Grado e Series
Feb 28, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #3,856 of 6,729
  By the way Joseph, is it just me, or the RS2s have never been more popular, than they have been the last few days?. They've always been in the RS1's shadow, it's nice to see them get some respect.

+1
The RS-2x was never really mentioned much as long as I've been here…like you said, they were always in the shadows of the
RS-1x. Although I've never heard the RS-2x [size=x-small]I'm sure they always sounded great, but most, like myself went straight for the RS-1x probably because they didn't want to always be wondering[/size][size=x-small]should I have bought the RS-1x being the RS-2x were great…how [/size]
[size=x-small]much better can it get???? I should have bought the RS-1x!!! [/size]
confused_face_2.gif

I'm not sure, but there may be no wood at all in those cups. 

Correct, no wood driver housings in the SR-325x.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3,857 of 6,729
Now that they're much more different in sound the rs2 is no longer living in the rs1s shadow. For those who like the rs1i sound theres the rs2 and for people like me who found the rs1i too bright theres the rs1e.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #3,858 of 6,729
Originally Posted by ghingus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did pull the cups slightly away from my ears and found the Grado sound starting to come back a bit (more air, treble, soundstage) so I believe those people that say the RS1e sounds good with the G-cush pads, but I didn't want to spend $50 to try it out. I'm returning them ASAP.

Very good idea.  If I had returned mine within the 30-day window I had I'd have a lot more money in the bank.  The whole mess has left me disappointed me in Grado for failing to deliver... it takes a lot of trust in a company to drop $700 on a headphone without even hearing it, and Grado earned that over years of consistently great products.  The RS1e is the only bad Grado I've heard. 

That said, I'm thinking I'll risk buying the RS2e to see how they stack up to the RS1i directly, this time ensuring that I decide within the return window.   Thanks for the opinions... I've yet to hear someone say something about the RS2e that doesn't make me want to try it. 

Unless, that is, the G-cush turns the rs1e into the gs1000i sound, which some headfiers are saying is true and I think could very well be possible.

The G-cush pads really did sound amazing.  The treble was very Grado-like and the soundstage was surprisingly realistic and natural.  So much more realistic, in fact, that it did sound as if the headphones were designed with those pads in mind (again, just in terms of the placement and realism).  

The reduced/weaker bass was really the Achilles heel, though.  Bass just didn't have enough impact or prominence in the mix, so the music often sounded a little dull.  The treble was also a tad too bright (although that may not have stood out as a problem if the bass were solid to balance it out) and the mids were notably thinner.

So while I found them to completely fix the muffled treble problem they weren't quite enough to make the RS1e great.  It was very clear that the drivers were not balanced for the extra treble and reduced bass of the G-cush.  A pad in between the G and L cush would probably make them sing, and that's probably the only solution Grado has that could resolve things cleanly.  All current RS1e owners could be sent a free pair, everyone's happy...  not likely to happen, though.   

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #3,859 of 6,729

. I've yet to hear someone say something about the RS2e that doesn't make me want to try it. 

I feel pretty confident saying that if somone already knows they like the Grado signature in general, they will really like the RS-2e. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #3,860 of 6,729
From what I gather....the only Grado that is a real dud.....from the original series all the way thru the e series....is the RS1e

It is the one Grado from all of the e series that I was interested in.

I found the RS1i to be very comfortable at only 9 oz.

Much more comfortable than the 325 even....I am a stickler for nice light cans and comfort....

Too bad about the RS1e....if i was to get another Grado, would be RS1i or RS2e

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #3,861 of 6,729

That's how I was brought up, so I agree with you 100%. Please, thank you, may I?, would it be possible?, sorry, etc..these words are now, few, and far between.

The only time this would happend to me, is when my Crohn's flares up, when it happends, I can go several days without turning my computer on.

By the way Joseph, is it just me, or the RS2s have never been more popular, than they have been the last few days?. They've always been in the RS1's shadow, it's nice to see them get some respect.

