Grado Fan Club!
Mar 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2,012 of 65,692

Quote:
If you look at the cup design of the Audeze, you can see it not the best implementation for hardwood, and that would explain their issues with cracking. The Grados, not so much of a problem. 

I look at it and I just think of a one piece wood window blind

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #2,015 of 65,692

Quote:
If you look at the cup design of the Audeze, you can see it not the best implementation for hardwood, and that would explain their issues with cracking. The Grados, not so much of a problem. 

It's quite a big wooden ring, yet not quite a thick and supportive as a Grado cup would be.  I can see where there would be issues.  HifiMAN quickly moved away from the wooden rings after the fiasco with the HE-5 headphones.  Climate damage to woods is not always fun.  We have hardwoods on 3/4 of our main level.  Each winter, there is always one section that open up about 1/8" and then closes itself during the warmer and more humid months of summer.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #2,016 of 65,692
I'm rejoining the club! I just ordered some PS500s after a too-long hiatus from the Grado sound.

I'll be driving them with a restored Yamaha CR2020 and matching them with a Rega P1 turntable. 

Like many here I'm sure, my first "real" headphone was the SR60.

Surely the cheapest - and most common - purchase made at Lyric HiFi on the UES, I loved the SR60s but sold them to have ill-advised affairs with the Senn 595s and the  AKG 701s. I lost the 701s during a move ( I literally threw them away by accident! What would Freud say? ) and I replaced them with the Shure 840s. The Shures were all I could afford at the time, and despite some QC issues I always liked them...

But, I want to love my music. And that's what Grados are for, right? 

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,017 of 65,692

Quote:
I'm rejoining the club! I just ordered some PS500s after a too-long hiatus from the Grado sound.

I'll be driving them with a restored Yamaha CR2020 and matching them with a Rega P1 turntable. 

Like many here I'm sure, my first "real" headphone was the SR60.

Matro, your Yamaha is gorgeous. I'm driving my HF2's with a Harmon Kardon 330B. I'm sure your PS500's are going to sound awesome paired with that. What will you be listening to when you plug them in the first time?

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,019 of 65,692

Thanks, KJ. It's a great question. I've got about a week until they arrive and it kind of feels like I'm going to spend the entire time figuring out what to play first! I'm all over the map musically, but something tells me the first thing I'll play will either be In the Aeroplane Over the Sea or The Moon & Antarctica. 

Quote:
Matro, your Yamaha is gorgeous. I'm driving my HF2's with a Harmon Kardon 330B. I'm sure your PS500's are going to sound awesome paired with that. What will you be listening to when you plug them in the first time?

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,020 of 65,692
anyone else love the way tube amps sound with grado? The little dot MKII is just the perfect match for these, a little darker than the 1+ and just brings out the gooeyness to the vocals.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #2,022 of 65,692

Quote:
Yes. Nearly every other post in this thread is about tube amps and Grados being good together. :wink:

nonsense
wink.gif
I am how ever kind of wanting a new amp....nothing wrong with mine in the least bit, really fits all of my gear actually....just the head-fi bugs. Maybe a dac finally heh.....wait NO MUST RESIST!

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2,023 of 65,692

Speaking of sweet DAC's that match Grado's for those seeking an even more sugary sound. Been playing around with this.

The new mini sized Quad DAC Link D1 is a very nice effort for the cash from those speaker guys at QUAD, it's their very first DAC
 and it's not half bad for the cash - approx $300USD-ish for you US based Head-Fiers.

As you can see it's smaller than a Fiio E9 amplifier. It also doubles up as a USB to SPDIF converter when you connect both USB and SPDIF cables.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2,024 of 65,692

Quote:

Speaking of sweet DAC's that match Grado's for those seeking an even more sugary sound. Been playing around with this.

The new mini sized Quad DAC Link D1 is a very nice effort for the cash from those speaker guys at QUAD, it's their very first DAC
 and it's not half bad for the cash - approx $300USD-ish for you US based Head-Fiers.

As you can see it's smaller than a Fiio E9 amplifier. It also doubles up as a USB to SPDIF converter when you connect both USB and SPDIF cables.

grados sound good with cambridge audio gear,i use my ps1000s with the azur 840a and 840c with np30 music streamer and it sounds identical to a martin logan sound system that they have in all the top clubs..i use mordaunt short performance six speakers with the azur aswell they sound very nice together..

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,025 of 65,692
I drive my Grados with either a,Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 hybrid  tube amp,a vintage Yamaha CA-610II,or a Marantz 2220B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back