Grado e Series
Mar 3, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #3,901 of 6,729

I believe the frequency response is also different on the 225/325…not just the construction/headband?

Good point!
SR225e - Frequency Response: 20 - 22,000 hz
SR325e - Frequency Response: 18 - 24,000 hz

In fact it was your post a couple of pages back corrected me about the construction of the 325e. It was where you said there is no wood in the 325e. I had known this for some time, but somehow forgotten and thought they used mahogany inside like the PS500/e.

I wrote on my thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/754371/grado-sri-red-drivers-are-they-sre-drivers/15#post_11337364), about what I thought the 325e advantage over the 225e was. I said, "I personally speculate that the 325e will sound richer, with better acoustics from the wood/aluminium case".

I must change that ASAP.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #3,902 of 6,729
  Good point!
SR225e - Frequency Response: 20 - 22,000 hz
SR325e - Frequency Response: 18 - 24,000 hz

In fact it was your post a couple of pages back corrected me about the construction of the 325e. It was where you said there is no wood in the 325e. I had known this for some time, but somehow forgotten and thought they used mahogany inside like the PS500/e.

I wrote on my thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/754371/grado-sri-red-drivers-are-they-sre-drivers/15#post_11337364), about what I thought the 325e advantage over the 225e was. I said, "I personally speculate that the 325e will sound richer, with better acoustics from the wood/aluminium case".

I must change that ASAP.

Yeah, no wood in the 325, so its not just the construction/materials which make the 225/325/different, it also the drivers.
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3,903 of 6,729

Hey thanks. I got wondering because I was looking to see what the construction changes were between 225i or e to 325i or e. I think it is just the housing. I was looking for info on the housing and came across this, and was surprised to see part of the housing made from the black plastic.  

I found it watching this dude's recent review of the 325is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mi4w2Byk0g

Yeah I wasn't meaning has anyone looked inside the 225-325. What I meant was, say on the Grado website, they usually list what is changed from the previous model. As far as I can see the aluminium housing is the only change for the 325. (Plus the headband of course.) I wondered if anyone was any wiser. It seems to me the 225 and 325 are otherwise identical in construction, apart from headband and housing material. (I think it's the same driver, grill, cabling.)

I got a bit lost in your reply. I googled "Grado Magnum", and got lots of pictures of the ear-cups, or housing. Where you put "Magnums are made exclusively from 325/MS2 drivers". Did you mean the housing/magnums are "made exclusively for" those two headphones?

Yeah I suppose you could call the SR225i/e warm. I think of it as a plenty detailed, encompassing, full sound. Also like someone has polished the sound with a duster and polish, until it shines.

Symphones Magnums is a line of modded Grados from Martin Custom audio that sells for about $500 - 600 new, if I'm not wrong. I've not heard them myself. Magnums are based on 325/MS2 with entirely new cups and modded drivers. 

As of Grado materials I think it goes like this:
- SR60 - SR225 + MS1: entirely plastic
- SR325 + MS2: aluminum (with a lot of plastic inside, though?)
- RS2, RS1, MS Pro, GS1k: mahogany
- PS500 + PS1k: mahogany inside, aluminum outside

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #3,904 of 6,729
It may be there are significant enough physical changes going from 225e to 325e to warrant spending on upgrade. I thought it was pretty much  headband + aluminium. This was kind of reinforced by a few comments saying the 225e and 325e are very close in sound.

I have been dancing around the idea of upgrading. The 325e - 500e route was my main thought. I spotted some returned 500e for about £400. Since they retail at £600 in the UK that was significantly tempting idea. Anyway now they are gone, so never mind. The 500e is only tempting at full price if it is seriously accurate in the way some say. I.E. nearly as good as the PS1000e, for 1/3 the price. I really would have to audition them I guess, knowing some people are not keen.

The RS2e I had another reservation about. I read someone's impressions of the GS1000 and they said they smelled of wood. Meaning they got the odour every time they went near them. Bit nervous about the mahogany ones now. However I have a feeling someone will correct me and say they are fine.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3,905 of 6,729

The RS2e I had another reservation about. I read someone's impressions of the GS1000 and they said they smelled of wood. Meaning they got the odour every time they went near them. Bit nervous about the mahogany ones now. However I have a feeling someone will correct me and say they are fine.

