Grado e Series
Jun 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,729

tanner116

100+ Head-Fier
So, third generation of Grado, man. Thoughts? Impressions? Expectations? What do you think of Grado updating the line? Post any related thing here!

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 6,729
I ordered the PS500e today from 4OurEars.com, so I look forward to comparing them to my 2 month old PS500.  I'll be sure to give some feedback when they arrive in a week or so.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 6,729
Check the backs of the drivers on your 500s. If they are red you already have all the E technology.

Yeah I was sure to check that my current model didn't have any of the e series features before I bought the new ones today.  My serial number is 37**

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 6,729
  So, third generation of Grado, man. Thoughts? Impressions? Expectations? What do you think of Grado updating the line? Post any related thing here!

Here are my thoughts...barely (if any) differences between the first generation and subsequent "i" generation....so.... 
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 6,729
Probably best not to speculate. I do hope the newer versions have more/tighter bass and are more detailed. Looking forward to reading about others impressions too.

I'll wait a couple of months before I make the leap. Maybe grab a pair of 80's to compare to the one's I already own.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 6,729
I have already gotten to listen and compare the new e version of the entry level SR60 to the SR60i and the differences were real with the e having a more refined overall sound especially through the mids and highs. They sounded better than the i and good out of the box but did improve with break in. The improvements took one of headphone's classic best buy values and brought it up several notches. I will be moving in on one of the higher range models in the next few weeks or so and will then have more to report.

Recommended....... :wink:

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 6,729
I now have about 50 hours break in on my e version SR60, my general feeling on the Grados that I have owned that is a minimum and I usually find 100 hours + the point where they really start showing their true character.

:)

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 6,729
I bought my PS500 about a month ago and they came with "red drivers" and they also are terminated with the 1/8 headphone jack. So I guess I got an early e series headphone. They sound amazing. The PS500 were known for having a slight rolled off treble, but everything is right on, I am impressed. Very pure headphone here.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 6,729
I have a pair of final run 80i's with the e improvements. I think they sound fantastic, altho the only thing is I haven't heard the previous gen. 80i's, and therefore no real perspective on the differences. That said, I DO have a pair of 60i's that I can compare to, I just need to spend some time w/ each to assess them more critically.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 6,729
my biggest problem with grado headphones were the ease of damaging the cable with how the cans earily twirl and twist the cable, and the inability to easily replace damaged cables. E series appears to still have this problem, so not going to get any unfortunately.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 6,729
Sorry to hear you have had problems with the cabling. Having owned and used extensively quite a few different models of Grado over the past 15 years I have never had an issue with any of them. That includes a vintage RS1 that is one of my main go to phones. I do generally take care with neatening the cable when ipack them between listening sessions. The i series from the SR225 on up also have had a substantially heavier cable than the earlier versions and will undoubtably continue through with the new e series. Being a hobbyist who has preached the gospel of headphone listening I have quite a large number of friends who also own Grados from entry level on up. Believe me I would be the first to hear if they had any issues. If you like PM me and I can send photos of how I package the various models I have, maybe they might help you reconsider your position. I currently own the e series version of the SR60 and comparing it to the i version was an ear opener. I will be looking to add another PS500 in the next month or so.

Regards.... :cool:

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 6,729
  my biggest problem with grado headphones were the ease of damaging the cable with how the cans earily twirl and twist the cable, and the inability to easily replace damaged cables. E series appears to still have this problem, so not going to get any unfortunately.

The cables on MS-1(and similarly SR80?) do get twisted around quite easily, but further up the model range, the hf2(and similarly ps500?) and ps1k cables are pretty thick and heavy and do not get twisted easily.

I believe the new 12conductor cables should be even heavier and could be even more damage resistant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back