Grado Fan Club!
Dec 11, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #20,821 of 65,615
  I guess there are some pretty powerful DAP's and other portable devices out there now, which use the 1/8 due to size limitations.  What do I know?  I'm a fossil...

i went to the dr yesterday, i'm a fossil too

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #20,822 of 65,615
What's the issue with being terminated with 1/8 and using an adaptor to become 1/4 for desktop amps? Is this an aesthetic issue, sound quality issue, or for sentimental reasons?

FWIW, I also prefer 1/4, and it's because I truly believe adaptors makes the bass a bit less.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #20,823 of 65,615

The Bushmills are a limited edition, and there can't be that many tan headband on regular Grados running around, so the odds that someone owns both model to compare the headbands are very slim. Hmmm!, unless, Joseph is willing to ship his good Buddy, Stacker, his new Frankeinstein edition GS1000e, so I can do a scrutinous comparison.

And just to be clear, when I use the word Frankeinstein, I don't mean any disrespect, it was simply the first word that came to me when I read about them. And let's be realistic, we're not talking about one or two pairs fluke here, so I think that being able to indetify them with only one word is a good thing.

Unless they are making them anew? Because I am seeing some marketing from Grado with the brown headband :S

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #20,824 of 65,615
Audiophiles demand excellency.
Grado needs consistency especially in a new series and higher end models. The Frankenstein models and variability in plug size does not help one iota.
Grado if you are reading this fix your stuff...

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #20,825 of 65,615
Audiophiles demand excellency.
Grado needs consistency especially in a new series and higher end models. The Frankenstein models and variability in plug size does not help one iota.
Grado if you are reading this fix your stuff...

I don't see any inconsistency there. I see a company that's dynamic=able to adjust to changing times. Anybody who cannot adjust will be left out.

Why would a HP be insisted on being terminated in 1/4 when that same HP can and actually sounds really good in a portable setup?? It doesn't take anything away from a desktop setup at all. A small quality adapter plug isn't a hassle at all, not even an iota.

Gotta admit, I don't understand the issue on the 1/8 at all. It would make possible for Grado cans to be now used in portables, and there are many quality portables now, whether source, DAC or amp. Why would you not want that? Even at home its a gift from heaven. You can throw yourself in your Lazy-Boys, bed, sofa, patio, terrace, wherever you want...with your Grados...what's wrong with that? Change is good.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #20,826 of 65,615

Before I bought my PS1000, I owned a pair of PS500 for about 2 weeks, so I'm looking forward to reading your impressions regarding the PS500.

Will do. I haven't heard a non-SR series Grado in a while (sold my HF-1 a long time ago) but I can at least compare it to the SR325is. Why did you sell your 500? What did you think of it?

I really like that! Open to get to with ease, yet covered to reduce dust.

What is the box? Bought (if so, where?) or made?

Thanks! As 020 Assassin said, it's an Ikea bookshelf, just one that you can get for $30 or so.

The stands/hangars are actually toilet paper roll holders from Ikea as well:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20047898/

Here is another view:

I had a free bookshelf and the holders are only $6 each.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #20,827 of 65,615
Will do. I haven't heard a non-SR series Grado in a while (sold my HF-1 a long time ago) but I can at least compare it to the SR325is. Why did you sell your 500? What did you think of it?

Thanks! As 020 Assassin said, it's an Ikea bookshelf, just one that you can get for $30 or so.

The stands/hangars are actually toilet paper roll holders from Ikea as well:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20047898/

Here is another view:

I had a free bookshelf and the holders are only $6 each.

You should have kept the other picture alone...:D

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #20,828 of 65,615
You should have kept the other picture alone...
biggrin.gif

Doesn't look quite as nice, does it? 
tongue.gif

Kind of a "behind the scenes" look lol. Sorry for ruining the illusion.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #20,830 of 65,615
What's the issue with being terminated with 1/8 and using an adaptor to become 1/4 for desktop amps? Is this an aesthetic issue, sound quality issue, or for sentimental reasons?

FWIW, I also prefer 1/4, and it's because I truly believe adaptors makes the bass a bit less.

For me, I usually lose those damn adapters... 

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #20,831 of 65,615
The box looks like standard IKEA bookcase. IKEA has the BILLY (at least, in Europe) and you can get a piece to put on top to make the BILLY higher.

I'm more interested in the headphone 'stands'. They look pretty nifty, hanging that way. Looks like you could hang them in any bookcase or rack with shelves.

I have a Sennheiser HH10 fixed to my laptop platform, but I also ordered two KM headphone clamps from Thomann in Germany.
Assassin, your post spurred me to look up Thomann of Germany where I saw one of their mahogany headphone stands which I think will look super with my RS1's on it. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #20,833 of 65,615

Quarter inch ,

1/4 is easier to solder and is easier to do wire with , the Pro level xlr would be even better.  The tiny Plugs limit the expensive wire options , still quite good.   

If you lean to doing wire mods. you'll require 1/4 and complain about the tiny stuff.

Functionality wise, the smaller the better, don't let the wire people tell you otherwise.  

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #20,834 of 65,615

Thanks, I can't claim the idea for it, though. I got it from here:

http://lifehacker.com/hang-your-headphones-under-your-desk-with-this-ikea-hoo-1603025534

Ah, neat!

I made the 'other' Ikea headphone stand, and love the look. Creative people are awesome...

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #20,835 of 65,615

Ah, neat!

I made the 'other' Ikea headphone stand, and love the look. Creative people are awesome...

Awesome! That looks great. I really wanted to make that one but I was too lazy to make the stand/base. Mine only took me 5 minutes to put some wood screws into the bottom of the shelf. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back