This is my very first time hearing someone complaining about this. To be fair none of my Grados have "odour" at all, except for the 325e and 325is that have cheap-soap-like smells on their cups. The cups of my RS1i is no longer shiny, but they do retain a bit of wood-scent that I find somewhat pleasant (if in the right amount, of course).

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #3,907 of 6,729
Wood that smells like WOOD???  What the hell is Grado thinking!?!?

AHHHH, the HORRRROR!!!

tongue.gif

Just funnin' with ya...I can smell the pads, but don't notice any odor on the wood. If you get up close and sniff it, it smells like you'd expect, but it's nothing that would be unusual. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #3,908 of 6,729
  This is my very first time hearing someone complaining about this. To be fair none of my Grados have "odour" at all, except for the 325e and 325is that have cheap-soap-like smells on their cups. The cups of my RS1i is no longer shiny, but they do retain a bit of wood-scent that I find somewhat pleasant (if in the right amount, of course).

This. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #3,910 of 6,729
  Wood that smells like WOOD???  What the hell is Grado thinking!?!?

AHHHH, the HORRRROR!!!

tongue.gif

Just funnin' with ya...I can smell the pads, but don't notice any odor on the wood. If you get up close and sniff it, it smells like you'd expect, but it's nothing that would be unusual. 

No no it's fine, (that's funny post and absolutely no offence taken). I read a review, I think it was one of those amateur ones that look professional. Not sure now - vague memory. The reviewer mentioned it was quite strong. I went looking for it again because "lehoang15tuoi" mention surprise complaint of it. I didn't find it yet but I will post the link if I do.

On the surface I guess the question seemed fairly unimportant. Only for me it was actually for me quite serious, because I am an allergy sufferer. I know you might not expect anyone to be allergic to wood odour. However from what I read in the review I saw I think I would be slightly allergic. I react quite badly to quite a lot of odours. My allergies are serious, and the result is they have blocked up my sinuses. I suffer sinus headaches 24/7. There's about eight sinuses I think. When they get blocked they produce pain in an X shape across the bridge of the nose..........Normal wood though however much I remember liking the smell of freshly cut timber, it's a bad smell to me. All scents that I know trigger me, I recoil from. Some wood can smell sweet and scented, an instant panic from me.

As I said if I find the link I'll put it here somewhere. I found it searching GS1000e I think a couple of weeks ago, when I got fed up with my 325e - 500e indecision.

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #3,912 of 6,729
Yeh yeh . Thanks Focker. Simply meant it when I said, meant no offence taken and said, "it's fine". Thanks vm for the time and the info in the PM. It looks like it might well be a quality-of-life changer.

The Grado RS2e is lusciously amazing to look at. I have been looking longingly at them on Amazon. This is their sale picture.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RS2e-Reference-Series-Backed-Headphone/dp/B00L1O64X6/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1425425310&sr=8-21&keywords=grado

It's an external Amazon seller though and I am nervous about those. Amazon don't stock them. I prefer the Amazon no quibble return if anything is not right.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #3,913 of 6,729
  Yeh yeh . Thanks Focker. Simply meant it when I said, meant no offence taken and said, "it's fine". Thanks for the info in the PM. It might be a life-changer.

The Grado RS2e is lusciously amazing to look at. I have been looking longingly at them on Amazon. This is their sale picture.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RS2e-Reference-Series-Backed-Headphone/dp/B00L1O64X6/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1425425310&sr=8-21&keywords=grado

It's an external Amazon seller though and I am nervous about those. Amazon don't stock them. I prefer the Amazon no quibble return if anything is not right.

They are great looking ‘phones - they’ve recently changed the headbands from black to tan leather.  That picture must be from an early run of the 2e.  I usually prefer darker wood/leather colors, so when I went to buy a pair of 2e’s the other day, I was hoping for black, but when I saw the tan/mahogany combo I actually liked the look.  I also lucked out because the wood and leather ended up being darker than some of the examples I’ve seen online - which I prefer...

These are really great headphones - they sound as good as they look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back