Grado e Series
Mar 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,886 of 6,729
  You're right, I'll see with the seller what we can do. The thing is I live in France, and the price just increased from 785 to 850 euros, and I had them with a discount, so I don't know if they can just exchange them.

BTW, does somebody could tell me how can I have the permissions to add a picture here ?

Thanks.

Permission ? You can just copy and paste your image here or click on the icon to insert image.

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #3,888 of 6,729
Hm, it says I don't have enough permissions to add a link or an image in my message. Maybe cause I don't have posted enough messages.
b

If you are anew Member your ability to post pictures is limited, I don't know what the threshold is to gain permission.

If you are unhappy with your pair the Retailer should replace them, even with the price increase they remain 500e's. I absolutely love mine, fantastic multiple genre HP's!

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #3,890 of 6,729
  You're right, I'll see with the seller what we can do. The thing is I live in France, and the price just increased from 785 to 850 euros, and I had them with a discount, so I don't know if they can just exchange them.

Thanks.

I'm in the UK and our sales of goods act says all laws apply equally to sales items and non sales items. I guess yours will be the same. If the damage was not mentioned in the price reduction you should be fully within your rights to get a return/replacement. Like I said before you could negotiate for a further reduction offer and think about that.

However that type of damage is one of the very reasons I am nervous about buying 325e, or PS500e. I am accident prone and I would knock a chunk out myself. I have taken great care of my 225i/e and they are pristine. Paintwork though, risky for me. Plus I am really happy with the simpler headband on the 225. I'd just be paying for a fancy headband I'd gain no advantage from. 

I expect I'd have to put it down to the old adage, that chips and scratches add character.
atsmile.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #3,891 of 6,729
  Hi,

After a long time reading this topic, I just received my brand new PS500e. It seems sound pretty good, but, it has a little scratch on one cup. I don't have authorization to add a picture now, but I will when I can.

I've seen many of you had issues with some Grado here, so could it be considered as a "classic" issue of Grado, or should I send it back ? It seems perferct otherwise.

Thanks

I think it's pathetic, when a scratch on a new product is considered normal. In my opinion, the fact that Grados are built by hand is no excuse. Many other products are hand built, and I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't get passed the final quality control inspection. Rolls Royce comes to mind. Heck!, I don't even think that a Honda would clear final inspection with a scratch on it's body.

Long story short. About week after I bought my new GS1000 I noticed  had a 1/2'' scratch on the back of the right earcup. My salseman contacted Grado's rep who brought two ''new'' pairs in, for me to chose from, and they turned out having worse defects than the pair that I had, so I ended up keeping mine.

Since my GS1000 in 2006, I have bought four new pairs of Grados, and to save myself some grief, I simply try to avoid looking at them with scutiny. 

I guess that the complaints are probably to few and far between, but if everyone complained, Grado would probably be do the apropriate changes to save themselves the trouble of dealing with many angry cotumers. 

And don't forget that if you decide to keep a pair of headphone that have one, or more defects, a future buyer may try to grind you about it, and want to give you less money because of it.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,892 of 6,729
IMO it's just for peace of mind. We do have every right to return/replace a pair of headphones if there are scratches on the cups, but a lot of people just want to settle on a pair that they enjoy listening to. So if stouf doesn't mind the scratch, just keep it. I do know that Grado (and Alessandro) has lousy QC, (ironically) especially  on higher-priced cans. So if yours is working normally and if you have absolutely no plan to sell it later, why bother indeed. The sound is fantastic anyway.

Do however think it through. I always thought I'd keep my headphones forever. I was wrong.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,893 of 6,729
  Otherwise please anyone? Is it only the aluminium housing that is the only other difference between the 225e and the 325e?

I have not opened the cups myself, but considering that Magnums are made exclusively from 325/MS2 drivers, I don't think it's the same from 225.
Plus the 225 and 325 lines have always been very different in term of sound. 225 leans towards warmer while 325 is brighter and more detailed. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #3,894 of 6,729

I think it's pathetic, when a scratch on a new product is considered normal. In my opinion, the fact that Grados are built by hand is no excuse. Many other products are hand built, and I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't get passed the final quality control inspection. Rolls Royce comes to mind. Heck!, I don't even think that a Honda would clear final inspection with a scratch on it's body.

