Grado Fan Club!
Apr 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #2,687 of 65,564
I would be looking at these, but that's just my opinion..http://www.head-fi.org/t/587526/three-dac...hrt-music-streamer-ii.../30  http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2242&start=0 cost will be around $300.. I have heard the hrt2 music streamer through a club sound system..A dj friend of mine had a small korg kaossilator that was only 16 bit and he used the hrt2 to make it 24bit and the sound improved tenfold..For a desk top system $300 is about the right price,you don't want to be going overboard..p.s Also they are plug and play and nice and neat no messing about with cables all over the place..

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #2,688 of 65,564

Touching tubes in a demonstration video or any situation for that matter - tsk..tsk..tsk naughty, naughty very naughty

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #2,689 of 65,564

Quote:
http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tubemagic_d2 the dac d1 is 24bit over optical and coaxial but not over usb?  The dac d2 is 24bit over usb but has no headphone amp!

I was actually referring to the AudioEngine D1 :)  It does 24/192 over USB and optial and has a headphone amp that is ideal for Grados. For $169 it's really tough to beat!

I think all your suggestions are great, though...definitely love the little Dot!!

PS. The AudioEngine D1 has the same "super DAC" that is used in the very highly regarded Logitech Squeezebox Transporter, which retails for $1299.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #2,690 of 65,564

Quote:

I was actually referring to the AudioEngine D1 :)  It does 24/192 over USB and optial and has a headphone amp that is ideal for Grados. For $169 it's really tough to beat!

I think all your suggestions are great, though...definitely love the little Dot!!

PS. The AudioEngine D1 has the same "super DAC" that is used in the very highly regarded Logitech Squeezebox Transporter, which retails for $1299.

Sounds like a bargain $169 for the audio engine d1 i agree..thanks!
http://www.whathifi.com/review/audioengine-d1 http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Audioengine-D1-Premium.../product_5860 http://www.whathifi.com/review/hrt-music-streamer-ii I have only heard the hrt2 music streamer so i couldn't really comment on the audio engine d1s sound quality sorry..

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #2,691 of 65,564

Quote:

Sounds like a bargain $169 for the audio engine d1 i agree..thanks!

I will admit I was reluctant, because the DAC I had in my main rig was a $700 tube DAC and I thought it would be a step down, but the little D1 is just great...I don't know if everyone knows about it, though, so trying to get the word out. I don't see any way to do better for a buck sixty-nine.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #2,692 of 65,564
How much amping do I need for the sr325is? Should a fiio e17 be sufficient? These are going to be the first grados I'm owning. Any mods I should take a look at? Are differences between pads very important? I read a bit on pad changes especially since the grado pads are uncomfortable...

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #2,693 of 65,564

Quote:

I will admit I was reluctant, because the DAC I had in my main rig was a $700 tube DAC and I thought it would be a step down, but the little D1 is just great...I don't know if everyone knows about it, though, so trying to get the word out. I don't see any way to do better for a buck sixty-nine.

I think he has really only got a couple of choices if he wants something at a nice price the audio engine d1 at $169 or if he can push it to $300 the hrt2 streamer with the the lil dot 1+!

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #2,696 of 65,564

Quote:
I bought my first Grado's around a month ago and as soon as I blasted some Thin Lizzy through them it was love at first listen! 

I'm already saving up for a SR225i or SR325is :D

Welcome to the club!

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #2,697 of 65,564

Quote:

TubeMagic D1 or Audioengine D1?

Sorry, I meant the AudioEngine. I haven't heard the TubeMagic one, but I love the styling and have read lots of positive reviews. But I think the AudioEngine piece is one of the best bargains in audio right now, especially for Grado owners since the headamp is PERFECT for us.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2,698 of 65,564

Quote:

I think he has really only got a couple of choices if he wants something at a nice price the audio engine d1 at $169 or if he can push it to $300 the hrt2 streamer with the the lil dot 1+!

I agree...and I truly think you'd have to spend quite a bit more in order to hear an appreciable difference. It's unbelievable how much quality we can get today at such low prices...this was unheard of a few short years ago. I think I already mentioned it earlier, but I'm probably going to end up getting a 2nd D1 lol.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #2,699 of 65,564

Quote:
How much amping do I need for the sr325is? Should a fiio e17 be sufficient? These are going to be the first grados I'm owning. Any mods I should take a look at? Are differences between pads very important? I read a bit on pad changes especially since the grado pads are uncomfortable...

You can run those 325s straight from your laptop, iPod, whatever. I'm in the camp that you can get more out of them, particularly once you get to the 325s, by using an amp, but others disagree with that. The E17 would be great. Can't really help you with mods, and the pad comfort thing is something I've always felt was overblown. My 325s aren't comfortable like my BeyerD T1s are, but I don't find them uncomfortable in the slightest. I know that some Grado owners enjoy trying the larger pads (G-cush?), but I've yet to do that. I was told to throw my pads in the washer with my clothes (using fabric softener) once or twice, and that's exactly what I did. I can wear my Grados for hours, but I know others don't find them as comfortable.

Welcome to the club!!

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,700 of 65,564

Quote:

Sorry, I meant the AudioEngine. I haven't heard the TubeMagic one, but I love the styling and have read lots of positive reviews. But I think the AudioEngine piece is one of the best bargains in audio right now, especially for Grado owners since the headamp is PERFECT for us.

Yes I thought you did... but you use another AMP in combination with the Audioengine D1, a tube AMP? 

I have neither. Been reading and every time a new brand or model comes up to the equation, so I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm positive about de DAC (either Audioengine D1 / HRT) but still looking into AMPs Tube Vs SS Vs Hybrid still another variable to consider, I read that Tube AMP pair better with Grado.

Also, like mentioned the're AMP/DAC that look appealing, So I don't know where to start yet.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back