+1
The RS-2x was never really mentioned much as long as I've been here…like you said, they were always in the shadows of the
RS-1x. Although I've never heard the RS-2x [size=x-small]I'm sure they always sounded great, but most, like myself went straight for the RS-1x probably because they didn't want to always be wondering[/size][size=x-small]should I have bought the RS-1x being the RS-2x were great…how [/size]
[size=x-small]much better can it get???? I should have bought the RS-1x!!! [/size]
confused_face_2.gif

Correct, no wood driver housings in the SR-325x.

I feel pretty confident saying that if somone already knows they like the Grado signature in general, they will really like the RS-2e. 

i too just overlooked the rs2 to run straight to the rs1i,sometimes it's good to venture out from the norm, if we don't, we could miss some gems , 
and i kindly thank you guys for all the great input, it's much appreciated ! 
wink.gif
 in the hotel business, if you weren't polite and gracious, you can get fired, and being gracious can be tough when some drunk is yelling and slobbering on you , lol
it is a lot easier here lol

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #3,862 of 6,729
I think that the RS2 and the SR125 (all versions) are the least-mentioned Grados of all. The MS2 and the MSPro also don't pop up that much, but it seems the RS2 and the 125 are the least fortunate of all. In the case of the SR125, I think more people'd go for a MS1, while the RS2, like you guys said, are often overlooked since it's the smaller brother of the RS1. 

Back when I had the MS Pro (i series), I also auditioned the RS2i. Honestly I don't remember much about it - must have found it a so-so Grado. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #3,863 of 6,729
  I think that the RS2 and the SR125 (all versions) are the least-mentioned Grados of all. The MS2 and the MSPro also don't pop up that much, but it seems the RS2 and the 125 are the least fortunate of all. In the case of the SR125, I think more people'd go for a MS1, while the RS2, like you guys said, are often overlooked since it's the smaller brother of the RS1. 

Back when I had the MS Pro (i series), I also auditioned the RS2i. Honestly I don't remember much about it - must have found it a so-so Grado. 

the ms2i is killer ! i loved mine, never heard the proi, i heard the msPROe, i didn't like it at all

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #3,865 of 6,729
The MS-Pro (before i) that I have is a very nice headphone. I have it modified with distancers and the G-cush. I always come back to them and to the SR325i.... the SR325e are nice headphones and if I had them as my only HPs I would love them. But caught between the SR325i, the MS pro and the HF1 they have a hard time. The SR325e sounds to my ears like a headphone when the SR325i is running after the laws of PS500. Because of their personality they keep their sharpness to some extend but the mids are less present and on the other hand they sound with more body because they have more bass. I think they are a good allrounder, like the MS-Pro. The MS-Pro excells them. For certain songs the SR325i (you can't beat vocals on the SR325i) or the HF-1 are better... but ifyou look for just one headphone and you are immune to the symptoms of head-fi, I think you should listen to the SR325e...

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,866 of 6,729
  The G-cush pads really did sound amazing.  The treble was very Grado-like and the soundstage was surprisingly realistic and natural.  So much more realistic, in fact, that it did sound as if the headphones were designed with those pads in mind (again, just in terms of the placement and realism).   

By default I don't think the G-cush pads sound good on anything but the headphones it was designed for, along with the PS500. The treble just kicks you in the face for any other model.

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #3,868 of 6,729
Hey Grado people - Thanks for all of the pages (and pages) of great Grado info. I recently started using a pair of SR-80e Grados for video editing.  I really love those headphones for everyday listening - nice and portable and they sound great.  But I still wanted a higher end headphone to check mixes so I just bought a pair of RS-2e’s.  I highly recommend auditioning these cans - great so far...

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #3,869 of 6,729
  Hey Grado people - Thanks for all of the pages (and pages) of great Grado info. I recently started using a pair of SR-80e Grados for video editing.  I really love those headphones for everyday listening - nice and portable and they sound great.  But I still wanted a higher end headphone to check mixes so I just bought a pair of RS-2e’s.  I highly recommend auditioning these cans - great so far...

Great choice 
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #3,870 of 6,729

I didn't much like the RS2i.  Not balanced > insufficient bass
for the amount of treble.  Ended up being fatiguing very quickly.

At the time, the RS1i perfectly filled out the missing bass and
became a thing of joy to the headphone community - much of
it, anyway.

And now it's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back