Long story short. About week after I bought my new GS1000 I noticed  had a 1/2'' scratch on the back of the right earcup. My salseman contacted Grado's rep who brought two ''new'' pairs in, for me to chose from, and they turned out having worse defects than the pair that I had, so I ended up keeping mine.

Since my GS1000 in 2006, I have bought four new pairs of Grados, and to save myself some grief, I simply try to avoid looking at them with scutiny. 

I guess that the complaints are probably to few and far between, but if everyone complained, Grado would probably be do the apropriate changes to save themselves the trouble of dealing with many angry cotumers. 

And don't forget that if you decide to keep a pair of headphone that have one, or more defects, a future buyer may try to grind you about it, and want to give you less money because of it.

You can bet on it.

Moreover, s/he would be well within their rights to do so.
At that point, they won't have come directly from a retailer -
they could reasonably imagine all sorts of ways in which such
a blemish could have occurred.

As someone who worked several years in retail - in a very
busy store where we also took trade-ins and resold used
gear - plus having sold online via various platforms -
I would do my level best to get a clean, new set of 500e's.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #3,895 of 6,729
Hi all,

You're right, I'm seeing with the retailer what they can do. It bother me, for a new product, at that price, and like Stacker45 said, it's not because it's "handmade" that a scratch could be considered normal.

I'll keep you in touch !

Except that, it's really a gorgeous headphone, even if it's not burned in yet !

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #3,896 of 6,729
ahhhh, the quality control issue rears its ugly head again, without pain, there is no pleasure

as long as sales grow, and returned unit numbers stay within their built in projections , why change ? 
i as the consumer, have a choice, i choose grado's
not saying i don't wish they'd change, i think a business should always strive to improve, 

i've only bought one brand new grado(gs1000e), it was perfect(and i tried very hard to find a defect), and all the used grado's i've bought, i was pleased with their condition,just normal wear and tear
i guess i've been lucky

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #3,897 of 6,729
  ahhhh, the quality control issue rears its ugly head again, without pain, there is no pleasure

as long as sales grow, and returned unit numbers stay within their built in projections , why change ? 
i as the consumer, have a choice, i choose grado's
not saying i don't wish they'd change, i think a business should always strive to improve, 

i've only bought one brand new grado(gs1000e), it was perfect(and i tried very hard to find a defect), and all the used grado's i've bought, i was pleased with their condition,just normal wear and tear
i guess i've been lucky

Same here...my SR80's, 125's, 225's, 225i's, 325is's (twice), RS1i's (and even the RS1e's which
I returned) were all flawless (didn't like the sound or 'comfort' of the RS1e's).

Mar 3, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #3,899 of 6,729
  I have not opened the cups myself, but considering that Magnums are made exclusively from 325/MS2 drivers, I don't think it's the same from 225.
Plus the 225 and 325 lines have always been very different in term of sound. 225 leans towards warmer while 325 is brighter and more detailed. 

Hey thanks. I got wondering because I was looking to see what the construction changes were between 225i or e to 325i or e. I think it is just the housing. I was looking for info on the housing and came across this, and was surprised to see part of the housing made from the black plastic.  

I found it watching this dude's recent review of the 325is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mi4w2Byk0g

Yeah I wasn't meaning has anyone looked inside the 225-325. What I meant was, say on the Grado website, they usually list what is changed from the previous model. As far as I can see the aluminium housing is the only change for the 325. (Plus the headband of course.) I wondered if anyone was any wiser. It seems to me the 225 and 325 are otherwise identical in construction, apart from headband and housing material. (I think it's the same driver, grill, cabling.)

I got a bit lost in your reply. I googled "Grado Magnum", and got lots of pictures of the ear-cups, or housing. Where you put "Magnums are made exclusively from 325/MS2 drivers". Did you mean the housing/magnums are "made exclusively for" those two headphones?

Yeah I suppose you could call the SR225i/e warm. I think of it as a plenty detailed, encompassing, full sound. Also like someone has polished the sound with a duster and polish, until it shines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back