt drawn to them. Well I love them. Don't have any retail establishments to go listen to high end cans at so dove in head goes so to speak.

Thanks for letting me share and I will have a bunch of questions regarding tube rolling in the near future.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #29,998 of 65,854
I Am a first time Grado owner and absolutely love my first ever pair. Defiletly want to be part of the fan club. This is my first pair of over ear headphones and am sold on them, I still love my cheap(er) in ears but something about these and how magical they make music sound. Here's a picture of my first ever desktop set up. Choose the Grados because of the whole love them hate them argument and just felt drawn to them. Well I love them. Don't have any retail establishments to go listen to high end cans at so dove in head goes so to speak.

Thanks for letting me share and I will have a bunch of questions regarding tube rolling in the near future.

welcome to the darkside !!
you have a great setup there, i've had that exact setup before, the gs1000e/madear + combo is one of the best ! congrats
hope you stay around, great group of guys here

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #30,000 of 65,854
Thanks! Just spent 1.5 hours listening. Extremely comfortable and beautiful sounding. I originally had purchased the Roxanne universals, they had a bad cable and Amazon took them back so I decided to go the desktop route. So glad I did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back