Grado e Series
Feb 27, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #3,826 of 6,729

I have pre-ordered the Audeze EL-8.

Now I'm very close to pull the trigger on the Grado RS2e. 
rolleyes.gif

LOL, I've just bought the RS2e.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #3,828 of 6,729
If you just listen to rock. 325e will do but iit sounds like you listen to other genres. I would go with 500e.

Yes absolutely I have no genre preference. Beethoven's 6th symphony can play back to back three times easily before I realise it's time for a change. Same with Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido, vinyl track-listing, (if you can forgive the slightly rough studio recording). A bit of Rush, Yes, and Zep. I like practically every music type, like pop/trance/anthems tunes on the radio, or soulful stuff like Emeli Sande. 

About the only stuff I don't like is rap because there is nothing there, in what I have heard. Mostly it comes across as chanting at constant pitch, and nearly everything ending in 'eeee'. Seems to be taking a musically backward evolutionary step. Back to the plainsong/plainchant days, circa 1100AD. Might be the odd good track though.

I concluded the PS500e divide opinion, from harsh, shouty, and bassy; to full-bodied, solid, accurate, and lustrously brilliant.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #3,829 of 6,729
  LOL, I've just bought the RS2e.

Congrats...I've had mine burning in for nearly a week non-stop. I've noticed some subtle changes, as I typically listen to them for an hour a day to gauge the differences. These are fantastic little headphones. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #3,830 of 6,729
Still loving my Grado PS500e. Trying out a few different amp/DACs. Trying to find the right one for me. I, still very curious about the RS2e. It will probably be my next pair of Grados. Unless i pick up a pair of the 325is.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #3,831 of 6,729
I've posted a similar question in the PS1000 impressions thread. I'm curious about the PS1000e as an occasional change of taste from my HD800. Before I commit to the PS1000e, I was wondering if there is a lesser model in the Grado line that will provide a taste of what the PS1000e has to offer. Is there a representative little brother to the PS1000e in the current Grado line that would inform me as to the sonic character of the PS1000e?

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #3,832 of 6,729
Still loving my Grado PS500e. Trying out a few different amp/DACs. Trying to find the right one for me. I, still very curious about the RS2e. It will probably be my next pair of Grados. Unless i pick up a pair of the 325is.

Same here, except it's the 500e I gotta hear...as others pointed out, opinions on those seem to run the gamut, so gotta give them a listen myself. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #3,833 of 6,729

X2 They are fantastic headphones, no matter the genre, love em!

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #3,834 of 6,729
Feb 28, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #3,835 of 6,729
Has anyone here ever actually done a blind test on Grado headpphones - for example comparing the original phones with the 'i' series, or the 'i' series with the new 'e' series? A lot of people find it hard to really tell the difference between 60s, 80, 125s etc, and I wondered if those with ears better than mind had ever actually done this?

For the record, I'm a long time reader here, but first time poster and have just acquired a virtually new set of RS2es, and comparing them to my PS500. It's hard to make a direct comparison as I have to plug them into different ports on my Fiio E9, or use a quality adaptor which I have misplaced! I definitely think the PS500s are smoother and have more bass all round, but still love the excitement of the RS2e. Can't decide which to keep!!

Orb.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #3,836 of 6,729
X2 They are fantastic headphones, no matter the genre, love em!

That's an interesting point, and based on my experience with them so far, I can vouch for the fact that the RS-2e is a bit of an all-rounder. Tonight I'm watching Season 3 of House of Cards, and at the beginning of episode 1 there was a motorcyle that drove on screen. The RS-2e rendered it beautifully and gave me the physical sensation of being right in front of a real bike pulling up. Thats the sort of realism that I look for in both speakers and headphones...and it also sums up WHY I place such emphasis on quality audio reproduction with movies: When the audio can actually create a physical sensation, they've accomplished their goal. That's why I love Magnepan speakers, and that's why I have a love for Grado and Audeze headphones in particular. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #3,837 of 6,729
Has anyone here ever actually done a blind test on Grado headpphones - for example comparing the original phones with the 'i' series, or the 'i' series with the new 'e' series? A lot of people find it hard to really tell the difference between 60s, 80, 125s etc, and I wondered if those with ears better than mind had ever actually done this?

For the record, I'm a long time reader here, but first time poster and have just acquired a virtually new set of RS2es, and comparing them to my PS500. It's hard to make a direct comparison as I have to plug them into different ports on my Fiio E9, or use a quality adaptor which I have misplaced! I definitely think the PS500s are smoother and have more bass all round, but still love the excitement of the RS2e. Can't decide which to keep!!

Orb.

I did kind of a blind test with the 225i/225e models and at first I could not really tell the difference and they sounded about the same. It was only after I'd spent quite a bit of time listening to each one that I began to notice the differences and was able to tell them apart.

The ps500 is the better all rounder where as the rs2 is a master of a few genres so I guess it depends on how varied your music tastes are.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #3,838 of 6,729
I did kind of a blind test with the 225i/225e models and at first I could not really tell the difference and they sounded about the same. It was only after I'd spent quite a bit of time listening to each one that I began to notice the differences and was able to tell them apart.

The ps500 is the better all rounder where as the rs2 is a master of a few genres so I guess it depends on how varied your music tastes are.

That's my impression I guess - but what genres would you say the RS2e excelled in?

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #3,839 of 6,729

That's my impression I guess - but what genres would you say the RS2e excelled in?

For me it was rock, vocal and acoustic music which really came alive. For other genres i enjoy like hip-hop, pop and edm they sounded thin and lacked the bass to make things enjoyable. Thats why i went with the ps500 as it handles most genres very well. I did find the rs2s more comfortable tho due to the lighter weight and the headband seemed to fit the shape of my head better.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #3,840 of 6,729

For me it was rock, vocal and acoustic music which really came alive. For other genres i enjoy like hip-hop, pop and edm they sounded thin and lacked the bass to make things enjoyable. Thats why i went with the ps500 as it handles most genres very well. I did find the rs2s more comfortable tho due to the lighter weight and the headband seemed to fit the shape of my head better.

The weight difference is really noticeable. I picked up the PS500 for £270 and the RS2E for £250 so both good deals...

I feel like setting up a competition with a reward for anyone who can consistently distinguish between 60, 80, 125, 225, 325, Rs2e and Rs1e in proper blind testing...

?

Orb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back